CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Weedless hook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfinder1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Weedless hook Reply with quote

I love to fish wacky rigged senkos but the only problem is when trying to locate bass sometimes you have to fish the weeds. I use the VMC wacky weedless hooks but have had a very hard time getting the guard to trigger allowing me to set the hook. Has anyone had this problem with these hooks? Also does anyone have any other brands that work well with wacky rigging? Lost at least a 4 lber yesterday. Jumped up out of the water and spat it right out. When I looked at the hook the guard never sprung which brings me here ... Thank you
AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: advice Reply with quote

I watched a video of Aaron Martens the other day showing how he takes his pliers and opens up his wacky hooks a little bit for better hook up ratios. This might make it less weedless, though. And I'm sure you already know this, but for good hard hook sets point towards the fish and wait till you feel the weight.
fishfinder1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply ... I will def. have to look for that video. Did you see it on youtube? Does anyone else know of any other weedless hooks that are good for wacky rigging baits. Thank you
mvb13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the Gamakatsu and Eagle Claw weedless hooks this past week. After missing three hookups with the Gamy I switched to the Eagle Claw. Had much better luck and and will stay with the EC. The weed guard gets a little bent up after a few fish but it can be bent back into position. Much cheaper to buy also. Good Luck!
mvb13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the Gamakatsu and Eagle Claw weedless hooks this past week. After missing three hookups with the Gamy I switched to the Eagle Claw. Had much better luck and and will stay with the EC. The weed guard gets a little bent up after a few fish but it can be bent back into position. Much cheaper to buy also. Good Luck!
fishfinder1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Going to look into the eagle claw hooks. Ive been reading reviews on them so I'll have to give them a try. I dont mind the guard breaking after usage or even still getting stuck in weeds from time to time. Id rather go through a few extra hooks then continue to lose fish!
Gee_Boog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been goin thru the same snags (get it? Snags haha Smile with the weedless hookups too. I've seen on more then one occasion a few bass pros takin the pliers to them and doctorin them up a bit. And like you said it does compromise the weedless aspect some, but hook up rates increase. Losing fish sucks, especially when they show themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: