CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: White Crappie
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: White Crappie Reply with quote

Rather than do a bunch of tedious browsing of archives, I thought I'd just throw it out there: what has been everyone else's experiences with white crappie in CT? I haven't actually taken notice the past ten years or so which species I reel in every time I reel in a crappie. The larger ones are much easier to tell the difference, and I haven't caught a large white crappie in over a dozen years. i may or may not have caught small ones since then I truly can't say. The last time I remember catching catching them was in a condominium pond feeding Branch Brook in Thomaston, CT. There were GIANT black and white crappie in there. Anyways ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have white crappie in the Northeast. White crappie are found more towards the Virginias, Carolinas, Gerogia, and Tennessee Valley.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White crappie are widely distributed in Pennsylvania, so I'm sure that they could be in Connecticut, too, although I've never seen one. But, then again, I've never counted the number of dorsal spines on the crappie that I've caught; black crappie have seven or eight, while white crappie have only five or six. I've always assumed that the ones I've caught were black crappie.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since we're on the subject, would this be a white crappie? or a black one? got it at a pond in town last summer
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JesseC wrote:
since we're on the subject, would this be a white crappie? or a black one? got it at a pond in town last summer

From the pattern on the scales, that's a black crappie. The dark scales on white crappie tend to form a pattern of vertical stripes along their sides. However, the only way to be completely sure is to count the number of dorsal spines.

No offense, but that's a pale looking black crappie. I love the bright green ones, although the ones that are actually black are pretty cool, too. Here's a photo that TurtleKiss (aka Kira) took of one that I caught in the Connecticut River, last year. She tends to oversaturate the colors in her photos, but it really did look like this in the sunlight:

Notice that it has eight dorsal spines (i.e., the shorter ones at the front). A white crappie would have five or six.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are black, white and hybrid crappie here in CT, as well as in MA, VT, NH. (no data on ME) the white have been established here since at least 1986 according to USGS collection data. I have also caught them as explained in my post. I was catching them alongside black crappie where it was clear as day that they were two different species. This is a link to USGS collection data compiled from collections done in 1986 and 1996. http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/collectioninfo.aspx?SpeciesID=408 (Not the row on the right that reads "established") It would seem strange that the entire species would disappear in the past 19 years, as climate change has actually shifted more towards a southern climate, and changing ph levels have not had as drastic an effect in CT as they have had in other parts of the NE. [url][/url]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed, while researching all this that the DEP records only list the one species "Calico Bass." Im curious as to whether they would consider recognizing both species, as well as the hybrid in a separate new state record. Also, I would love to see some pictures of the white variety caught in CT posted on here now that, well, at least, I, am on a cryptozoology expedition.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that I've never caught one. Thanks for giving me another fish species to target, jimbjonez. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
JesseC wrote:

From the pattern on the scales, that's a black crappie. The dark scales on white crappie tend to form a pattern of vertical stripes along their sides. However, the only way to be completely sure is to count the number of dorsal spines.

No offense, but that's a pale looking black crappie. I love the bright green ones, although the ones that are actually black are pretty cool, too. Here's a photo that TurtleKiss (aka Kira) took of one that I caught in the Connecticut River, last year. She tends to oversaturate the colors in her photos, but it really did look like this in the sunlight:

Notice that it has eight dorsal spines (i.e., the shorter ones at the front). A white crappie would have five or six.

thanks for the info! the colors on that fish are beautiful! Very Happy
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive caught crappies that were whiter than normal but definitaly werent a white crappie.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place in Thomaston that I caught them before is splattered with no fishing signs as of last year, but they may have gotten in there from Black Rock Lake. Either that or they were stocked for the condo community for recreation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: