CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Webster Lake - Mass. 07/15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Webster Lake - Mass. 07/15 Reply with quote

Went out with my Father and his friend on his friends boat this morning on Webster Lake, also known as "Lake Chaubunagungamaug". Overall we had a great day of fishing! We hit the water at about 7:30 and fished till about 12:30. I was amazed to read online that in total there's 17 different species of fish in the Lake.

In total we caught 7 Calico Bass (4 BIG boys), 2 bluegills, 1 yellow perch, 1 brown bullhead, 1 yellow bullhead (both BH's average size), 1 smallmouth (2.5 lbs) and 2 Pickerel (15" and a fat 22" one!).

My dad's friend swears by using live bait in the lake since it's known to have a large bait fish population and he was not lying. All but one fish were caught on shiners or nightcrawlers, i caught the smallmouth on a spinner bait.

I snapped two quick pictures, of the smallmouth and 22" fat boy pickerel i caught. The Pickerel put on a great fight, took a few times to get him in the boat since he kept peeling line

22" Pickerel, didn't get the weight, but it had a fat stomach, wouldn't be surprised if there was a panfish in there

2.5 lb smallmouth, nice fight to it.

Overall a great day of fishing and was definitely worth getting up early and making the hour or so drive. Alot of fish, alot of different kinds, and all healthy (i was extremely impressed with the size of the Calico's we pulled out)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Webs a great bass lake,we're from Mass. It's like a legend for bass tourny's etc. Good place to go.
SAP284

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun trip! Yeah, live bait can have it's advantages - but the only problem is it can attract all those panfish and bottom feeders. I don't even bother netting pickerel anymore, just straight boga grips or if its small enough I just lift em up onto the boat. Drives me nuts when they thrash everywhere in the net and tangle everything up! That one looks like its got a nice sunny inside em lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
Looks like a fun trip! Yeah, live bait can have it's advantages - but the only problem is it can attract all those panfish and bottom feeders. I don't even bother netting pickerel anymore, just straight boga grips or if its small enough I just lift em up onto the boat. Drives me nuts when they thrash everywhere in the net and tangle everything up! That one looks like its got a nice sunny inside em lol.

I almost never use live bait, i'm a lure person, but my dad's friend was saying how shiners kill it there, so for one day i said why not. The shiner's didnt really get any small panfish thankfully, the couple bluegill were caught on worm, and any calico's caught on shiners were all good size.

As far as the pickerel goes it was on extremely light line and tackle and we were fishing off a pontoon boat. Where i got him finally to a boat was where there wasn't a door near and i didnt trust the line if i tried to haul him over, so i went with the big net. Like you said though, if they thrash it can become a tangled mess. Thankfully he didnt. His belly was definitely fat, he was a real big 22" pickerel weight wise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: