CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: walleye? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: walleye? Reply with quote

I am new to this site but i was wondering if anyone on here had any pointers on catching walleye. I've been to Gardner a couple times and fished behind the island in the deep drop off. Also to the left of the boat launch. I've tried morning and dusk but still no luck. Only a bunch of small mouth and some pickeral. I am using medium sized shiners on tip ups and have tried jigging. So now i really have no idea what else to do........any pointers?
flyorice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Walleye Reply with quote

Go at night - dusk until midnight.
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEP. Either side of dark is the best bet... and if you truly want to target walleye, get a fish finder. poke a hole, and take a look,. walleye school up, and move around. your hole can do nothing for 2 hours, then flag non stop for the next hour.
Keeping it simple, I use a "fishing buddy" that I mount into an old guitar stand. works like a charm.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice! I have caught countless numbers of large mouth, small mouth, calico's,etc but it wasn't until last year when i heard about some lakes with walleye in it that i wanted to try my luck at catching some. But still haven't gotten one, hence why i'm asking for advice. How far off of the bottom should i be fishing?
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INCHES to a FOOT off the bottom.... do your homework, and look for drop offs, underwater creek channels, etc...and set up right on em, or just off em... (not that you wont catch em on a flat... cuz you will... especially as it gets dark).

Walleys typically hug the bottom pretty tight. dunno how much faith I really put in it..but some dudes use the hooks with the bright spinners and beads on em

you will catch a pile o fish besides walleyes in these spots... timing is everything
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot! I'm only 16 so i still have a lot to learn about fishing.
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im alot older than 16... but I was about your age when I started fishin in Canada for those beloved toothy opal eyed beasts of the deep...

Im not one of those lecture dudes...but read this: 2 feet of snow, 3 inches of rain, 4 inches of powder on top... DISASTEROUS for ice conditions. and worse for your ability to see the slushy spots from under water springs. Use EXTREME caution if you must get out on the hardwater.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i haven't gone in a couple days now because of that. Still don't know when i should go.
nightstalker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nite time is prime time, your fishing goodspots on gard, but being quiet is essential and never hit the hole with your lite assuming your using one and believe me im still learning.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot guys!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out on a small pond, today, that had one to two inches of crusty snow on top of six to seven inches of slushy snow on top of nine inches of solid clear ice. When you would bore a hole, the water would rise to the level of the top of the crust. It never felt sketchy out there, even at the edges of the pond. But, yes, be very careful out there, especially if you don't know what's under the surface.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys just remember that the slush/water between the snow and ice is actually the lake!!!! This means that the entire ice shelf has bowed and sunk beneath the lake water because of the weight of all the snow we have gotten. Not safe!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree and disagree... Agree that it sinks. But been out on 2 inch crust with 5 inches water on top of only 3-4 inches solid... Doesnt mean go do it. What i believe in and what i do is me tho... not someone else so Please be cafeful in situations... Havent fell in with weighted ice on bottom but i sure am not new to falling in....
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

I could have fallen into Konolds Pond just about anywhere yesterday and gotten only my knees or my crotch wet!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: LOL! Reply with quote

Phil see why im never worried....... i stress the fact that if i fall in i can get back out....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: