CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Winchester Lake
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Winchester Lake Reply with quote

Got out to Winchester for a short two hour trip. First time to the lake and took my two year old son along as a lucky charm. Landed two quality bass within the first hour and than nothing else. Bass were between 3 and 3 1/2 pounds. Got them on a soft plastic around some timber in about 8 feet of water. Really wanted to get a pike, basically the reason I choose this lake. Anybody have any tips for pike fishing this lake?
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Winchester Lake Reply with quote

Jay B wrote:
Anybody have any tips for pike fishing this lake?

Go later in the Fall. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Winchester Lake Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Jay B wrote:
Anybody have any tips for pike fishing this lake?

Go later in the Fall. Very Happy

I got wind of a 38 incher coming out of Bantam's north end last week.

The Bridgewater section of Lilly has been producing tons of pike also.One regular is well past the 100 mark this year alone!

You can always try large shiners or catching pond shiners then,bobber fishing them around the stumps in the back of Winchester.Large spinner baits,large stick baits.
Otherwise,as PECo mentioned....Wait till the fall.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Last edited by avidangler on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
bdiggy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this one off the front of the stump field a few weeks ago on a big Strike King bottom dweller. Not much, but at least a pike. They're there all year. Got a 42" there this time a few years back. Hot day, but again, on a spinner, and in the same area.
avidangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking fish bdiggy! Congratulations!

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
x182dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant say I'd choose Winchester if I was just targeting pike. Yes they are in there but you'd have better luck elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So other than Bantam Lake, where would you guys suggest going to target pike? How would you guys rate the fight of a pike? I have heard mixed opinions of of tough pike are. I have heard their strike is vicious, but they tire fast. Is this accurate?
avidangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay B wrote:
So other than Bantam Lake, where would you guys suggest going to target pike? How would you guys rate the fight of a pike? I have heard mixed opinions of of tough pike are. I have heard their strike is vicious, but they tire fast. Is this accurate?

I would go to the Housatonic river or any lake along it.The Bridgewater section of Lillinonah is a good place lately.

bdiggy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay B wrote:

They are like any other species. Sometimes you can hook a 12"er that fight's like a 12 pounder, or vice versa. When you hook a good one, for the most part though, you certainly know it. Kind of like snagging a log, only it fights back!
x182dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly the CT River is where its at for big healthy sized pike. I have never personally fished it but I know its where the big ones come from. I have had good luck fishing for pike in lilly, bantam, beseck lake. I need to try the housy for pike!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are big Pike to be had in the CT River. I caught a few nice ones there including a 40" er. As another poster said about the Housy, its about the coves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishin'Fireman wrote:
There are big Pike to be had in the CT River. I caught a few nice ones there including a 40" er. As another poster said about the Housy, its about the coves.

Above the falls village dam is great....not really any coves but,there are a few feeder streams....oxbows and TONS of fallen timber.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: