CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: What kind of fish?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zegermanznew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: What kind of fish? Reply with quote

Hi all, me and a couple of pals were fishing the CT River up on the Enfield/EW line.

A couple small LMB's were had but nothing worth talking about.

After about 2 hours of standing on a log protruding out into the river I caught eye of a fish I have not seen before.

It was making its way up stream very very slowly, didn't seem to have a care in the world, I kept dropping a Senko next to it and it wouldn't pay it any attention. I probably could have grabbed it with my hand it was so close, swimming a few inches under surface.

It appeared about 18" in length, was very dark in color (brownish) and was shaped somewhat like a trout. What threw us all off was; just in front of its tail fin it had a white-ish band wrapped around it, maybe 2 inches wide. It definitely wasn't a tag or garbage or anything, you could see it fade into the brown of the rest of the fish.

Any ideas?
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark brownish color on the CTR around 16" would make me think white sucker or brown bullhead, or maybe even a small carp. But a white band around it and shaped like a trout is what's making me confused.
zegermanznew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think your confused you should have seen the three of us looking at it.

Must have looked like . . . the first time a group of Neanderthal saw fire.

It definitely did not have the mouth of a sucker, I have not seen a carp other than pictures, so its hard to say.

The band was very distinct though, much brighter than the rest of the fish, it may have been more of a silver band, hard to tell under water.
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could have been a bowfin. look it up in a fish encyclopedia or on the internet
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: