CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Wethersfield Cove 2/27 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Wethersfield Cove 2/27 Reply with quote

Hit the cove today, but didn't have much time. Stayed for a few hrs after getting there around 7:30am. No flags-no fish, but mainly wanted to try my new drill adapter for hand augers.
I got the Icemaster adapter w/ the strap that goes around the drill so you don't loose the auger if the chuck becomes loose. This item was $30.00 shipped. For a drill, I bought the 18v Ridgid x3 hammer drill with 565 tourque and LI ion batteries.This item was on sale at home depot for $220. I needed a new drill anyway. My auger is an 8" Mora for $55.
This setup works great - even with an 8" crappy auger. I can get 12 holes from 1 charge through 18" of ice and still have another battery for more. With a 6" Nils auger it could no doubt drill 30 holes.
This is much cheaper than an 8" gas auger, and lighter, and no messing with gas, storage, etc. If you are looking to drill 50 holes with a 10" auger in 1 outing, this is not the setup for you. However, if you are like me and mostly go alone or with a couple people - I would definately recommend it. Even with a 6" Laser I'm sure you could get 20 holes from 1 battery.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice setup for drilling holes. I've still just been using my 6" Mora which does pretty well. Even through thick ice it is still not bad but your way does sound much easier.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids are too impressed with my auger arm for me to switch to gas or electric. Fuerte! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice fishing was a lot of work with that auger. Now I can actually enjoy myself and maybe even move to another spot after a while. This was not an option for me before. I only go half days most of the time, and by the time I redrilled 6 more holes I'd have no more time to fish. Besides, 6 holes thru 18" of ice with that 8" Mora and I was done drilling for the day. It was a whole different experience for me this weekend. Like fishing from shore all the time then gettin a boat!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: wethersfield cove Reply with quote

any info on ice thickness?how about getting on and off?
IceAddict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDC stocks it with big brown trout!!!!!!!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your setup will drill alot more holes if the ice was only half as thick as it is right now, the amount of snow we got that froze into white ice usually isnt as much as this year!!! if i can remember correctly the thickest i saw last year was around 9 inches
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roofman - Ice was about 16" and solid to the shore.
PikePersuader - Yeah, this is a worst case scenario. Late season with lots of frozen slush/snow.
I'm gonna hit it again this weekend. Not to many places left to fish for pike and the cove is close. Other guys were catching a lot of crappie and yellow perch, for guys that like them. I'm going for the big boys, but I'm gonna have a problem getting bait. The little pond next to my house is closed for the season. Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Confused Mad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
Roofman - Ice was about 16" and solid to the shore.
PikePersuader - Yeah, this is a worst case scenario. Late season with lots of frozen slush/snow.
I'm gonna hit it again this weekend. Not to many places left to fish for pike and the cove is close. Other guys were catching a lot of crappie and yellow perch, for guys that like them. I'm going for the big boys, but I'm gonna have a problem getting bait. The little pond next to my house is closed for the season. Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Confused Mad

You can still fish several pike places, as long as you're not specifically targeting them. So "try for bass" instead and if you catch a pike just release it like you normally would. Jig up some bass bait while you're waiting for flags.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

According to the CT. Angler's Guide -> You can fish for Pike year round Exclamation
26" minnimum and allowed to keep 2 per day!
LMB and Smallies are year round also -> can keep 6 per day!
Page 6........ 2011 Guide.

Only those waters that are designated to have trout in them are closed!

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi Kira!

According to the CT. Angler's Guide -> You can fish for Pike year round Exclamation
26" minnimum and allowed to keep 2 per day!
LMB and Smallies are year round also -> can keep 6 per day!
Page 6........ 2011 Guide.

Only those waters that are designated to have trout in them are closed!

SeaDog1

We were having this discussion with the ENCON guys yesterday, and I'm not quite sure even they know what's up. Bantam is closed to northern pike fishing from March 1–April 30, so if Flipper decides to go there next Saturday he cannot target or keep pike he catches. The word "target" is open to interpretation here. It might be hard to convince the DEP that you're targeting bass with 10" golden shiners on steel leaders.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Kira!

If the Guide (and DEP) says that that particular water is closed -> IT IS CLOSED to ALL fishing Exclamation

The word "TARGET" doesn't even comes into the DEP's vocabulary on water closures!

There is "NO" interpertation here at all Exclamation -> I know you and Flipper would like it to be -> But it isn't going to happen Exclamation

Your just going to have to fish those waters that are legally open!
Oh! The ENCON officers only uphold the law -> Not make policy!

Best to stay within the law and not fish waters that are closed because that would constitute poaching and you could get your Lic. pulled.

Yeah! I know -> I wish Ct. had a year round open fishing policy like Mass. has but it won't and complaining just gets you fustrated for nothing -> That's why I have a Mass. Lic. -> Worth it to me -> Living within a short distance to get to good Mass. waters. Thumbs Up

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
No Kira!

If the Guide (and DEP) says that that particular water is closed -> IT IS CLOSED to ALL fishing Exclamation

The word "TARGET" doesn't even comes into the DEP's vocabulary on water closures!

There is "NO" interpertation here at all Exclamation -> I know you and Flipper would like it to be -> But it isn't going to happen Exclamation

Your just going to have to fish those waters that are legally open!

Best to stay within the law and not fish waters that are closed because that would constitute poaching and you could get your Lic. pulled.

Yeah! I know -> I wish Ct. had a year round open fishing policy like Mass. has but it won't and complaining just gets you fustrated for nothing -> That's why I have a Mass. Lic. -> Worth it to me -> Living within a short distance to get to good Mass. waters. Thumbs Up

SeaDog1

I'm not complaining or frustrated by water closures. There's no shortage of troutless lakes/ponds around central CT - Silver, Middle & Lower Bolton, Upper & Lower Moodus, Beseck, Holbrook, Dooley, Pickerel, North Farms, etc. plus a ton of smaller ones that aren't in the guide...and my beloved Breakneck is still open too. I'll be OK for the next 7 weeks. However, I'm fishing for bass and Flipper's fishing for pike, and his legal options are pretty much all west of the river now. My point is that Bantam is still open. It's just closed to pike fishing through April 30. How exactly would you expect that to be enforced?

PECo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira's right, Stephan. Bantam Lake isn't closed to ALL fishing. It's only closed to fishing for northern pike. Per the Guide:

BANTAM LAKE, Morris-Litchfield (947 acres)
NORTHERN PIKE LAKE
• Species: (NP SMB LMB WP CB YP S BB)
• Northern Pike:
—— May 1–Nov. 30: Daily creel limit—2, 26" minimum length.
—— Dec. 1–last day Feb.: Daily creel limit—1, 36" minimum length.
—— March 1–April 30: Closed to northern pike fishing.
• All Other Species: Open year round, statewide regulations apply. (Emphasis added)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: