CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Wacky Senko
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jomonkey527

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Wacky Senko Reply with quote

I have heard some great things about this set up. I had not been back to fishing in about 10 years. I plan on giving this a try.

Do you use weight or go weightless? If weightless do you use a leader to avoid line twist? Thanks.

Ops. I meant to ask one more thing. If you do use a leader what do you typically use, fluro?
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 50 pound braid with a three to four foot long 17 pound fluorocarbon leader tied on with a J-knot and a size four Gamakatsu octopus circle hook tied on with a palomar knot, rigged weightless. I like how the braid floats on the surface of the water and you can see it "shiver" when a fish takes the bait. Some guys use bigger hooks, but I think the size fours are big enough. I'll probably switch to 65 pound braid, because I'm planning to start throwing heavier swimbaits, too. Lately, I've also been using o-rings on my Senkos and Dingers. Senkos sink slightly faster than Dingers. Both last a lot longer if you don't stick a hook through them. You should get o-rings that are just slightly bigger than the tip of the fat end of a Senko, about three eighths of an inch. They have to be snug. You can buy o-rings in bulk from Lowes or Home Depot. You just put the tip of the bait into the o-ring and pull it through. The hook slips between the o-ring and the bait, and the tip of the hook stays exposed. It ain't weedless, but you don't have to set the hook, either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Im going to give it a shot. I hope to get out a couple more times before I put the kayak away.,
Drew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks!
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peco's must be fishing for muskie or in heavy cover which I wouldn't wacky rig. If you are not fishing in heavy cover, use 8 - 12 lb test. I use trilene sensation for most of my fishing which is a multi polymer line with little stretch, good abrasion resistance and small diameter. The o-ring helps as peco noted. I only wacky rig in weedless conditions. If weeds are present I just texas rig.

Justin
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I use braid for everything. I know that it's overkill, but I like being able to pull up stumps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Senkos, I also like egg Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: