CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: What knot?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: What knot? Reply with quote

What type of knot do you guys tie on for a buzzbait or spinnerbait? Once in a while when I'm making my retrieve the lure will flip in the water and i'm not sure if I should tie on a swivel or something or if this is fixed with a certain type of knot. Thanks for any info you can give me.
DV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the cheaper spinners roll if you reel to fast, you can also play with the wire side angle it is off from the factory most of the time even on the higher end stuff. Knot depends on line, PP = double palomar / Flouro = Double uni / Mono = uni for most stuff and palomar when I want a smaller knot.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input DV. I actually have had good luck with my spinnerbaits. I use the Booyah HD's and they work great. The buzzbait is what I've been having trouble with and I just included spinners because I figured they would both use a similar knot. The problem lure is my topwater heddon torpedos. They work fine when I cast them out but as they get close to me they tend to flip. I'm thinking it's due to line twist and was wondering if others have had the problem and what they do to cure it. I've used both the palomar and san diego jamb knot.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a palomar and or a fishermans knot. It sounds to me like you need to bend the shank of the spinnerbait to the left or right to get it to run true.

Are you throwing them on a spinning or baitcast setup?

Spinning reels are going to put a lot of line twist into the picture.

Always throw them on baitcast gear, unless you are throwing micro spinnerbaits, because they weigh almost nothing, and casting them may be really tough with baitcasting gear.

Hope this helps......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cinch knot for buzzbaits, palomar for soft plastics retrieved like buzzbaits. The knot doesn't have to be small or pretty on fast-retrieve topwater lures. I don't think it matters, and I don't think a small barrel swivel would hurt or make much difference - try it. On prop lures specifically though....if the prop is slightly out of whack it will roll on you, so check the blades often and make sure they're straight and nothing is preventing them from spinning freely.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check out the blades maybe that will help. If that doesn't do the trick I'll just try out a tiny swivel I use when I fish for trout. That should work. I am throwing it on a spinning reel right now. I need another baitcaster and rod soon I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: