CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Wethersfield cove saturday
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Wethersfield cove saturday Reply with quote

Got on the water at 4 and made a lap around the cove before any light entered the lake tossing nothing but slammers....

Tyler loves that smelly jelly (garlic) and was rewarded with a 3lb channel cat id guess. Slow wake.... I missed 1 descent hit on the 7in xx frog. Came back to where we started and there were THOUSANDS of herring (2inches) jumping everywhere, unfortunately very few fish besides this large crappie that liked my custom chatterbait.

Picked up the 9in perch slammer for the next hour and a half with the thought of pike on my mind. Cranked it down for what seemed like an eternity until it happened. It got crushed. Too my suprise she starts to take drag- fights just like a big old pike but low and behold- its a 5+lb river chunk of a largie. The fish flops and shakes the one hookpoint in her mouth less then 10 feet from the net.

We chug along trying to recreate the bass hit and tyler picks up a pair of 12inchers on the chatterbait. WHACK! Outta nowhere and this one is fighting like a pike too but she makes it to he net- 3lb 3oz largie that hit the slammer like it owed her 5 months rent.

Jigged/slammered around for another hour and called it quits. Unfortunately no pike, not a follow, doesnt say much for the "best" pike fishery in the state.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

The cove can be a good place, to bad no Stripers still hanging around.

This a good day on the water..

Good Job..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That place is always hit or miss. Had some really good days there and also days when it suct (probably more of the latter though..)!
I've gotten bit off on numerous occasions, so I know they're in there,..but I don't think I've ever actually caught a pike in the cove!

If you can find somewhere to launch, you should try the Mattabassett river in Middletown/Cromwell,..there are some HUGE pike in there! Wink
Nickp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you a PM mark- im very interested Wink
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just4fun wrote:

If you can find somewhere to launch, you should try the Mattabassett river in Middletown/Cromwell,..there are some HUGE pike in there! Wink

Mark, Nick could probably launch off the parking lot next to the Cromwell Association boat ramp. I know the ramp is private for members only and is kept locked but he could probably park in the lot and put into the river off the lot itself. From there he is 5 minutes downriver from the mouth of the Mattabassett River.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job on the cover. Did you launch from Wethersfield? Can you get in trouble for launching prior to opening?

Justin
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict wrote:
nice job on the cover. Did you launch from Wethersfield? Can you get in trouble for launching prior to opening?

Bass Addict, no you don't get in trouble. If you're lucky you avoid paying the $20.00 launching fee if you get there before the old guy does. But sometimes he gets you on the way out. Rolling Eyes All depends on how good a day he had.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the cove was off limits from sunset to sunrise. Must only be for people looking to hang out there.

Justin
Nickp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt know there was a launch there so I put in through the DMV parking lot.... funnn Laughing pulled out via the ramp- guy had no problem and musta figured I was pulling my boat for the year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: