CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Winchester Lake - 09/05
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Winchester Lake - 09/05 Reply with quote

My daughter had the day off from school and I didn't want her to just sit around the house, so I took her fishing at Winchester Lake. We didn't fish long; we were on the water from 12:45 pm to 4:30 pm. There was a brisk north wind blowing straight down the lake at up to 15 miles per hour. The water temperature was a cool 74 degrees, but the water wasn't as clear as it usually is, with only a couple of feet of visibility. There were a couple of other boats on the water on the north end of the lake, so we headed to the first cove to the west of the ramp. We had stopped at McDonald's and picked up lunch on our way to the lake, and I told my daughter that we weren't allowed to eat it until each of us had caught a fish. On my first cast in six feet of water with a Texas rigged watermelon/red flake Zoom Lizard with a 1/8 ounce bullet weight, I caught a 14 inch largemouth bass:

Only five minutes later, my daughter caught a short largemouth bass with a wacky rigged Green Pumpkin/Red Flake Senko casted at the edge of some lilies that lined the shore:

After we enjoyed our fast food lunch Very Happy , we worked our way around the cove. She pulled another short, but larger, largemouth bass out of a laydown:

I also caught a short largemouth bass with the Texas Lizard, before we got tired of fighting the wind that was swirling around the cove and decided to motor up to seek more shelter on the north end of the lake. Unfortunately, there wasn't any shelter to be found near the stump field in the north cove, so we headed into the northwest cove and settled in next to the house. The wacky rig wasn't working for my daughter, so I showed her how to drop shot a 2-1/2 inch Gulp! Minnow. It wasn't long before she boated a sunny and a keeper 12 inch largemouth bass:

Whoo hoo! Very Happy Shortly after, I caught a little pickle:

When we were in the northwest cove, the wind shifted to the east and blew straight at us, so we headed back into the main body of the lake and let the wind blow us back down the lake toward the ramp. The wind rose until the waves started rolling, so I called "Just One More". Thankfully, the drop shot Minnow got my daughter a rock bass out of the stumps in 12 feet of water:

We headed straight back to the ramp and got off of the choppy water. A quick fishing trip sure beats sitting around the house. Happy New Year, everyone!

Last edited by PECo on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Phil. What size line do you use for dropshots?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
avidangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going Phil!.....And daughter too.

I was wondering where you've been.I haven't seen to many reports from you lately.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anointed130 wrote:
Great report Phil. What size line do you use for dropshots?

I've been using 15 pound test P-Line Fluoroclear fishing line on a spinning reel for drop shotting, but would probably go with a much lighter line if drop shotting was all that I did with it. I tie all sorts of lures on the same setup, including jigs for schoolie striper fishing, so the heavier line works best for me.

avidangler wrote:
I was wondering where you've been. I haven't seen to many reports from you lately.

I've been too busy to write fishing reports, lately. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate and I'll be able to fish Lake Champlain with NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) this weekend. Unfortunately, the forecast doesn't look very good, right now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fluorocarbon P-Line has been working great for me. 8lb Drop Shotting and 15lb Jigging. Been using since spring after I swore I'd never use flouro again. Peco hooked me up with it. I fish a lot and get some pretty good size fish including a Pike and only just recently snapped off a fish on a jig. My wife was with me and couldn't get the hang of netting so like a idiot I tried to muscle the fish into the boat. Other than that, with numerous trips I only snapped off once and it was my own fault.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: