CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Tyler Lake 02/16
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Tyler Lake 02/16 Reply with quote

After jonnyfly00 (aka Jon) and I saw that we couldn't get onto the ice at Dog Pond, we headed over to Tyler Lake. There were only three cars in the lot when we arrived at 8:45 am. The sky was totally overcast and there was no wind. The ice was still totally locked to the state boat launch ramp. It looked like there was more skim ice over the open water in the southwest corner of the lake than there was a couple of days ago. The water was clear down to seven or eight feet. We decided to set our traps in fairly shallow water only 50 yards south of the state boat launch ramp. We each set five in six to eight feet of water. I began jigging among the weeds in eight feet of water, while Jon slowly worked his way into the deeper water, down to 15 feet. I got a solid hit on my firetiger Hali right away and iced a largemouth bass. It was only a 14 inch long one pounder, but it was my first keeper of 2012. Whoo hoo! Very Happy :

Meanwhile, Jon was jigging up yellow perch in the deeper water. He iced six of them, but never really got into a concentrated school. After my bass, I got a few nibbles, but didn't set the hook on anything. I had to swap out my setup, because the handle on my Frabill Straight Line reel unscrewed itself. Confused I began jigging a perch eye jig with a micro jig tied on about a foot above it. I got nada. At 11:00 am, I finally gave up on the shallower water and headed over to fish one of Jon's old holes in the deeper water. He came over to talk and just as I was telling him that I wasn't getting anything, I got a hit. Shocked :

Go figure, after almost two hours of NOTHING, I get A DOUBLE of 8-1/2 inch long yellow perch! Laughing Jon didn't jig up anything else, although he chased four flags. Unfortunately, one fish spit the shiner, two fish got off in the weeds and the one he iced was just a 13 inch chain pickerel. I got one false flag and that was it. My traps were a complete waste of time, today. However, I jigged up three more yellow perch and a 13 inch chain pickerel of my own:

Before we got off of the ice at 1:00 pm, a five mile per hour south breeze began to blow and it began to snow. For those who want to fish Tyler Lake this weekend, I'm confident that the ice will hold up fine. We found six to 7-1/2 inches of ice everywhere that we drilled holes. Very Happy

Last edited by PECo on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good times!
bdiggy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice is no good on Dog hey? Excellent! It's one of the first open water spots I like to hit before the weeds get crazy in the late spring. I want another shot at the pickerel that broke my spinnerbait in half last year!
AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: I too went to Dog Reply with quote

Yeah, it was disappointing seeing I couldn't get onto the ice at Dog. I went up 2/15 and I tried Winchester too. Some ol' drunk guy told me in a Tommy Chong sounding voice "it's like a water mattress out there" out there(and began to bounce up and down as if he was on one). I didn't listen after I dug a whole with 5-6 good inches and headed out to cross the lake, digging whole along the way. He was right...once I came near the center(4th or 5th whole maybe) I felt the ice moving under my feet, and dug a whole with only about 3 inches and headed back in. I guess the cold snap wasn't cold enough The same guy came up and looked in my minnow bucket and said, "well, you caught a couple small ones, how many cranks with the auger out there, 1 1/2?" Lol, I got my balls busted a bit. But, a friend of his advised me to go to Stillwater, and I did. I didn't get on the ice till 4pm but got 3 bass and a sunny. I went the next day too from 12pm-4pm and landed 6 bass, 2 sunnies and a perch with my girlfriend. I'm a first timer here.....lets see if I can get this pic up. My girlfriend landed 3 bass in less than 5 minutes...the last two we got a picture of before sending back. Got a pic of her 4th one too, and a dinky perch of mine.

PECo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch! Nice fish, too. Laughing

I'm glad that you were able to get onto the ice at Stillwater Pond. How thick was the ice there? jonnyfly00 and I wondered about it when we drove past Route 272 on our way home from Tyler Lake.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 5-6 inches where we were at.
AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: