CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: When to and when not to use swivels? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: When to and when not to use swivels? Reply with quote

I've noticed that most crankbaits advise not using swivels and tyng directly to the ring on the lips instead. --Did I get that right? lol! But I have some types of spinners where the blade spins around on a clevis. It seems that if I directly tie onto this type of lure I'll get wicked line twist, so are these the types of lures I should use swivels on? --And, thanks for being patient with a retired rookie! --Len
mikey5string

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinnerbaits dont spin, the blades spin on the wire arm. I tie those directly to the main line. They stay straight up and down in the water.

Some plastics roll way more than anything else. Worms, especially if rigged crooked will roll and twist your line. I might use a swivel then a leader then tie direct to bait in a carolina rig or something like that.

Drop shot rigs cause line twist if youre twitching the bait a lot, some people use a swivel with them again with a leader, or in the drop shot rig just the rig tied on.

I rarely use swivels, I dont use many lures that cause line twist. I try to rig my plastics straight so they dont roll so I dont need a swivel.
MikeOkay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten into the habbit of just directly tieing everthing on. It seems to give some better control over the action of the bait in the water. Now i just have to figure out what that action is supposed to look like Laughing
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya im a tie straight to item guy only time I dont is for spoons. or down rigging

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that last year... but hated having to re tie everytime I changed a lure. I went back to snaps/swivels...it's just easier for me.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinners I always tie directly. Topwaters go either way, but doesn't ruin anything. Certain plugs and crankbaits I either tie direct or use just a snap.

Some crankbaits sink with a swivel attached. It has something to do with the extra weight. If the crankbait already has one of those circles attached to the nose, then tie direct.

Lots of times using a snap can make a difference in the swimming action if the crankbait doesn't already have one of those circles on the nose.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well 1 good thing about allways re-tieing you get real good at knots and theres never a loss fish caused by line wear.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys ever tried using "Norman Lures speed clips"?

JC
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tying everything these days. Snap swivels are just one more thing to pull grass off of. I got a large fingernail clippers on a retractable cord that clips to my bait bag and this has helped with the tooth pain (I use fluoro not braid.) I can now change bait in 20 seconds and the line is never beat up at the end. Straight plastics is key to line twist. I like to max cast and pinch the line above the first eye to take out any twist and tighten it on the spool (spinning.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: To swivel or not to swivel -- that is the question. Reply with quote

Thanks, all, for your tips from your experience. Maybe someday I'll be helping the next nubie, eh?
mikey5string

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeOkay wrote:
I've gotten into the habbit of just directly tieing everthing on. It seems to give some better control over the action of the bait in the water. Now i just have to figure out what that action is supposed to look like Laughing

You have to buy a $500 rod and put in hundres of hours to learn make the bait look "erratic". Wink
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tie flurocarbon as leader directly to braid...then the fluro ties directly to a crankbait. I NEVER use a swivel unless I'm using a 3 way rig in the ocean. All freshwater fishing for me is fluro directly to hook or lure. I mainly fish cranks and the action gets all screwed up if you use a swivel. Plus swivels can scare fish away, along with bring in more weeds than you need lol. As Bob said re-tying is another big reason. Once you start catching a lot of fish, the line eventually can fray or weaken. When you re tie it you have close to 100% of your line strength. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimiChanga wrote:
Have you guys ever tried using "Norman Lures speed clips"?
JC

I use those quite often. Especially when in a tourney and constantly switching up lures to find what triggers the bite. They're super small so you may need to use a pair of needle-nose to grip them.

They work. I use them but I still prefer a direct tie.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
I tie flurocarbon as leader directly to braid...then the fluro ties directly to a crankbait. I NEVER use a swivel unless I'm using a 3 way rig in the ocean. All freshwater fishing for me is fluro directly to hook or lure. I mainly fish cranks and the action gets all screwed up if you use a swivel. Plus swivels can scare fish away, along with bring in more weeds than you need lol. As Bob said re-tying is another big reason. Once you start catching a lot of fish, the line eventually can fray or weaken. When you re tie it you have close to 100% of your line strength. Very Happy

I dont think swivels spook fish. Look at a wacky rig(hook in plain sight), drop shot, tex rig, alabama rig! spinnerbaits with wire arms....All have terminal tackle and all are some of the most effective bass rigs.

If a hook in the bait doesnt spook them a swivel wont. Especially if its 12" above the bait. A small ant like object moving through the water will less likely scare him off than the 7" purple and green sparkle plastic crawfish with 6 tentacles, claws, rattles, and a hook shank sticking out of its belly Wink

IMO if a fish gets spooked it is most likely because of something else that might be happening. An unnatural bait/color/presentation. A loud splash into the water in an otherwise quiet area, a dropped bullet weight in an aluminum boat Embarassed Too fast a retrieve, to slow... Your/your boats shadow or reflection in the water.....

That being said, I dont use swivels I usually tie a leader on with a j-knot if im after that effect. I find that knot tends to snag little bits of weeds/pond scum. Its just so easy and fast to tie....

An embarassing story... Today I was fishing at Candlewood (first time ever) with a freind and a great fisherman on his bass boat. He was catching fiish pretty regularly...slow but one or two an hour. I couldnt get bit. FINALLY I got a decent smallie on the line, hook was set, bringing him up to the boat and 'snap'...

gone

right at the swivel that i forgot i tied on to help with line twist with the fluke i was using. I reeled the swivel to the tip and that was it. The other guy laughed at me and called it such a rookie mistake. it was, and to hell with line twist, ill drag it behind a boat. no more swivels for me!
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I use swivels is with a C-rig.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: