CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Winchester Lake 10/21
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Winchester Lake 10/21 Reply with quote

When I typed the Subject for this post, I mistyped it as Windcheater Lake, which was apropos, considering the conditions we endured today. By "we", I mean Redneckangler (aka Brian), DCAJ (aka Dave), bass tracker (aka Greg), Bill, x182dan (aka Dan), Derek, NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and mep21 (aka Mark). Ironically, we were all who showed up for the CTFishFinder Fall get together and we're all mostly CTFishTalk guys. Wink SeaDog1 (aka Stephen) made a special appearance and saw us off at the ramp when we launched into the already windblown lake at 8:00 am:

We had a largemouth bass lunker pool and fished from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm. The air temperature stayed in the low to mid 50s and we enjoyed mostly sunny skies all day. The water temperature ranged from 52 to 55 degrees and the water was crystal clear. During the rare moments of calm water, you could see the bottom of the lake very clearly more than six feet down. It would have been a really nice day for fishing, except for the wind. Confused The forecast I saw predicted winds up to 11 miles per hour. If only! Rolling Eyes By 9:00 am, the five to 10 mile per hour north-northwest wind rose up and began blowing at 15 to 20 miles per hour, with gusts over 20! Shocked Yeap, we all got chilled pretty quickly; I ended up putting on my rain gear just to keep warm. I threw a jig & pig, a wacky rigged five inch Senko, various spinnerbaits, a five inch slow sinking Sebile Magic Swimmer, a Texas rigged Zoom Baby Brush Hog and various Rapala crankbaits, and got only one bite all day. It was 1:00 pm and I had reached that moment when I thought, "I don't want to get skunked. Please let me catch just one fish." Now, something I learned today is that when you ask the fishing gods for a fish, you should be specific about the fish you want. If you don't ask for a BIG fish, this is what you get:

Thank goodness for the Perch Rapala Jointed Shad Rap JSR07! Very Happy As 2:00 pm approached, I let the wind push me down the lake to the ramp:

When I got close to the ramp, I saw Brian in his boat, Dan and Derek in theirs, Bob and Mark in theirs, and Greg and Bill in theirs. I looked around, but didn't see any sign of Dave. Confused That's when Bob told me that JJay (aka Jason) had shown up with his girl for a short paddle in their kayaks in the middle of the day, just as Dave gave up his fight with the wind and headed off of the water. When the rest of us got our boats off of the water at 2:00 pm, I learned that we had caught only eight fish between us. Confused Greg still had his in the livewell of his boat:

Brian had managed four, only one of which might have been a keeper. Bob had caught a 12 inch keeper, but was the only one of us who wasn't in the pool. However, the winner of the lunker pool was Dan, who had caught two fish, the largest of which was just over 15 inches long. Congratulations, Dan! Very Happy After we had all strapped our boats onto their trailers and stowed our gear, we headed up to the parking lot, grilled up some burgers and dogs, and had something to eat and drink. Here are the other seven hard core open water fishermen:

It was really nice to meet some of you for the first time and to see everyone. Even you, Bob! Laughing I'm already looking forward to doing this, again, in the Spring. Hopefully, it'll be warmer by then. Laughing

Last edited by PECo on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some real faces! A fun day but tough fishing. Went the first 4+ hours without a fish! I started throwing Sebile swimmers all the way up the west side and both coves looking for pike. No luck. One turned away at the boat and that was it. Threw various colored jigs and crankbaits in the stumps. Motored into the thickest stumps and tied up. Went to a gold willow leaf spinner with a pearl baby shad body and had two quick hits. Moved and picked up two more dinks. Then I threw away my spinner. Only one I had in that pattern.
A couple of slobs!

And a keeper? Maybe if I stretched it out good.

Looking forward to another get together in the spring. Hope to see of you still out there this fall!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Glad to have met you guys !
Wish I could have joined you, but had to pick up the wife at the airport.

Yeah! Windy day -> BUT

Thumbs Up

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
x182dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice meet all you guys!!! Really wish the wind slowed down but that never happened it seemed until we were off the water. It was a tough day for me with only two fish which was which were my only two hits of the day. I really couldn't fish the stumps like I wanted to with the horrible wind. Both were caught on jigs sitting on the bottom. Lost a few jigs too. Hopefully we will have another gathering in the spring! Heres the winner!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't stick around.

The waves were getting too rough for my open kayak. It just wasn't too safe for me to stay out there.

I was going to cruise up to Bob and Mark and let them know that I was heading back but it was too choppy so I just started letting the wind take me back towards the landing.

Still had a good time, nice meeting everyone and wouldn't mind doing it again.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough day out there but I wish I could have joined you. Hopefully I'll be able to make it in the spring. Or maybe and ICE outing at some point this winter?
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCAJ wrote:
Sorry I couldn't stick around.

No worries, Dave. Very Happy I told Bob and Mark that if I had caught a decent 16+ incher early in the day, I would have gotten off of the water and just waited for everyone else to finish fishing at 2:00 pm. Laughing After all, I was the only one in a manually powered boat out there. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After all, I was the only one in a manually powered boat out there.

My trolling motor couldn't get me back fast enough.
I felt like I was surfing. Cool
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definatly a good time hooking up with the gang .......
Rough day of fishing.the only way we could work a lure was to tie up to a stump fish the area and move to the next one.
Mark (Mep21) and I finaly had to make the move south when we started dragging stumps with us as the gust picked up to over 20mph. The wind made boat control and safety a issue , in a boat like mine with 18inches of side board showing it was like sailing . The stump tops vanished in the chop made moveing around under power a little iffy, we even managed to high end ourself 1x on a stump for a minute Embarassed (think RNA said he did also).
The man powered boats it was bordering dangerous when you factor in water temp , windchill and the hidden stump tops. Luckly the day passed without issue. I for one had a great time Thumbs Up

The single thing that impressed me the most about you all that attended:

This is a safety minded group and all kept a eye on each other. Help was never more than a minute away if needed and not a single team docked before all members where accounted for. DCAJ who couldnt stick the wind and had to bail didnt just book out before he checked in with a group member to let us know he was safe.

Thanks to Mark for draggng his grill down to the lake and the rest who supplied the food and drinks. Hope to fish with you all again soon ..........
And for those who coundnt make it this time. I would keep a eye on the forum and really try to make the next gathering its a great time

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Sunday at Windychester Reply with quote

Opps, mis-spelled Winchester... well not really!
Boy was it a tough day out there. The wind was really the difference between a decent day and what we had. At one point the wind pushed us so hard into a stump it almost knocked me off the boat. I went from standing to sitting real fast. But it was great to finally put a face to a name, enjoyed meeting and fishing with everyone. And thanks to all who brought the dogs & burgers (and grill), hit the spot after being in the cold for six hours. We will have to do this again, weather permitting. Maybe next year we could do something once a month, say May thru October? Well lots of time to think it over.

Greg

p.s. - just saw the weather forcast, next Saturday looks good, anyone want to do it again somewhere?
mep21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice meeting all of you on Sunday! Really a great all around event.

Much thanks to Bob for letting me take the front seat of his boat. Really didn't want to paddle in that wind! Shocked

I definitely plan on getting out this weekend to get rid of that skunk I posted on Sunday. Let me know if something is going on and I might be up for joining the group again.
getthosestripes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so did u guys have like somekind of like fishing party or something? i dont feel like reading anything right now. my eyes hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getthosestripes wrote:
so did u guys have like somekind of like fishing party or something? i dont feel like reading anything right now. my eyes hurt.

Yeap. Here's the post about it:

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/oct-21st-get-together-t10666.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those who didnt make it for the fishing get together....this is what a 11mph wind looks like (weathermans allways right Shocked )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son and I though about going. We saw Sunday's forcast(breezy=WINDY at winchester) so We fished highland Saturday instead. Got to get some warmer gear. My son out grows it faster than I can afford it lately.

Glad you all had a good time. Surprised no pike were caught?

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: