CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Careful with the trokars Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Careful with the trokars Reply with quote

They bend very easily.... definitely not for flipping/anything over 12lb test.

Had to re-tighten two different size j-hooks yesterday several times, would of hated to have one of those snap from being bent/unbent. Was bending them on 11 3/4in largies/rockbass in 8-10fow on a lizzard.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever thought that other brands of hooks weren't sharp enough? The infomercials and articles about Trokars sound good, but does a surgically sharp hook really make a difference for you? I haven't had any problems with the Gamakatsu hooks that I usually buy. I wouldn't hesitate to try other brands, but Gamakatsu seems to make hooks to suit almost all of my needs. The last time I bought non-Gamakatsu hooks was when I wanted to replace the hooks on some of my small Rapala lures:

I kept losing fish off of the smaller wire hooks that came on the Rapalas. I think that they simply ripped out of the fishes' mouths. The larger wire of the bigger hooks doesn't seem to do that. Very Happy Although, I have to admit that my choice of red for the color of the hooks was just some "if I were a fish, I'd go for a red hook" silliness. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never considered buying trokars

1. The price
2. I still have a ton of gamakatsus

Good to know they're not worth it. Sorry it happened to you. I think there's definitely give and take w sharpness and strength. The way I set hooks on bass I'll go w strength every time.

Phil, if I were a fish I'd bite a red hook too Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you go OWNER you don't go back. Twisted Evil I actually had to take of a pair of OWNER St-41s of my night time wake bait because I was hooking bass in all corners of there mouths. Trying to unhook a bass with a dying flashlight is not fun and those St-41s can cut diamonds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trokar has never let me down, for flipping/punching I exclusively use their flipping hook and it's by far the best I have ever used. As for everything else I stick with owner simply the best all around hook out there IMO
slim2043

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gammys Superline hooks in 3/0 & 4/0 for flipping. They're very strong and always sharp. Right through the top of the face every time. When I run out I may try something else if I don't feel the same way when I'm through w these.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use j hooks for light flipping/pitching and they shouldnt be bending like this. I only bought them when they were on sale guys. Normally a gammie/owner guy.

Just doing my part to steer people away. I certainly wont be trying any more of there hooks out.
hoppy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gammy's all the time
racingjd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Hooks Reply with quote

Have used gamakatsu for years, I would be hard pressed to try anything else. Good strength and very sharp
hoppy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the field test report nick. I havent tried them and wiont for sure now based on the field test. Ive been tying on gammy's aslong as ive been bass fishing. Ive NEVER had a hook fail. I stand by the "dont fix what isnt broke" rule. Ganny has and will always be my hook of choice.

so.............anyone have field tests on OWNER hooks?
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamakatsu's Number 4 Octopus Circle hooks have never failed on me when I had a fish on, but the wire used is soft enough to bend or break when snagged if the hook is tied onto 50 pound braid. I like that, because I don't like to have to leave a length of braid tied to a snagged hook in the water.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be hard pressed to bend Gammys superline hooks. They are strong and pretty damn sharp for a thick hook. But a good enough snag and strong enough line (and good enough knot) might do the trick. I haven't bent one yet though.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I never replace hooks and have caught potently of fish on this one Rusty worm hook in my box. I only used it for so long cause I was catching my fish on the same soft plastics a lot and had 3 hooks left that I kept pre rigged and I kept forgetting to buy more hooks. But remember losing a fish is more your fault than ur lure's or hook's unless obviously it does actually break or something then u get pissed and write a scathing email to the maker in hopes of getting some free stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant wait until I get my free trokars in the mail!!!
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x182dan wrote:
I cant wait until I get my free trokars in the mail!!!

Wait until you see the freakin shark hooks in the sample pack....lol

I received a pack of 7/0 hooks.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: