CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Conservation & DEP
Viewing Topic: What would you think of stricter fishing laws?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vudak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: What would you think of stricter fishing laws? Reply with quote

I'm curious what you all would think of Connecticut adopting a few stricter fishing laws, namely, defining a closed bass season to protect the fish during their spawn.

I understand there are some who will say "give them an inch and they'll take a mile," but I think it's a bit crazy that we don't protect these fish during that critical time. I think there is more than enough upside to justify holding up the tournaments for a month or so. Lake Champlain anglers don't seem to mind.

Your thoughts?
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thoughts are that fishing during spawn is fun....it would suck if there was an off season for bass....
On twenty-pound test "
Vudak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it doesn't mean you wouldn't still catch bass during the spawn - only that you'd have to release them.

Lake Champlain has strict fishing laws for spawning bass. I think bass season opens the 2nd or 3rd weekend in June. You're still more than welcome to fish - just not to take all species home for a few extra weeks.

I agree that I would NOT want to see spawn season completely off limits to fishing. Just something along the lines of Champlain's system.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the only person on this site who I know has eaten a largemouth bass this year, well, two actually, and only then because they didn't survive their hookectomies. I think catch and release is pretty widely practiced here. That's why I told the DEP surveyors that I'd have no objections to designating any of the lakes I fish as bass management (aka trophy bass) lakes:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/fishing/freshwater/bassbroc.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, slot limits or reduced creel limits is a good idea on a lake by lake basis.

Even so, the thought of taking any fish either before they've had a chance to spawn, or as they're defending their young just rubs me the wrong way. Admittedly, it could be argued that even catching them hurts the young's chances, but I think they have a much better shot if pop shows up a minute later as opposed to pop winds up on a dinner plate.

I don't do it, but I'm not against a person taking and eating fish. There are certain waters where it is even helpful. But I don't think it's illogical to suggest that protecting the spawn will enable more fish a chance to be caught and either released or eaten.

Taking fish while they are breeding is as far away from conservation as you can get.

Of course, I'll bet most anglers understand that, and the ones who don't are the bucket brigade anyway.
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dont think it would make a difference, even after it has been clarified for me that they can be fished but must be released. I would say probably 90% or more of the bass fishermen in CT are catch and release, the other 10% are comprised of fishermen who fish to feed their families (but who eats bass?....besides PECO Smile ) and a certain group of people (who I dont put in the same category as the forementioned fishermen) who we see all the time at our favorite spots fishing with worm and bobbers and keeping everything they pull out regardless of species or size....Those assholes are going to keep doing that no matter what, I would strongly doubt that they even have licenses....
On twenty-pound test "
Vudak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and a certain group of people (who I dont put in the same category as the forementioned fishermen) who we see all the time at our favorite spots fishing with worm and bobbers and keeping everything they pull out regardless of species or size....Those assholes are going to keep doing that no matter what, I would strongly doubt that they even have licenses....

You know, I was thinking of a good way to catch those types. Just walk up to them with a smile and a camera and introduce yourself as a writer for the local town paper. Say you're doing a story on local fishing and ask if you could take a picture with of them with their catch. Have 'em hold as many as they can. After you do that, you might even see if they'll let you measure them "to get a good idea of just what this lake produces." Butter them up a little, you know?

Then just figure out their license plate and send in a nice mountain of evidence to the DEP. It'd be pretty hard for them not to prosecute with half the work done for them.

They lie, we lie Smile
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

except that when I go fishing, I tend to want to relax as much as i can cuz if I didnt fish I would probably be found atop a clocktower, so the last thing I want to do is go out of my way to lose an hour of fishing and infiltrate a bunch of scummy $%@*&#$% (I really wish this wasnt a public forum where I had to hide what I was really saying/thinking) that are not going to change the way they do things anyway. Let the DEP issue a ticket or fine, are they gonna pay it? Prob not, I wouldnt, cuz whos gonna come after you for it? and what are they going to do? throw you in jail? I think not. The DEP is busy enough not having a budget to have enough emloyees to police every body of water and every scumbag who poaches....I admit its a crappy attitude, but it doesnt matter what they impliment, things are not going to change. Sportsmen are still going to be sportsmen and scumbags are still going to be scumbags....Im goin fishing
On twenty-pound test "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Conservation & DEP All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: