CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Where to find Blue Crab on the CT River (Near Hartford) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kibitzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Where to find Blue Crab on the CT River (Near Hartford) Reply with quote

Hello!

I was fishing yesterday in Glastonbury on the CT River and someone was telling me he was catching blue crabs by the DEP. Can anyone point me as to where this location is? I've been scouring through posts and google and I see a bunch on the "DEP Docks" or "DEP Pier" but have no clue where it is!

Also am wondering where there may be good spots to catch some crabs near the Hartford area?

Just getting into fishing and whatnot and trying to figure out where to go and what to do!
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ur not going to catch crabs near the hartford area, the wont hit freshwater, if theres not alot of rain they'll make it up the river a little bit but not near hartford. DEP docks - take route 9 south, to 95 North, take exit 70 - Old lyme exit, Take a right off the exit, take your 2nd right onto i believe its Ferry Rd. it will say DEP Marine head quarters. Follow that road to the end, theres a small parking lot, follow the board walk. Crab right under the bridge where the rock ledge is. Thats an okay spot you'll get 4-6 blue crabs in an hour - hour and a half, if u wanna find better spots, go to old say brook or west brook and spend ALOT of time looking for them, once u find a sweet spot, they'll be there every year Smile
RobO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct CTHonkie. It is Ferry road. Laughing

Kibles.. Make sure you have a crab net at least 6 feet long for the DEP dock.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

The DEP is located at the mouth of the Ct. River left (East) bank.
Blue crabs won't go much above Essex, Ct. due to fresh water coming down.

SeaDog1
cmorenito1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: crab fishing Reply with quote

hey guys im from danbury ...what would be the closest place for me to go grap some crabs ????????thanks in advance Very Happy
asianfisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: crab fishing Reply with quote

Long ways to go bro.... july and aug best months for them... here is one outting from 2010...
cmorenito1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow dude where do u go ???? And what do u catch them with a cage or a string and net ?????
asianfisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao canoe. spot light. net. 1 hr right there.......
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: crab fishing Reply with quote

cmorenito1 wrote:
hey guys im from danbury ...what would be the closest place for me to go grap some crabs ????????thanks in advance Very Happy

Come down 58 to fairfield. The dam at the back of southport harbor is loaded with them. Saw somebody last aug/september with 8 lines out and like 5 buckets full. I saw the crabs go all the way up mill river into perry's pond last yr. 100% freshwater, they were chilling by lily pads. Also caught an 8" striper up there in the far end of the pond.
cmorenito1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks crest daddy ,,... What do u mean by come down 58 to Fairfield could u be a bit more technical I'm new to CT so I don't know my roads yet .. Sad lol
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crabs are not coming in ct in #'s like 10-15 years ago... But they are out there and still can be found in #'s just not everywhere in #'s like they used to be... Havent looked into it and sure i dont want know... You have time... again. aug-sept best months but you sure can find them late june and july also....
cmorenito1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks asianfinder .. i was thinking of also doing some salt water crab/ stripper fishing at the longbeach park in stamford CT ..... anyone ever heard about fishing in that area??
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i have... and decent area. Strictly land or yak, boat? whats your gear like. all artificial or are you tryin to bait fish... Cause the stripers are out now but just for the hardcore person to be out on the waters right now.. im in... Phil says he is in we going out on yaks soon.... Think Kira is in too...
cmorenito1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I wish I had a yak Sad I have future meeting dates hopefully with PEPco for some yak action .... Imma first timer but I learn extremely quick .. In regard to my equipment I was just going to do some bait casting ... I would love to go with you pros though ..
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would never label myself that. although would be nice. For a newbie sorry wont take one out this early in the season if never been. To dangerous. Water is cold and for newbie first time on a yak should be small place without moving water nevermind warm water.... But from shore one more month and shore fishing should start in spring soon as alewife start coming up...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: