CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: West Hill Today .... OMG!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: West Hill Today .... OMG! Reply with quote

Hi,

OMG! West Hill today looked like it had a bad case of chicken pox.

The "Tupperware Fleet" was on it in mass! Shocked

I counted 37 plastic kayaks on the pond.

The ducks didn't have any room to swim! Wink

Doesn't anyone want or use a "real boat" anymore ? LOL Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadog to be honest I just bought a kayak two weeks ago and I have more hours in it this year then my 12ft tin can! I don't know what it is but I love fishing out of it, it's a much slower pace fishing in the kayak something I'm not used to, but I still won't night fish out if it, because I'm scared of what might happen when I paddle up to the big splashes that you hear at night Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BT,

Hear ya! Smile

Watchout for the green glowing whale in Bantam ! Shocked

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
chud059

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on the weather wednesday, I may be heading up that way for a fishing excursion.... highland lake, colebrook reservoir... farmington river at pleasant valley, barkhamsted. It'll be a good day I hope! checking weather now...
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: West Hill Today .... OMG! Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:

Not unless you can throw it on your shoulder and carry it into the woods to fish the places "real boats" can't go Very Happy

You don't have to stop at the gas station either Wink
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: West Hill Today .... OMG! Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
SeaDog1 wrote:

You don't have to stop at the gas station either Wink

Hi DD,

Oh yes you do Exclamation

You have to fill up the horse to carry the yak and chase all over Ct. for "Old Bucket Mouth".
Then haul the thing + gear thru the woods to where ever. Confused

You know me -> I chase only 1 type fish all summer!
Yeap you got it! ..... My "Little Silver Bullet Psyhco Fish" ....LOL Laughing

Man! They fight like the Devil! Twisted Evil -> Lots of FUN!

4 miles from the house -> launch the boat (with gear + snacks) -> and fishing within 30 minutes!

Cooked up 4 fresh ones last night for the wife and I .....DELICIOUS! Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 20 years of gas and go, I think Im having my best season ever with my new canoe. The pace is way different, kind of wine and cheese...but I'm really cognizant of everything around me. It's about getting to the slabs that not too many are fighting for. Of course, the top of my head is now flat from schlepping this thing to the water. It has opened me up to a world of places I would never have bothered to, or been able to fish.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I could Kneel in my Canoe 1 of my favorite little places was Handcock brook dam in the wolcott area ..Google it and look at the sat. image you wil see why
1. Its about 300 yard port to the water ( most ppl wount move 100 feet from the car let alone port a boat)
2. Most of the shoreline is realy hard to get to.

So this leaves it mostly a untouched piece of water except for the local ppl useing the atv's to reach back end of lake.
If you decide to fish it run to the far end of the lake (north) go between the old bidge foundation to the stump area FIRST I think you will be happy you did I know it will be hard to by pass all the sweet looking spots on the way there but you can fish them on the way back .
Before the explosion of the plastic boat use in the state I camped the burm where the old train tracks use to be for a week never saw a single person.there are dozens of small beaver ponds if you explore the water ways to the north and carry over hopping from pond to pond (waders Needed)

Fish ive caught here Bass, Pike , trout , brown bullheads, and about every kind of panfish know to man.

WARNING: This is a flood control area If the weather gos bad a it rains real hard expect rapid water lvl changes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Handcock dam Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud wrote:
Back when I could Kneel in my Canoe 1 of my favorite little places was Handcock brook dam in the wolcott area ..Google it and look at the sat. image you wil see why
1. Its about 300 yard port to the water ( most ppl wount move 100 feet from the car let alone port a boat)
2. Most of the shoreline is realy hard to get to.

So this leaves it mostly a untouched piece of water except for the local ppl useing the atv's to reach back end of lake.
If you decide to fish it run to the far end of the lake (north) go between the old bidge foundation to the stump area FIRST I think you will be happy you did I know it will be hard to by pass all the sweet looking spots on the way there but you can fish them on the way back .
Before the explosion of the plastic boat use in the state I camped the burm where the old train tracks use to be for a week never saw a single person.there are dozens of small beaver ponds if you explore the water ways to the north and carry over hopping from pond to pond (waders Needed)

Fish ive caught here Bass, Pike , trout , brown bullheads, and about every kind of panfish know to man.

WARNING: This is a flood control area If the weather gos bad a it rains real hard expect rapid water lvl changes

Man i just saw this post, and it brought back memories. my dad used to take me to handcock dam, and never once saw another person there, granted this was over 10 years ago. But the memories of Big bass between fallen trees, and serious night action on jitterbugs.

I am suppose to be going with a buddy in 5 min up to halls pond. But being reminded i think i may take a ride to go keep those memories fresh in mind. handcock dam would be my choice right now. The wind is steady. and there is so much cover down there. Im so glad you reminded me of this place.

Tight Lines!!.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodluck let me know how the old place is doing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well can't say I agree with ya on the yak thing at all. We own both types, but I'd much rather be in the bass boat for sure. The places I enjoy going, I'd rather be in the big boat for sure. I still love taking out the "little boat" once in a while, but nowhere near as much fun as firing her up, and running on plane, just can't beat it.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree ya Hila i paddled for years and years hated giveing up the canoe but now ive had my boat and can stand and stretch sit back and relax dont know how I ever did without it.....but on the other hand i do miss the small river and shallow water exporeing I use to do, guess some of us cant have it all...at least the days of bushwackin and mud walking are over I realy hate beach pounding the shoreline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Handcock dam Reply with quote

Hi there guys,

I want to check out this lake with a kayak. Is there a place to park that has a trail leading to the lake you guys can recommend? I checked out google maps and it looks like the south part of the lake may have a spot.

Thanks.

Ken
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Nope! -> Only place to launch any type of boat is the DEEP boat ramp at the north end.
Everything else around WH is private property or Brodie Park which is a town/resident park.

Go to the Ct. DEEP site and bring up the depth map of West Hill -> Will show you where the ramp is.

Best regards,
SeaDog1
x182dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am selling my fishing kayak. Ever since I bought my bass boat I cannot stand sitting in a kayak fishing all day. Not that it bothers me but I just can't get as good a feel for it that I can from a boat. I recently boat a 10 aluminum boat that I am using when I fish alone. Its pretty light to carry about the same as the kayak and much more room to fish and can actually stand up in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: