CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake X 02/08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Lake X 02/08 Reply with quote

I apologize for the "Lake X" report, but I don't want to get anyone into trouble or spoil anything for them. Read on and you'll understand what I mean. If you have to know the name of the lake, send me a PM. Maybe I'll tell you. Wink

A buddy told me there was good ice on a lake that we've fished during the Summer. It's a bit of a hike to the lake, kind of like the hike to Breakneck Pond, and the sunnies and largemouth bass in the pond are just as unpressured. I discovered that I'm woefully out of shape before I finally arrived at the beach on the south end of the west shore where the nudists hang out during the Summer. I said "hang out". Get it? Laughing

When I arrived at 12:45 pm, the sky was totally overcast, the air temperature was still below freezing and there was a slight south wind. The edge of the ice at the beach was solid. I drilled a hole about 20 feet out. The ice was 4-1/2 inches thick and there was 12 feet of water underneath it. I moved out 15 more feet and found four inches of ice over 17 feet of water. I moved out another 15 feet and found 3-1/2 inches of ice over 22 feet of water. Shocked I slowly moved back toward the beach. Rolling Eyes Since I had to hike to the lake, I didn't bring any traps with me. I had just my Nils auger, a scooper and a jigging setup. I jigged the holes that I drilled by the beach, but didn't get any action, so I began moving up the east shore, drilling and jigging along the way. The ice ranged from four to five inches thick and the water from two to 20 feet deep. I didn't get even a nibble. After an hour, my inappropriately dressed buddy dropped by to see how I was doing and try out my auger:

After my buddy left, I continued to drill holes and jig up the east shore. I got absolutely nothing for 1-1/2 hours. Crying or Very sad When I got to the area where the lake narrows to only 80 feet across, I worked my way toward the west shore. About 20 feet from the west shore, I found 3-3/4 inches of ice over 15 feet of water and finally got a nibble. Very Happy I set the hook and pulled up what I thought might be a small chain pickerel when I first saw it in the hole, but soon realized was a small trout when I got it onto the ice:

It was a pretty little nine inch brookie! The photo doesn't do it justice. It had sporadically placed bright pink spots on its sides and was very frisky. I took the photo and quickly sent it back down the hole without ever picking it up. I didn't get even another nibble before I got off of the ice at 4:30 pm and began the hike back out to my car. I gotta get into better shape. Maybe I'll head back there tomorrow. Wink

Okay, here's a hint about where I was:

Last edited by PECo on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where that is Very Happy
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
I know where that is Very Happy

Yup! So do I.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: