CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: How to catch a walleye? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach0208

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: How to catch a walleye? Reply with quote

I have never caught a walleye, even seen it myself. But I know it is pretty cool fish to catch. I would like to expand my fishing knowledge. So does anyone has successful experiences with these toothy critters?

By the way, it seems CT has only a few water bodies holding them and the regulation is so strict. Sad My girlfriend lives in North Carolina and I checked yesterday. It says you can catch Walleyes over 15" and no more then 8. Cool
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to catch a walleye? Reply with quote

Zach0208 wrote:
My girlfriend lives in North Carolina and I checked yesterday. It says you can catch Walleyes over 15" and no more then 8. Cool

I wish! Rolling Eyes I've caught about two dozen walleye at Batterson Park Pond this year and only one of them was a keeper (i.e., at least 18 inches long). However, I've gotten many that were at least 15 inches long.

The way that I fish for walleye is trolling. I've reported pretty much everything I've done in detail. No secrets here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why we love you PECo! I should be getting a kayak next year, we'll have to try meeting up after that.
Scott M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught 2 short walleye at Coventry Lake last thursday evening on pumpkin seed grubs. First time for me as well. Slow retrieve bouncing it off the bottom in some rocks and structure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a trip down to Lake Saltonstall in East Haven/Branford. Go to the dock next to the fishing shack at around dusk and watch what those guys are doing.

Or go early on a Tuesday or Friday morning, rent a boat, motor and battery (if you dont have your own) and troll nightcrawlers on spinner rigs off the bottom about 20yds outside the weedline around the whole lake.

mikey5string

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS

there are no shorts in Saltonstall ; )
Zach0208

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Lake Saltonstall is staffed Tuesdays and Fridays from 6a.m. to 1p.m, could I return it later than that? Actually I haven't driven a boat before, so I need to learn that first. Anyway I must try it sometime.

Thanks!

mikey5string wrote:
Make a trip down to Lake Saltonstall in East Haven/Branford. Go to the dock next to the fishing shack at around dusk and watch what those guys are doing.

Or go early on a Tuesday or Friday morning, rent a boat, motor and battery (if you dont have your own) and troll nightcrawlers on spinner rigs off the bottom about 20yds outside the weedline around the whole lake.

Zach0208

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question, do I need a SBC to rent a boat? I don't have one, thinking about getting one though.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, they only check your fishing license. I go there a lot though so they know i have a RWA pass. If you dont have a pass, you can buy a daily one there.

You have to have the boat back by 1pm on Tues and Fri but on the weekend you can take it til 6pm.

They are aluminum boats. You can rent just the boat or a boat motor and battery. If you have your own electric motor and battery youll save some money. The costs are $10 for just the boat (with oars) and $25 for boat motor and battery. Its $5 more for the boat and $10 more for the whole package on the weekend.

Its just a 45 thrust electric trolling motor. Its simple to operate. It has 5 speeds and 3 reverse speeds on the steering handle. I would recommend getting the motor and battery, I have rowed a few times and if the wind picks up youll get blown down the lake and have to row back in the wind. Good workout, not very relaxing.

If its not too far a ride, maybe take a ride down and check the place out. Talk to the guys in the dock and in the fishing shack. I learned a lot from watching and listening. Do it during the open hours though because they lock the gate after they close and if you dont have the combo youll be stuck. There is good fishing for walleye off the fishing dock around sunset but there have been a lot of people fishing lately so you might not have room if you dont get there early.

Also good bass in there but the hydrilla has grown in so thick it makes fishing from shore tough. THere are big bass in those weeds but youd better have the equipment to pull them out.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can bring your own boat out on lake saltonstall?
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowhunter095 wrote:
So you can bring your own boat out on lake saltonstall?

No. You have to rent a boat. For $10 you get a boat, oars, anchor and life jacket ($15 on weekends). You can bring your own electric trolling motor and battery or rent them as well.

The whole package is $25 from 6-1pm on Tues and Fri and $35 from 6-6pm on Sat and Sun. They set it all up for you you just take it and drop it off at the end of the day.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you can go out with a guide on Wednesday and have the whole lake to yourself with someone who knows it well.

Thats $45 which isnt bad if you were going to go on the weekend and spend $35.

Might be a good idea for someone who never fished the lake.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if I bring my own trolling motor and battery I can just mount it to the boat myself and still pay 10 dollars on weekdays?
mikey5string

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so if I bring my own trolling motor and battery I can just mount it to the boat myself and still pay 10 dollars on weekdays?

yes.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: