CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Walleye in Connecticut
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panfishh8r

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Walleye in Connecticut Reply with quote

Can someone please give me some pointers on fishing for walleye in Connecticut? Im looking for specific spots and lures (colors) or live bait. I cant use methods like trolling because ill be in a canoe. I prefer lakes to rivers.
MSM07

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I second that information would be much appreciated.
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish deep channels/holes where you know they are stocked.... such as Coventry Lk. plot a map, or bring a portable depth finder to get over the deeper holes.

Round jig heads,with grub tails, tipped with either shiners, leechs, or worms.
or the deepest diving cranks you can get your hands on, ie; WallyDivers, MudBugs, and the like. Bright Colors seem to work.

IF you are fishin at nite... they will come in shallow, and you can catch em on any crank bait or top water you throw for bass. keep in mind, bass might be more "aggressive", so you will catch more bass than opal eyes; but they will hit baits too.

Ive caught a fair number of walleye on a JIGnPIG on the edge of weed beds looking for bass...especially in Batterson, go figure.
panfishh8r

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man that's definitely useful

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Hey, panfishh8r! Reply with quote

I've seen Batterson Park Pond mentioned in some old threads as a pond that holds only undersized walleye pike. While that might have been true in the past, it isn't any longer.

On 06/03, I met a guy at Batterson who came in with a keeper that was probably 24 inches. A keeper in CT is at least 18 inches. On 06/04, I went fishing at night in my kayak for the first time and caught a keeper that was exactly 18 inches:

It was my first walleye. And it was delicious. They're out there. Just bring your canoe.

Damn! It's 10:40 PM and now I'm actually thinking of heading out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit late but try for walleye in Lake Pocotopaug in East Hampton. Go towards the deep end and just jig a small (1/8-1/4 oz jig) with a chartreuse curly tail on it and you should have some luck right at dusk and just afterwards. First time i tried this i got 3 total, a 14,17, and 19 inch walleye
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Lake Pocotopaug in East Hampton is a town owned pond.
And the Walleye in it where stocked by the town (Not the State).

FYI:
If your not a resident of East Hampton you have to get permission to fish the lake or use the boat launch.
I use to live there!

SeaDog1
colburn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't unserstand how pocapaug is town owned if there are d.e.p signs there. anyway i know its late now but next year you can fish there before the park opens on memorial day. i caught one 19in this spring on a jitterbug (weird i think) to the left side of the boat launch near the boat docks.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

The DEP signs are there only to comply with the state law for the legal size of walleye or other fish you can take.

Lake Pocotopaug is not listed in the DEP anglers guide and neither is Lake Terramugus in Malrobrough wihich is also town owned and was stocked with Walleye by the town. You also must be a resident of Malborough to fish or boat there.

Pretty much -> If the body of water is "NOT LISTED" in the Ct. Anglers Guide, (It is NOT state owned or controled).
It is either town or privately owned.

THUS YOU MUST GET PERMISSION Exclamation
If not -> you can be sited for tresspassing by the local police Exclamation
It has happened -> Recorded -> and Posted in the local news papers a number of times when I lived in East hampton over 13 years.

Best regards,
SeaDog1
panfishh8r

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how can i get permission?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Terramugus was really stocked with walleye? i live in Marlborough and have fished that lake for years and have never caught one yet...damn ill have to try some jiggng in the deep spots/.
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you get permission by going to the kayak rental place and renting a kayak and bring your fishing pole along Smile Haha thats what i used to do, my parents owned a business in east hampton anyways but the boat launch and the rock jetty were kind of a pain in the butt to fish off of
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: