CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Weather?!! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the article from the Hartford Courant that I read a couple of months ago:

http://mobile.courant.com/p.p?a=rp&postId=832259&m=b&sessionToken=&postUserId=47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I don't know much about this stuff but all I can say is I hope that they understand things like this can happen. I get it...this year was tough. We had hurricanes, tornados, unexpected snow storms and unreal weather. The point that I hope CT learns is that next time there should be no reason why we are not better prepared for this (as a state). Unless there is a tornado that wipes out half of CT I really don't see how its fair to people that they are without power for a WEEK. My employees have families, kids....they cant shower, cook, or heat their houses. A day or two is a little more acceptable but the state should be prepared and CLP needs to be prepared for worst case scenarios.

From what I understand some towns like Wallingford have their own electricity and some of the southern western states have different companies. So when it goes out, it pretty much gets fixed very shortly. CLP's customers are usually the ones who have to suffer.

The towns are also making it worse for people to be honest.

I didn't lose power during Irene and I also didn't lose power during this storm...but one cable wire was leaning down that goes from the pole to my house. Instead of just MOVING the wire....they cut it. Seriously? I had to wait 3 days without any internet, cable, or home phone because of it. Its not a big deal compared to all the power outages but now someone had to come out and replace the whole thing. Just such a waste of time on everyones part. Instead of fixing my cable wire they could have been out restoring other emergency situations and save the company money (I work for the company)..

Sorry for the novel guys. It just really pisses me off when I see all these people suffering when I am sure there is a BETTER solution for us.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of you are still with out power (and can get online somehow).

As far as I am concerned, CL-P needs a fresh set of execs. They have been short staffed for years. Look at utilities like UI, they had over 100k customers back online the next day. I live in the NW corner, and both bordering NY and MA towns were back online the next day.

CL-P is relying on these other companies to come in from other states, yet I read that they aren't because CL-P haven't paid them from Irene. Why are we relying on them to begin with, add more crews, employ more people.

Then there is the issue of preventative maintenance. I honestly have not seen a crew out there unless there is a problem. They should be out cutting back the trees away from the lines. if they did that, a lot of the lines would not have fallen. cheap cheap cheap.

CL-P needs a new set of management and execs, plain and simple.

Yes, i'm bitter. A crew got power half way up my road before they were told to stop working in my town to go someplace else. Now we are not getting power until at least Sunday.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an explaination by friend (the UI lineman) posted on FB to someone this morning as to how the priority for power goes out.

Quote:
@ mike...your house is fed from a different location than the school by ur house...the school is on the 3 phase mainline, which means high priority...your street is a single phase side tap off of that main line that must still have some damage (trees, broken equip, etc...) so it is a low priority (sorry!) and won't be energized til most if not all of the 3 phase has been fired up...

Sucks, but hopefully that helps you a little, as you may be in one of those lower phases of the stage.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL&P has cut a whole 15 minutes from its estimate of the date and time that my power will be restored:
Quote:
Estimated date and time your power will be restored:       Sunday, November 06, 2011 11:45 PM

That's a joke, right? Rolling Eyes

A point of frustration for me is that all of the power lines in my neighborhood are buried. We're cut off because the surrounding area is heavily treed. On a more positive note, I can hear chainsaws running all over the area today. Whoo hoo!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im here at starbucks in bristol but still no power in burlington.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss (aka Kira) and I had a bet over whose power would be out the longest. Hers came back on today and mine's still out, so I win because I'm such a loser. Whoo hoo, I guess. . . . Confused

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippy wrote " Come on,, most ghandi marts are open,, you should have plenty of food in your house already,, its not like your going to be stuck as if we had a nuclear attack,, I just went to price chopper to get some half and half,,, WHAT A JOKE! ........All I can say,, is be ready for a power outage,, lights and heat,, Im sure CL+P are prepared and ready to go,, otherwise dont worry about it ..."

A little off the mark on this one..

I still do not have any power, cable, internet and spotty cell phone service.
Luckily I was prepared and have a generator and a full supply of food, camping grills etc.

I have yet to even see any electrical trucks here in South Windsor. I have seen the town clear road so the electrical linesmen could get down the streets, but they haven't arrived yet. Southwindsor has 22 streets that are closed because CL&P has not been out to tell the town if the downed line are live or not. This slows down the progress to a complete halt.

One positive note of the storm. I have seen many of my neighbors come together and help each other out. People who do not usually talk to each other are sharing supplies; offering hot showers, warm food etc.

I have a 150' extension cord going from my generator over to one of my neighbor's house so they could charge their electronics, cell phones etc. I also have another extension cord going to my other neighbor's house so that they can plug in their new furnace (wired by an electrician for this emergency only, so the young family could at least get heat.)

I have serious doubts that my power will be restored by CL&P's estimate of Sunday night.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our power came back on at 1:52 am. After almost 17 glorious hours, it went out again at 6:49 pm. But our house is warm and we have a fresh tankful of hot water. This setback wasn't totally unexpected. We saw a line crew setting up to do some work on a nearby road. They probably just had to de-energize the lines for a little while. Just a little while, we hope. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
It's actually mostly the homeowners fault for not letting CL&P clear branches from the lines. CL&P can only trim what they need to do maintenance on the lines themselves. It's the homeowners who don't let them clear what they should because they want their trees to look pretty.

Thats bull!!!! I tried to have them clear ours and they wouldnt!!! If it was up to me they could chop these 2 huge freakin Hickory trees down to the ground but they wont touch them and yes they are in the wires. We lost our power Sat night at 10:30 and got it back last night but didnt get our cable, phone and internet back until a few hours ago. I have a generator which ran my well, furnace, 3 fridges (1 is my neighbors and his hopper for his wood pellet stove plus a toaster oven and a hot plate, a tv for movies and a few lights so I was in good shape. My brother and I bought my parents a gen for their 50th ann. which is coming up on the 18th and also a / Christmas present as it was expensive just like mine being a key start 5000 watt Honda. When we brought it up there yesterday CL&P was on their road so they said dont bother to hook it up now. They ended up getting power about 1/2 hour later but they had a bug branch fall in their yard originally which yanked power from their house which must have shorted out as it blew their stove, microwave, radio, tv, furnace, and a few other small items so they have to now deal with their insurance to try and recover that stuff. Just the part for the furnace which they had fixed today was over $300 plus labor!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our power came back up at 8:30 pm. Whoo hoo! Avon is still 71 percent out, though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

live in suffield near the mass line and we lost power saturday evening and it came back on yesterday around 1:00pm. Our shop is in east granby and had no power until friday so there was alot of time spent just sitting around a cold house................we werent really ready for this and honestly instead of thinking about loosing power i was getting snowmobiles ready for an early ride. wish i didnt mix up that gas sure could have used it!!!! I told the wife we will never be that unprepared again and we are already in the works of getting a "closet" together of items we should have had. Thankfully we scored a small generator wednesday night. we fired up a small heater and a light and charged our phones. Nice item to own if you have one, if you dont consider it!!
All in all the this really kinda sucked. cant blame the lineman, or cl&p. Mother nature has a funny way.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chainsaw and a generator are very nice things to have. That sucks that you lost a weeks pay on top of all that other crap. I spent the whole day today cutting trees out of trees at my parents house and then cutting it all up for my friend who will get it later this week and usually hooks me up with some venison for cutting it all up nice for him. My neighborhood got hit pretty hard but all I got was a crap load of small branches that didnt even need cutting luckily. I really wanted to go fishing today but family comes first and they are just to old to be even out picking up the small branches. Also brought them up my spare tv which was the old 32" big back tv. Man I forgot how freakin heavy those are! Crying or Very sad

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: