CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: webster lake, MA crappie
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basswacka19

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: webster lake, MA crappie Reply with quote

I'm usually a strict bass fisherman but i saw some crappie fishing videos on youtube and thought it looked like it could be fun. So after doing some research and figuring out that they spawn in water temps around 60 i decided to go take a crack at em.

the first spot i started at was a gravel flat near deep water, saw a few beds and picked one 13'' crappie of a bed right away on a 1/8 oz drop shot with a little minnow profile plastic. Stayed in that area for another 20 min without another bite, so i went to a near by point and found the mother load! there were beds everywhere and fish all over them, I caught about 20 crappies of beds most between 12'' and 13''.

After about an hour of fishing the beds the bite slowed down for a bit, but then i saw a few crappies suspending over deep water were the shallow bedding area sloped into the main lake. I had another rod rigged with a Lucky Craft pointer 68 and started tossing that and they hammered it! in the next hour i probably caught 30 more crappies with a lot of them going 14'', and two 15'', with the biggest one just shy of 16''. I hooked into one crappie that looked freakishly big, but sadly he got off. never thought i'd be so mad about a crappie getting off but this thing was by far the biggest crappie i've ever seen!

before leaving i had to try to get a bass in the boat so i started throwing the drop shot with a 4'' zoom grub and got one decent 3lb+ lmb and had a nice smallie get off.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! My black crappie goal for the year is to break 16 inches.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here peco! I woulda like to do it before they spawned while there really fat but i think that the spawns pretty much over most places but there were still a few really fat ones. check out this 12 incher i got, huge belly!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Some good sized ones. They taste good too Wink
Michael

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on the slabs!
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fishing! Webster is chock full of crappies and real good sized ones.

I went last year and loved it. That lake is full of more species then I've ever seen in any lake around here.

For the day we went last year we caught for species Smallmouth, Largemouth, white perch, yellow perch, brown bullhead, yellow bullhead, pickerel, pike, crappie, and a trout. There's also big land locked salmon in there, and I believe catfish as well.

Hope to head out there again soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishin'Fireman wrote:
Nice fishing! Webster is chock full of crappies and real good sized ones.

I went last year and loved it. That lake is full of more species then I've ever seen in any lake around here.

For the day we went last year we caught for species Smallmouth, Largemouth, white perch, yellow perch, brown bullhead, yellow bullhead, pickerel, pike, crappie, and a trout. There's also big land locked salmon in there, and I believe catfish as well.

Hope to head out there again soon.

Yup, webster lakes a great place to fish!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: