CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: A day of inconsiderate nuckleheads Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: A day of inconsiderate nuckleheads Reply with quote

So today just made me realize how inconsiderate some idiots are. I was really pissed today while I was out, and its one of the reasons why I launch early when I fish. Problem is, when I return to put my boat back on my trailer - there's all the morons who are so inconsiderate of others.

First off, I launched at Baldwin Bridge in Saybrook this morning. When I backed my boat into the water, there was a dead striper carcass. It smelled horrible and it was floating in the water. Seriously? First off someone's that impatient where they can't wait to get somewhere to do it? On top of it, drop all the crap right in the water?

I then got over to fish in Lyme where I originally planned on going. The day went okay, but when I went to come back around noon....more idiots came out. On my way back people were ripping through "No Wake" zones. I almost capsized at one point and didn't expect such a huge wake.

Thirdly, I make it almost to the dock where I am getting ready to put my boat back on the trailer. As I am coming in, some dude in a bass boat literally comes ripping out at full throttle out of the launch area into the river. Do these people take boating courses? Do they not understand what a "No Wake" zone is? I can't believe how ridiculous that was.

Then I finally tie my boat up. For anyone who has been to that launch knows it can be a circus during peak hours. After waiting for a while with my trailer, I finally get over and back into the water. As I am waiting to pull into the water...some idiot is taking his sweet ass time blocking everyone from coming in to station their boats onto the trailers. There was about 3 trailers backed in and people trying to pull their boats onto them (including me) and you have some guy taking his sweet time blocking everyone. Unreal...

As I finally get my boat onto the trailer and start to pull up, I see the striper carcass on the pavement smashed and reeking of dead fish. Seriously what a freakin day. I really can't deal with the stupidity and lack of morales. Sometimes I feel like people lack common sense. Anyways thats my venting session, I am sure you guys might see similar stuff out there all the time....today just really got to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I feel your anger!

I've spent my life, from the age of 5 to present 63, on boats ships, and the water.
The incidents I have seen occur and tell stories about would horrify you!

Statistical recordeds, kept by the US Coast Guard, are absolute proof that the greatest number of marine incidents yearly are caused by recreational boaters.

Lack of proper training, no marine courtesy towards fellow boaters, disregard for posted Speed Zones and No Wake - No Wash areas.
And worst of all -> Not obeying the "Rules of the Road" !

Your absolute right -> There are Idiots, Morons, and many very Stupid People who should not be operating boats at all !

Unfortunately the ranks of recreational boaters grows substantially each year.
All one can do is keep a very high level of awareness when on the water and do all you can to stay safe and avoid getting involved in an incident!

Best regards,
SeaDog1 "Never Give In ... Never Back Down"
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most uncomon thing in the world is Common Sence bud ... sad to say in many cases theres a lack of repect for otheres on launches getting out should be fast and easy...

1) back in..
2) trailer up
3) click safty chain
4) fast scan for items left behind and see if boat is safe
5) get off the ramp ..hit the parking lot to strap boat and sucure items
6) go home

all this shouled take no more than 5 min on the ramp but definately some ppl turn it into a camping trip when it comes to trailering up. All you can do is listen to the radio and look at your fishing pic's dont let morons f-up your day out.

Last edited by NWDarkcloud on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yup! Ran into that very same situation of inconsiderate people at West Hill today.

Boat ramp was clogged with kayakers and a few boaters loading and un-loading their boats and a number of them went thru the process of sitting there on the ramp taking their own sweet time while others where waiting to launch or recover their boats which included me.
All I could do was wait, shake my head, and watch the circus Exclamation
What got me and 2 other guys really riled where the 3 kayakers that bulled ,with their vehicles, past those of us that where waiting patiently and respectfully in line.
Man! Did they ever get an ear full from all 3 of us.
! kayaker actually said he didn't care and looked like he wanted to fight -> Oh! That was a BIG Mistake ! The 3 of us came together like (excuse the pun Winged Hussars) and said -> Bring it on !
Yeah! -> He backed off real quick, and all the way to the back of the line as did the other 2 !
SAP284 & NWDarkcloud-> To quote both of you -> Some people are absolutel Morons Exclamation

Also to quote the late George Carlin:

PLUS ...... It's never the boat's fault (no matter what type it is) -> It's always the driver's fault (no matter how it's propelled)

SeaDog1 "Never Give In ... Never Back Down"
TravelingSeas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add to the venting. This is my third summer with my first boat (29' chris craft) and I try to be as conscientious as possible to my fellow boater but my goodness each year it seems the people on the water are getting worse and worse.

First, jet skiers. What is it about these things that make people think they are above all laws on the water? Saturday I was pulling into Knapps landing to fuel up when this jetski with two riders comes burning in (which is a no wake zone btw) and stops right in front of the dock maybe 30 feet in front of me as I'm pulling in. I hit my horn and they look at me and ignore me. They're just sitting there! Not tying up, not there to refuel, just seemed like a good place to sit. I hit the horn again and the went to move but instead of gassing it they just dumped right in front of me!!! The current was coming towards me and I had to slam my engines into reverse and kick the throttle up. I almost hit these two clowns doing the doggy paddle trying to get back to their pwc that the current was dragging away from them! When they were finally out of my way I yelled out to them that what they did was some straight up bull**** and not even a look to acknowledge me.

Same day, this time up on the the housatonic by the island near shelton we are anchored, again in a no wake zone. This entire area is frequented by boaters anchored up, swimming, cooking, etc. There had to be two dozen other boats anchored here. My 7 year old daughter and I are jumping off the boat and swimming right beside it. As we lined up on the rail to jump again this jet skier comes burning in and starts doing donuts right next to our boat!!! I couldn't believe it. Last year a guy in a boat kept zooming through towing a tube. The entire length of the island is a no wake marked clearly with 5x5 foot signs posted at either end. His wake trashed my boat. My entire cabin was tossed around, things on the floor, kids banging their heads on things. I started up my boat and caught him down river as he was picking up his tossed tow passenger. I pulled up and asked him if he had insurance and he asked me why. I told him that hs wake tossed my boat around and I wanted to know who was going to cover the damages. He said he's been flying through that area for years. LOL that was his justification. I said so you've been an a-hole for years, that doesn't tell me who's going to take care of this mess downstairs. I made him get on my boat and go downstairs and clean up. Freaking punk.

The weekend before last we're coming back into the housatonic from the sound. A jet skier waves me down as he's being carried out the mouth. I pull up and ask him what's up. He says his engine is about to seize. So, I tie him up and tow him to Birdseye marina. But on the way I'm thinking so I ask, wait a second, there were four boats in front of me that passed you, why didn't you get them to help? He said he waved each of them down but every last one of them the operator looked at him and turned their head the other way!! Wtf is that!!!

Last year again at Knapps landing fueling up. A boat comes in from the sound, again, no wake zone, and comes through the no wake loaded with people and churning a HUGE wake with their 40 some odd foot boat. Not planed, just plowing water. They smash my boat against the dock. Me and two employees of the fueling point are trying to hold my boat from smashing into the dock while another lays on an air horn but they don't even slow down. I ended up meeting this clown up the river as they pulled into their marina. While they were tying up I asked wtf he thought he was doing and he said he was not aware his boat was throwing such a huge wake. How can you not be aware?! If you're not then who's supposed to be?!

Anchored in the sound fishing. Boats have the entire sound to maneuver. I'm not in any channel, I'm not sitting in the middle of a major lane of travel, but other boats have to come full throttle passing by me at anchor within 50'?? My kids are terrified to go out in the sound now because sometimes even I think we may capsize with the wakes these people put out so close.

Finally, last year again, at the mouth of the river where the no wake zone is clearly marked as extending from Rt 1 down to buoy 14, I am approaching buoy 12 going MAYBE 8 knots. The pump out boat from stratford with two kids in it was beside me but then hits the throttle and zooms in front of me!! I had to put the engines in neutral immediately or risk hitting them! I asked them wtf they thought they were doing and they said it was a no wake and I had a wake. Are you kidding? So you pull your boat in front of another that has kids on it? You don't hit an air horn, you actually block the path of a boat??? How irresponsible is that?! But in the end, they were wrong about the wake, I was NOT in a no wake zone and I would never behave that way in a no wake.

LOL, long post. Certainly not the only things I've been seeing on the water but a few of the things that stuck in my mind.

What can be done about boaters like this? It's inredibly frustrating. No one seems to know what horn blasts are for. There has to be more than can be done. Now I see a place at Brewers Marina is renting boats. Watch a 20 minute video and they give you a boat for 5 hours! I see these things crashing into docks when trying to refuel, no consideration for other boaters around them, one ran over and destroyed a no wake zone buoy while cruising through at considerable speed.etc. How can you do that?! 20 minutes??
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol so I am not alone. But really they should take the boating class over again, morons. I've come to realize its just like the road though, always going to be idiots out there. Eventually it's going to ruin it for the responsible boaters like you and I...and the DEP is going to get super strict.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt that part of the river get monitered pretty good?
TravelingSeas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a coast guard auxillary unit out there but I have seen them on patrol maybe a couple times in going on three years. Every other time their boat has been docked.

There HAS to be something that can be done about people like this. Just has to be.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yeap! Some boaters, skiers, and jet skiers have no consideration for others or any courtesy or obey speed and no wake zones.

I've seen some play chicken with the Rocky Hill and Chester ferries by cutting in front of them as they are just getting to their ferry landings or rocking them with large wake waves. "Now that's just plain STUPID Exclamation "

Also have seen some play chicken with the tug-boats towing fuel oil barges up and down the Ct. River from Weathersfield. -> "Again STUPID!"

When I moonlighted running the Haddam dinner boats, they did that to me also cutting in front of me back and forth across my bow. -> "STUPID!"

We USCG Licensed mariners (by Law) have to renew our license every 5 years + take an open book "Rules of the Road" exam.

The one time boaters course, conducted by most states, to get a state one time issued " Boaters Safety Certificate", is the Biggest Joke going we professional mariners have ever seen ! Shocked
"No way" can anyone learn the seamanship knowledge necessary on how to operate a boat properly in so short a period of time.

(NOTE:The USCG Auxilary boaters course is the best by far and worth every lesson and penny spent to take it !)

In my and other professional mariner opinions (and this should apply nation wide per state) that recreational boaters be required to renew their boater's certificate every 5 years, just as we pros do, and take an open book "Rules of the Road" exam.
That, with say a $25.00 certificate renewal fee -> That's just $5.00 per year. _. And "NO" Grandfathering for anyone no matter what age!
The rules do change periodically and that's why we pros are required, by Law, to update and refresh our knowledge of them every 5 years.

Other than that -> If you encounter a bad boat operator that causes you some sort of distress or violation (have a witness) -> Take his boat registration No. and report him to the DEEP.

I've been to court 3 times here in Ct. due to reporting a bad boater who caused me distress, and once I've shown the judge my USCG Unlimited Master Lic. -> That was it ! The judge knew that I had to, by Law, strictly obey all maritime laws and rules per (International, US, and State) without exception.
Judge's ruling was always in my favor and 2 bad boaters were fined heavily and 1 lost his certificate for 5 years.

Tonight I had an incident at West Hill with a discourteous Kayaker.
Had my boat ready to launch and backed down (to one side) at the top of the boat ramp.
Elderly couple on the ramp was having a hard time loading their car top boat and I, and 2 other lady kaykers (1 a friend) who just came in, assisted them to load their boat.
What happens next is this guy in a dark blue SUV with a kayak -> Zigs around my boat then Zags around the elderly couples vehicle (a very tight squeese) and unloads his kayak.
Didn't even ask if anyone was next in line to use the ramp before him.
When I confronted him about his discourteous action -> I got this STUPID "What? ... look and comment!".
Need I say more! Rolling Eyes

Anyway -> Stay aware, Stay safe, Be courteous to your fellow boaters!

SeaDog1 "Never Give In ... Never back Down"
hoppy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you simply cant fix stupid and inconsiderate people. They are all over our roads and water ways.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When hoppy and I were leaving the water at Lake McDonough on Sunday, there were a bunch of women in three cars unloading their kayaks. S-l-o-w-l-y unloading their kayaks. When a couple of them began wiping down their kayaks, an MDC Officer finally told them to get their cars off of the ramp.

Sorry to stereotype, but middle aged women kayakers are oblivious. I've been fishing the shore from 30 feet away and had them paddle between me and the shore. Plus, they seem to think that since the word "kayak" has the word "yak" in it, they have to talk loudly about nothing the entire time they're on the water. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
When hoppy and I were leaving the water at Lake McDonough on Sunday, there were a bunch of women in three cars unloading their kayaks. S-l-o-w-l-y unloading their kayaks. When a couple of them began wiping down their kayaks, an MDC Officer finally told them to get their cars off of the ramp.

Sorry to stereotype, but middle aged women kayakers are oblivious. I've been fishing the shore from 30 feet away and had them paddle between me and the shore. Plus, they seem to think that since the word "kayak" has the word "yak" in it, they have to talk loudly about nothing the entire time they're on the water. Rolling Eyes

I think I ran into the same ones on fathers day near my house, small ramp room for one car took them about a half an hour to unload. Then on the pond I was on I could hear them every where I went.
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have problems. With people parking at the ramp. Kayakers litterally close enough to us they can touch the boat. Park in the middle of the ramp instead of on the side. Really, The dang things so light you need to hog the whole ramp to load it? And then yak about the day while others are waiting to get in.

People at some of the ramps that think its a beach for there dogs. Literally thow balls out while your trying to come in. Let the dogs to continue to run loose while you try to get the heck out of there. I usually remind them of the leash laws in our state.

At least at McDonough the MDC will speak to those that don't get it. Its the other area's like Winchester that are the biggest pain. I have nicely asked them, But usually get verbal abuse. There has to be something we can do about this?

End rant and glad I'm not alone.

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
hoppy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we cattle prod them?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoppy wrote:
can we cattle prod them?

Now hoppy ? -> Why do you want to be so gentle on them ? Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: