CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: what is the best way to catch bass in really hot weather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass 4 me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: what is the best way to catch bass in really hot weather Reply with quote

hey again. bought our boat a 24 ft wellcraft with a 250 etec and salt is going great but my fresh water fishing is not. no mater where i fish since i am land locked i cant acsess deep water. since the water temp is so hot i am guessing that is where the bass are or i now suck at bass fishing. i recently baught fit over polerized glasses and can see 1 or 2 lone bass so i throw a shakey head or texas rig and unless it is right infront of there nose they dont move nonetheless strike. i have had mixed sucsess with a frog but i lost a ton of fish in the weeds(6lb line) as i said all this is in 2_4 feet of water cause i cant acsess deeper. so the big question how or what should i use to catch bass? ps sorry for the bad spelling as this was typed from my phone
Bass 4 me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys everybody Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad went fishing an hour or so ago and my goal was to fish the whole lake with a varity of baits I did not use there before. first I tied on a Zoom super fluke 4" in pearl. went to a pipe mouth and got 3 or so strikes no hookups but i could of probobly gotten one hookup if I was paying more attention. fished some more pipes with no results. Then wentto the lakes watter suply and caught about 10 lbs of weeds. last cast there I hook up with somthing big.it got in some weeds where I could not put that much tension I pulled it out then the hook came flying at me Crying or Very sad . It never jumped so I dont know exactly what it was but it pulled HARD as hard as some salt water fish and it was easily the biggest freshwater fish I ever hooked. I was in a loss of words at that point and it made me so depressed I just went home.
The only good thing that came from this trip is a drive to hook that fish again and I have more mixed results in what to use
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all Bass4me, I have no knowledge of the lakes down in Virginia or know how hot it has been there or the weather pattern but I do know one thing is I would NOT be fishing weeds etc. using 6lb. test line. One decent fish and you can kiss it goodbye because it would not take much for a 3-4 lber. plus the 3-4 pounds of weed and muck that you will also haul in to have the line break. I think you did the right thing by fishing deep if the weather has been hot and you probably used the same lures that maybe 90% of the guys would use but did it occur to you that maybe the weather/barometric pressure may have turned off the fish for those days that you've been out as in lockjaw. Now a good fisherman will always be weary and take into account of the days he's out such as was it sunny, cloudy, what was the water temp, windy, no wind, wind direction, water clarity, what depth were you marking fish/bait, etc, etc. There are sooo many variables that decides the degree of success a fisherman will experience but it is his and only his job to factor all he sees and mentally log the day in his mind so that he in turn will learn from it and process that information for future trips. So in answering your question, NO it is not the only good thing that you got from this fishing trip because if you thought about everything that you saw and experienced on the water that day then you have learned something. Above all else just keep at it and learn. This is why it's called fishing and not catching! Wink Very Happy

Jim
Bass 4 me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. sorry if I got a little hot after all I just lost that big fish Wink
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no worries, we all have our moments!! I take it you are enjoying the warm weather down there in Virginia. When the cold days of winter rolls around here I'm gonna wish I was down in your area! Very Happy You never quite asnwered my question, why are you using 6lb. line fishing the weeds?? With a set-up like that you're asking to lose fish.

Jim
Bass 4 me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using it because it is what I have right now. every time I walk into Basspro I drool over the baitcaster I want, but I am saving my money for a saltwater baitcaster for striper season. Right now I use two spools for my spinning rod 6lb floro and 8lb mono. I figured that even though the floro is 2lbs less than the mono the strech of the mono would kill me more than the strength of the floro Question

P.S I am NOT enjoying the 105 degree heat. I cant belive I am sayng it but right now I miss ct Embarassed
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass 4 me

I'd rather fish in the cold rainy drizzle we have up here in CT than the hot buggy humidity you have down there in VA. I was out of town for two weeks and was surprised at how much I missed CT.

It sounds like your boat would be perfect for the Potomac. I was in Herndon VA right before the 4th of July and couldn't find a local lake or river decent enough for me to buy a fishing license. However, if I had been closer to the Potomac, I definitely would have sprung for it.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well right now we are by the bay bridge so it would be quite a run to the patomic. we have used it offshore aswell as inshore and our first trip uot happend to turn into 4ft+ waves Confused not the best ride
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: