CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: winchester lake 9/11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watthe555

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: winchester lake 9/11 Reply with quote

hit winchester because the weather was good. got on the water at about 4 pm and there was a slight breeze. started fishing right away and went into the small cove on the right side of the launch. didnt catch anything so we hit the other side near the houses or condos. got a small 11" lgm on my spinnerbait. then i decided to hit the lilly pads next the house all the way in the back. my dad got a 10" lgm bass. worked our way through to the swampy part and my dad caught another lgm bass about 6" on a swimming senko and i was going to use it for pike but then decided to put it back.went to the lilly pads in the middle. my dad tied put a new swimming senko on and threw it to the edge of the weeds. he quickly got a hit and started reeling it in. then the fish spit it out and when he got it to the boat is was bit in half. that thing was pulling hard so im thinking it was a large pickeral or small pike. got off the water at 7:30 pm. not good of a day but had some fun. on the way back to the ramp we saw a 20 person kayak squad going into the lake for the night.

i would love to upload pics but i dont know how to put them in gallery 2. if anyone could tell me how that would be great.

-phil
bdiggy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post them here in the report. That lake can be really tough a lot of the time, but when it pays out, it pays out big too! The 6.5lb LM and 42 in Pike i've caught there keep me going back!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. Glad you had fun.

Just a word of caution...it was a good call putting the LMB back and not using it for pike bait. It is not leagal. Here's a quote out of the CT Angler's Guide with a list of fish that can NOT be used as bait...

Quote:
BAIT Any animal or vegetable, or their parts, living or dead, used with
a hook for the purpose of attracting and catching fish. Any fish legally
acquired, except largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, chain pickerel,
northern pike, trout, salmon, carp and goldfish
may be used as bait.
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watthe555,

Just go to imageshack.us and create an account for free. You can upload your pictures there and then when you post your report here just put the tag in the body of the message. For instance if I had a picture that I had on imageshack...when I click on it, it has a tag like this....[img]etcetc[img]

I thought that was the easiest way. Also you are better off using yellow perch for bait since thats one of the easiest to catch and legal.

I have to make it out to Winchester soon..there and Candlewood.

-Steve
watthe555

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dirtydawg never knew that.

i think next time i go to winchester i'm gonna go at night for pike. went there about 4 times in a row and haven't caught much. i think the rain scared the fish till next week. but 3 weeks ago i saw some nice fish getting pulled out by tourney guys.
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would have a muh better chance for a pike during the day. Remember, that they are sight feeders and not active at night. I have found that first light is the best time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flipper, i was thinking about using crawfish for bait. would it work to catch pike? ive caught some big bass on them though
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big spinnerbaits or buzzbaits will get you largemouth bass and northern pike right now. The Fall feeding frenzy has begun!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watthe555 wrote:
flipper, i was thinking about using crawfish for bait. would it work to catch pike? ive caught some big bass on them though

As Flipper said -> Pike are sight feeders, yet will scavange dead fish/cut bait off the bottom.
I don't belive they eat crawfish -> Never hear that they do!
Try it though - Might work -> tails only probably Rolling Eyes

SeaDog1
watthe555

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea all i do is pull the claws off so they dont cut through the line.
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of large (8"-12") golden shiners and fallfish (creek chubs, river dace, or whatever) for pike bait. I prefer them live under a large bobber, but have caught pike with fresh dead ones on the bottom, too. I'm not sold on anything that has been frozen. My biggest tip is to use 50lb flourocarbon as a leader.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: