CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Recipes
Viewing Topic: Smoked Fish!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Smoked Fish! Reply with quote

So this is a good recipe that I have been using for a while. You need to have a smoker in order to make it, but let me tell you....if you don't have a smoker you are missing out! I make lots of meats and fishes on my two smokers at home and my they are delicious!

You will need

-1 Tilapia and 1 Salmon (roughly 1.5-2lbs)
-Stick of butter (can be salted or unsalted your choice)
-Lemon Pepper Marinade (they make difference ones they sell em at the grocery store. Just make sure its a liquid of course in a bottle)

Directions

-Take a pan and cut the butter into chunks and spread around. Also put about a little more than half the marinade in there.
-Place filets of fish inside the pan, then pour the rest of the marinade on top
-Place inside smoker at low heat (about 225-250)
-Cook for about 45min to an hour until the fish looks like its cooked and isnt see through obviously

For the smoker, it obviously depends what type of flavoring you would like. I love using hickory wood its my absolute favorite.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluefish is the best one to smoke!

Filet from a 5 pound harbor blue smoked to perfection! Delicious fishy, oily flavor!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Old Maine fisherman's trick -> soak the Blue fish fillets in "whole milk" overnight will draw out some of the heavy fishy taste they have before cooking or smoking.

SeaDog1
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELICIOUS! I wonder why there arent that many posts in this area? I know many people practice catch and release but eating a good catch once in a while is great.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoke a lot of salmon, bluefish and stripers. I have both an electric and charcoal smoker. I prefer the charcoal although the electric is a bit easier to use and control heat. I generally smoke at about 180-190 degress and use hickory and apple wood. I prefer self cut chunks of wood from area trees . Soak the dried wood chunks for about a half hour before use. Once the charcoal is going throw in a handfull of wood chunks or enough to really make some smoke. Add more as needed. Add more charcoal as needed as you go along.
I make a brine of about a gallon of water in a large plastic mixing bowl, a cup of kosher salt, a cup and a quarter of brown sugar, some dried onion flakes( about half a tablespoon) and about 5 Bay leaves, crumbled. Mix well and add the fillets , with the skin on. I put a plate over the fish to hold them under the brine liquid. Put the bowl in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning take out the fish and rinse fish and pat dry.Save the brine. Put them in a flat pan skin side down and let the fish stand for an hour or so. You'll feel the fish flesh getting a little sticky. My smoker has a place to put the brine in a pan below the fish racks and use it to add moisture to the fish as it smokes. Put the fish on the racks in skin side down. I like to spray some cooking oil on the racks first to keep fish from sticking. Put the racks in the smoker and smoke for about four hours or until the fish is done. Smoke longer if you like it more dry. There's really not much to go wrong. Enjoy!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Recipes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: