CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: what do you use for a flipping setup? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: what do you use for a flipping setup? Reply with quote

What is your favorite flipping combo (brand, model, length, action, reel, line, ect...)?

Justin
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone use the Mike Iaconelli rods? They are on sale for 100$ at tackleware house. Not sure what the orginal price is though. They look nice Rolling Eyes

Justin
Nickp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There 1/4-1/5th of the price off.

Its because daiwa and iacconellie split ways and hes fishing for pure fishing (abu, berkley) exclusively now.

So no point in having a pro staff rod for a man whos not on your pro staff.

Cant go wrong with a loomis.
flippy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BassAddict, All companies make flippin rods, there all meatsticks, I favor 7ft4in to 8 ft i use quantum ac 500 reels, Xtra fast heavy!!!!!
stumpy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 2 kistler lta 7'6heavy. they both have daiwa zillions 7.1 on them. one with braid the other 20 fluoro. i plan on getting a 3rd or im getting a denny brauer american rodsmiths wrecking stick.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 8ft rods exclusively for flipping nowadays. I still carry the 7'6" rods that I used to use,..but those are strictly for pitching and regular casting now. That extra 6" doesn't sound like much but it makes a BIG difference when you're flipping,...just gives you a lot more reach and leverage.
Beyond that,..get the lightest setup that you can afford because it gets very tiring to be flipping heavy cover for any lenght of time.
djmon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with mark; the lighter the better-

currently i have two shimano 7'6" H flippin' sticks. one set up with 65lb fireline braid mainly for frogs and pitch/flip in heavy grass with a daiwa 7.1:1 exceler reel (unless it sells) while the other is with 17-20lb trilene Fluorocarbon depending on the time of the year, with a shimano citicaD 6.2:1 for pitch and casting. though you can get away with a 7'6" for flip, after time you may see it as more of an all around use rod with pitch/flip/cast depending what your throwing and those extra few inches will make a difference. the shimano 7'11" for example or some of the kistlers.

it also depends on what your looking for; a tele rod vs a one piece. me personally, i hate tele rods no matter how room saving they are.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the 7'11" crucial? Would you recommend a crucial over a zillion 7'6"? Is the zililon worth the extra money?

Mark, what you say makes a lot of sense, with a 8"er you can almost just drop the bait in the holes with out actually having to pitch/flipp.

I want something really light with a strong back bone and a fast action tip. I only have experience with shimano, st criox and diawa. Never used a kistler or gloomis.

Thanks for the replies.

Justin
Just4fun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use a Kistler which is lighter,..however I have used my Crucial 7'11" swimbait rods for flipping as well. With the Crucial swimbait rods,..I actually prefer the medium-heavy over the heavy for flipping. It is a bit lighter and the extra flex makes it a little less tiring to cast (flip/pitch) with. Even though it flexes a little,..you have sooo much leverage with an 8' rod, that there is still no trouble plucking the fish outta the slop with it!
By the way,..those Crucials are my favorite rods when casting for stripers! Cool

ps: I always use fluoro versus braid now,..because the braid saws through my finger after awhile of flipping with it! Confused
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mark. I am going to have to go to cabelas and compare them side by side.

Justin
djmon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruicals are alittle on the heavy side compared to other rods side by side; but I would say worth the money and after you put a reel on it's an ounce game depending which you buy.

7'11" will give you more leverage
7'6" for all around use. Flip pitch cast.

Don't forget those life time warranties. Always a good plus
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does kistler have a life time warranty? also what is the deal with

Kistler Mag TS Cast 7'8 Hvy Power Tool Tele Price: $179.99? It says telescopic, does that mean it collapses into itself?

Mark do you use the Kistler He LTA Cast 7'6" for flipping? That rod feels like air.It is pricey but I just got some really good work related news and want to celebrate by buying myself something nice.

Justin
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 7'6" Heavy LTA is hands down my favorite rod for bass fishing!! I like them better than their more expensive LTX's and also better than my Loomis GLX. Most of the time I just have a jig tied to it,..but I have used it for a lot of other things over the years and it was one of the first rods I used for flipping. These days, I don't flip with it anymore because I have other rods specifically for that purpose,..but you will love that rod if you get it!

Kistler has what they call a "limited lifetime warranty" which has changed over the years and become a little less user friendly now, than the blind replacement policy which they used to have. But I've broken several over the years including 2 pretty recently (in 2009) and in every case, they've either replaced it for free or for a $50 charge (like GLoomis does..) depending on how old the rod was!

When they say telescopic,..it means that the top portion of the rod slides down into the butt/handle section to make them easier to handle. It turns a 7'6 or 8' foot rod into one that is only about 6 1/2 feet long for storage! I have long rods that are telescopic and others that are not. It does make the rods slightly heavier than if they were one-piece but I've not been able to tell much difference in sensitivity because of it. If storing a long rod is not going to be a problem for you then always get a 1-piece if there is a choice! Cool
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Tackle Warehouse has the 7'6" HE76HC for 239.99, do you know of any online/offline stores that might have it cheaper?

I found a ebay store called Simmons Sporting Goods that has the KISTLER HELIUM LTA 2009 HE76MHC 7'6" M/H CASTING ROD for$167.99 but they don't carry the HE76HC.

It looks like the difference is that the MH can handle a 1/4 - 3/4oz lure weight with 12 - 20lb test while the H is 1/4 - 1oz lure weight with 14 -20lb test. There is a 70$ price difference between the 2. If you were going to primary use this as a jig flipping rod is it worth the extra money to invest in the H vs the MH? Will the MH still be an effective rod for jigs and pulling bass out of heavy cover?

Justin
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Rod your comfy with, I use XTRA fast XTRA heavy, PERIOD!! when that fish bites hes out before he even knows what hit him. If your looking for light, I have a G-LOOMIS mossyback, Its light but not as stiff as i would like, and its the heaviest one they make, Now I have a NITRO bass pro rod that will destroy a house, you can rip apart a beaverdam if you wanted, I also have a PT TOUR flippin rod and its a little wimpy, I foung that around CT you can get away with wimpy rods but if you go down south or up north in the chestnut, you better have a meatstick, my favorite rod for chestnut is the NITRO, NO MERCY!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: