CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: What Line Should I Use
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisp087

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: What Line Should I Use Reply with quote

Hey guys I'm new to the site. I was wondering what line/lbs test I should use for Pike fishing?? I have an Abu BCX with a 7ft MH rod. I'll mostly be throwing big spinners, swimbaits, and stickbaits with it.

Last season I just went with Berkley Trilene Mono 12lbs with or without a steel leader. I got less action with a leader though. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of using a steal leader, use a heavy duty 60 lb test mono leader.

I used to use Berkley XT all the time until I started getting great deals on Rapala and Suffix lines on Ebay. Rapala and Suffix monos are stronger than Berkley XT mono. For pike fishing, I'd go with 12 pound for the smaller fish and then work your way up using 16 and 20 for the bigger ones.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very familiar with Pike but I know with salt water fishing I use 15 lb mono with a 50 lb Seagar Flouro leader.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
chrisp087

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It seems to me that a 50 or 60 lb leader would be too big in diameter to tie to a 15lb line?? What about Fluorocarbon line as a main line? I was checking out Seaguar Red Label 15lb test
SolocamSteve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people prefer mono for its castability but to each their own. With flouro, the line is heavier than water, so it will sink... this can be a help or hinderence to you depeiding on the technique you use i/e flouro will take greatly away from/stunt the action of top water lures.

I like to use braid then tied to a flouro leader. If you find braid that you like, it cam be awesome both in castibility as well as strength. Flouro as leader material also because of its abrasion resistance compared to mono.

just my .02

-Steven
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as tying flouro 50 to 15 I use a barrel swivel inbetween to prevent line twist.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
chrisp087

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice! Fish finder- barrel swivel makes sense I didn't think of that before.
SolocamSteve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the time to learn a good line to line knot, it will help you out greatly as well, Knots such as the uni: http://www.fish4fun.com/Joining2Lines.htm

and the reverse albright: http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/nl/power_pro_v2/info/using_powerpro/knots/reverse_knot.html

with a little practice, tying these will become second nature, allowing for a quick change up when you run out of useful leader length.

a second advantage of this set up is if you are using a shorter leader, the knot can be wound onto the rod with little to minimal fouling therefore allowing better fish control if you dont have someone to work a long leader at boatside.

knots are just like lures, each have their own time and place, and knowing when to use a particular one will only benefit you in the chase of your trophy.

-Steven
bdiggy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 30lb braid with a 30lb FC leader on my pike setup. Double uni for straight line to line connection is a good way to go. With this, the knot between the 2 has the ability to slide through the top guide every once in a while for when you reel in a bit to far. Once you've tied any of the knots a few times, they become second nature and you'll figure out which ones suit you best. Tons of different options and websites to guide you through them. Can't wait to hook up some toothy critters this season!
chrisp087

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Sounds like braid with the flouro leader is the way to go. I'm going for big pike this year so I want to make sure I dont get any break offs, but at the same time I don't want a steel leader limiting action on lures.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Lake Winchester in August 2011, I caught a 35 inch northern pike with a big black Booyah Buzz buzzbait that was tied straight to 50 pound test PowerPro braid:

And on Lake Champlain in September 2010, my daughter, my father-in-law and I caught 20 pike and pike/chain pickerel hybrids on big spinnerbaits tied directly to braid with only one breakoff:

I guess I'm trying to say that if you're fishing for pike with buzzbaits or spinnerbaits, you don't need a leader if you're using braid.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and this Winchester beauty came in on 20lb braid with a 20lb FC leader on a 1/2oz T1 spinner.

chrisp087

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Nice fish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: