CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: What Sounds Better? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: What Sounds Better? Reply with quote

This year I'm gonna be comparing 2 7'6" surf rods that are both 1 piece. Lures I use will be the basic 3/8 to 1 ounce Rapalas and 1/2 to 1 ounce bucktails and jigheads. Some

First I'd like opinions from you guys on which sounds better as for feeling and action while taking swipes with it.

1 is a ML that casts with lures from 1/8 to 2 ounces. It is lightweight. Rod tip is fast and flexible like a rubber band, slingshot, and whip. Swings forward sharply on the cast before quickly coming right back.

The other is a light power that casts with lures from 3/8 to 1 ounce. It is a bit heavier than the ML. Rod tip is pretty stiff with some flexibility, such as a strong, sturdy tree branch. Think of playing baseball or hitting a strong piece of wood against the sidewalk.

Sensitivity, hook setting power, backbone for bigger fish, and launching those smaller Rapalas and 3/4 ounce jigheads with 10 pound Spiderwire Stealth are what I'm expecting.

I'm already very happy with my basic 8 footer after comparing it to 2 other 8 footers. It's more for the big boys and throwing 3/4 to 3 ounce stuff. More flexibility than the light power and stiffer than the ML.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 for the stuff you want to throw.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that although you may not get a great hookset.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

That fast, flexible, swiping, slinging, and whipping feeling is what makes me more confident in the ML than the L. Love how it has the power to launch backwards right after the cast.

Faster action and more backbone than your basic IM-6 Ugly Stik
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly sticks suck arse! I had 4 of them and after breaking 2 of them I sold the other 2. They have no action either. I still like my freshwater Ugly stick but would never buy another salt water broom stick.

Quentin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Jig Heads Reply with quote

I have had very good luck On the Cape Cod Canal Using the large Chatreuse Spro.. You can feel where it is at. Does not get snagged up like the typical Bucktails
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Ugly sticks suck arse! I had 4 of them and after breaking 2 of them I sold the other 2. They have no action either. I still like my freshwater Ugly stick but would never buy another salt water broom stick.

I wouldn't bother with those Ugly Stik saltwater series either. I've given them a few swipes at places that have them for sale and they don't have that fast, aggressive feeling like the one you guys recommend.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the posts you've put up about fish out of range, etc., I can't believe you don't go out there with something longer than 8'. My boat rods are 7'6". When I hit the surf to cast plugs, it's with my 10 footer. The extra 2' of leverage makes a huge difference in casting distance. Going surf fishing with a 7'6" rod is like going to a bear hunt with a BB gun. You should consider a longer rod for the sound to open up some doors.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
For all the posts you've put up about fish out of range, etc., I can't believe you don't go out there with something longer than 8'. My boat rods are 7'6". When I hit the surf to cast plugs, it's with my 10 footer. The extra 2' of leverage makes a huge difference in casting distance. Going surf fishing with a 7'6" rod is like going to a bear hunt with a BB gun. You should consider a longer rod for the sound to open up some doors.

I've never heard of using a 10 footer to throw a 3/8 ounce balsa Laughing

I've heard of using a 10 footer to catch a 40" striper Laughing
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

Throw some bigger lures!

Very Happy

Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
Michael wrote:

Throw some bigger lures!

Very Happy

Forget about it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A longer rod will help you throw a smaller plug Mike most definitely. The only problem is finding a longer rod with the action your looking for! I really think you should at least step up to a 9'er at minimum, Yiu can usually find them in 1/2-2 ounce. I know your throwing 3/8 ounce but It will do very well and that extra length = much more distance!!!! I wanted to get an 11'er for doing just that but couldnt find one or 1 in my price range, I didnt look at any that were over $300.

Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the rods advertised as salmon/steelhead rods come in 9-11' lengths, aren't necessarily noodle rods, and are designed to throw lighter lures. I've got a 9' that can really whip a light lure. That being said, most of the time, the big bass are feeding on big baits, so you need throw things like pencils, needlefish, metal lips and other big plugs or bigger soft plastics like sluggos or Hogys.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RNA, Michael doesnt like to catch big fish, he really is only targeting schoolies! Dont ask!!!! LOL

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
RNA, Michael doesnt like to catch big fish, he really is only targeting schoolies! Dont ask!!!! LOL

Thanks for speaking Wade

RNA, I enjoy throwing smaller 3 to 5" Rapalas for stripers 30" and under. From my history of surf fishing with bigger lures, I've hardly ever gotten anything big. Most of it has to do with time of day I fish due to me fishing by myself mostly and riding my bike and taking the city bus for transportation. Another thing is location, meaning the warmer western Sound

Another is I find stripers 32" and under give you the better fights when you're looking for a strong, aggressive fish. They shake and pull as you battle them. The cows quickly take a few long runs, which I find exciting, but then you're just dragging them in. Think of a wild young boy vs a 65 year old man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: