CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Wacky Rig Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevius86

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Wacky Rig Reply with quote

Just a question on setup. How do you guys set up your wacky rigs? Do you add any weights? Drop shot? What's your technique?

Thanks for any tips![/list]
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no weights
no O rings
i hook it right thru the middle with a weedless Gamakatsu and let that worm float on down wiggling with its own weight
Stevius86

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I felt like no website was being clear on the setup other than hooking through the worm
Maximillion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wacky Rig Reply with quote

Stevius86 wrote:
Just a question on setup. How do you guys set up your wacky rigs? Do you add any weights? Drop shot? What's your technique?

Theres no real way to fish it wrong but the most common is weightless. I use 3/0 gamakatsu wide gap hooks in most situations unless there is some really heavy heavy cover. Just cast out and let it sink I get most of my hits on the first cast. If not then just jerk it up from he bottom and let it sink again its pretty easy and I think its the most effective right after spawn and throughout the summer. Well for me atleast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like these guys said, I usually go weightless hooked right through the middle. If you are using real Senkos (Yamamoto) this may be a problem. IMO they are the least durable I have used. As far as a hook goes, almost anything will work. I have found that for me a bigger hook is better though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear they're trying to outlaw wacky rigging.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbehuniak09 wrote:
Like these guys said, I usually go weightless hooked right through the middle. If you are using real Senkos (Yamamoto) this may be a problem. IMO they are the least durable I have used. As far as a hook goes, almost anything will work. I have found that for me a bigger hook is better though.

What plastics do you use? Preferences?
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbojonez wrote:
I hear they're trying to outlaw wacky rigging.

Lol how do they plan on enforcing that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevius86 wrote:

Last summer I got tired of buying bag after bag of Senkos so I went on ebay. I got a 100ct bag from this seller http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=muskybassbaits101&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=senko&_sacat=0&_from=R40 .
They are much more durable and I still have over 50 I would imagine. Also, if one of these gets any kind of tear in it I will just throw it out because they cost me like $0.25 each. I like the action and have had just as much success with them as any other stickbait.. Others will tell you different things, but to me, the brand only matters in terms of durability. I think they all work pretty much the same.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevius86 wrote:
sbehuniak09 wrote:

Rapala Trigger X
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally disagree,, A senkos weight is much more than other versions of senko,, the reason for the senko being so fragile and heavy is the salt content,, its alot,,other companies and people try to copy,,and there making them out of a stiffer rubber with very little salt,,the fall is not the same,,I make mine with the same rubber Yamamoto uses, and mine are loaded with salt,,the fall on my senkos are almost exact with the wiggle and the rate of fall,,take one of your wanna be senkos and bite threw it,, it should be loaded with salt,,believe me you will see it and taste it,,
anointed130

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I bet that taste disgusting

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
I totally disagree,, A senkos weight is much more than other versions of senko,, the reason for the senko being so fragile and heavy is the salt content,, its alot,,other companies and people try to copy,,and there making them out of a stiffer rubber with very little salt,,the fall is not the same,,I make mine with the same rubber Yamamoto uses, and mine are loaded with salt,,the fall on my senkos are almost exact with the wiggle and the rate of fall,,take one of your wanna be senkos and bite threw it,, it should be loaded with salt,,believe me you will see it and taste it,,

Idk, I have caught fish at the same or better rate with my ebay Senkos than with the Yamamotos. Add to that the fact that they are a third the price I'll take that any day of the week. I don't doubt that you have great success with your home made ones, but I don't really buy into the notion that there's much of a difference.

The ones I got have a distinct and pretty powerful smell (almost like licorice) and they taste plenty salty. I'm perfectly satisfied with them, and I don't think I'll be going back to Yams any time in the near future.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like yum dingers in baby bass (white bottom, green speckled top) and i like 3/0 circle hook. Its all about the fall. Most fish are cuaght on first fall so dont move it. Then when ur lone stops moving after u reel in tension u know it hit the bottom. Then after a good puase jerk it up an after u got tension agian let it fall maybe with so real lite twitches.
Believe it or not "creamsicle" or so we called the color last year was very productive. Kinda orange with a lil pink swirl my guess is they think its a perch. I caught 3 baby pike last year all on the orange so u might wana try it. Works on smallies and in ponds n lakes not just thw river.
I almost never use 4" usually 5"
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wacky Rig Reply with quote

Stevius86 wrote:

For wacky rigging, I like using Gamakatsu Number 4 Octopus Circle hooks tied directly to braided line and five inch Yamamoto Senkos (aka Yamasenkos) with o-rings. I usually fish them very slowly. I let them fall all the way to the bottom on slack line. I want them to fall vertically and not "pendulum" back toward me. I watch the line that's floating on the surface. It "shivers" when the Senko hits the bottom or when a fish picks it up. If nothing happens after it hits the bottom, I reel in the slack, twitch the Senko with my rod a few inches and let the Senko fall back to the bottom. If you watch your line carefully and set the hook as soon as you see the line shiver, you will almost always set the hook in the lip of the fish.

I agree with flippy about the construction and the action of a Senko. Nothing else falls like a Senko. While other soft stick baits will also catch fish, a Senko will catch more of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: