CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: what frog do you prefer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: what frog do you prefer Reply with quote

I have a couple of scum frogs that work great in attracting fish. However, it is extremely hard to set the hook. I always wait about 2 seconds before attempting to set the hook and more often then not I loose the fish.

I am going to order some frogs from bass pro shop online. What brand do you recommend?

Justin
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off,..what are you using for a rod and what line? If you are fishing that frog in cover (lily pads & matted weeds etc.) then IMO you need a Heavy-action rod and braided line.

Second thing is that no matter who you are and what equipment that you have,..you will always still miss fish when using a frog. It just is not a high percentage hookup bait! Sometimes they will just miss the bait entirely,..other times they will only get a leg,..etc. etc. Because of this you should always have a "follow-up" bait rigged and ready by your feet. If you get a blowup and don't hook the fish, as fast as possible toss that follow up bait into the same spot. You will get a surprising number of those missed fish to bite again. The follow up bait should be something that'll sink though,...like a jig or senko etc. they will bite those a lot more often than simply throwing the frog back again.

As far as which frog to use,..the Spro Bronze-eye frogs are about as good as they come (also IMO)! Cool
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a med heavy 6'6" rod with 20lb braided. I always use heavier tackle when fishing the lilies - don't want to snap the line.

"Second thing is that no matter who you are and what equipment that you have,..you will always still miss fish when using a frog"

that makes me feel better as I lost about 3 fish on saturday. One of them looked like a lunker:( I did land 3 2lbers so I guess 50% isn't too bad. Thanks for the follow up bait tip - I never thought of that.

Spro are on sale at bass pro - I am going to order some today.

This site is great, there is a ton of good info and helpful fisherman like yourself. I thought I new a lot about bass fishing but this site has taught me that I still have a lot to lean. I am going out on friday and I am gonna give drop shotting a first time go.

Justin
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Mark said. Spro is the best frog on the market IMO and god knows I've used alot of them! Nothing gets your heart going more than watching those top water strikes.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you skeeter. Now if I can just set the hook - I will be all set. I am definitely going to take marks advice with the follow up bait when i miss them. Hopefully, I will have better luck.

Justin
Nickp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try reaction innovatiosn swamp donkey. For the third trip in a row that lure has outproduced my spro's 5 to 1..... the lure is thinner and plain deadly. The hook are shit IMHO but the lure gets hit WAY MORE
Keith T

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick maybe right ...I got a Froggin lesson on the Hudson....but the guy missed way more bites than i did.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict,

I also use the Spro Bronze-eye frogs. They seem to work nicely. However like SkeeterJim would say " You have to set the hook hard"

I've my fair share of hook ups.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I've lost my fair share of hook ups.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: