CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Went on a Journey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Went on a Journey Reply with quote

After going to bed early Friday night, I ended up waking up around 8:30pm. First thought was check out the striper spot but called the master of that place first and he said there's very little open water. Final decision was head out to check out Mondo Pond and then do some more scouting depending on how long I stayed there.

Arrived at Mondo Pond around noon time and saw there was 1 decent area of open water. Everything else on the main pond looked to be 1 to 3 inches of white ice.

Threw a number of lures in the open water but never got into anything even with a glass minnow Husky Jerk HJ-8.

Next I went over to the smaller pond to see if there was any open water. Found 1 small area of open water, which was the spot where mikeyinstfd and I were hitting the pickerel back in November. First cast out there and had a pickerel come up and swipe the lure before going back down. 2 casts later and I set the hook. Landed a 14" pickerel just under a pound. After that nothing else.

Hit the road around 2pm to grab a bite to eat and take the Coastal Link bus back to the terminal before transferring onto another bus that stops up by the ice out pond.

Arrived at the ice out pond around 4:30pm to find the entire place still locked up solid with 2 to 4 inches of white ice.

Pretty soon headed down to the funeral home and found similar conditions there to what I saw at Mondo Pond. 1 to 3 inches of white ice covering most of it with open water in a shallow area where a brook feeds into it. Tried throwing a 1/8 ounce chartreuse marabou in the shallow area but never saw a bass, bluegill, pumpkinseed, crappie, or yellow perch come and look.

Next I went to Twin Brooks Park to see if the town had plowed the road yet. Saw they still haven't but was able to fish some open water where Booth Hill Brook feeds out of the larger pond. Threw the HJ-8, marabou, and a Texas rigged 4" pumpkinseed Berkley Power Worm but had no luck.

Last stop was to see if the shallow marshy pond at Unity Park had opened up yet but saw similar conditions there like what I saw at the ice out pond.

Headed home around 5:30pm

Plan is once we get another round of warm and rainy weather, Mondo Ponds and the funeral home will be the 2 places to check out again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: