CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Windsor Launch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLostGringo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Windsor Launch Reply with quote

I recently found this site and have just got back into fishing again.

Was wondering if anyone ever launches at the Windsor Launch under the Bissell Bridge and has any luck in that general area. Love to catch Smallmouth as I grew up on them up at Lake Winnipesaukee.

Thanks
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostGringo,

I have never launched my boat into the river above Hartford so can't help you there as far as spots. Just be very careful that far north as the river gets very shallow therefore increasing your chances for a prop strike or worse. But there are tons of smallies up that way, just gotta get to them. Wink

Jim
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you're new, so I won't bust your balls too bad, but this post does belong in the "River Fishing" section. Just an FYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
P.DONA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've launched at the East Barber St. launch twice . It's an easy launch, STEEP , though, good parking.
What kind of boat will you be using ?? Shallow drafting boat would be nice.

It's very shallow in that area of the river, but take your time, use the trolling motor looking for bass and you should be fine. Around the islands north looks like bass territory.
Check out WWW.MAPS.LIVE.COM, search for WINDSOR, CT, look for EAST BARBOR ST. and snoop around the area.. Click on BIRDS EYE VIEW, You'll get familiar enough with the stretch.

The Farmington River feeds into the area just north of the islands, north of the Bissel Bridge. VERY shallow in area, but navigatable with a shallow drafting boat. Wink

I've only catfished the area, so I don't know the smallmouth scores, but it does look good for smallies..

Good luck! The islands north of the Bissel bridge are actually called TITTS ISLAND Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the if the islands to the north are tits.... then the islands to the south must be.... Wink Wink Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
Esox CT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was up in Enfield/Suffield today fishing the dam and boat launch, from shore though. No signs of smallie activity, but I did have two keeper stripes coming after my jig, but no takers. I also saw my first sturgeon. HUGE! Be careful up there in a boat. You should get an air boat like the Enfield FD has. That is one hell of a machine!!
TheLostGringo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all. the replies. I have a relatively small flat boat that has a fairly shallow draft. Will stick to the trolling motor mostly. If the damn rain ever stops I will give it a try.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a trolling motor won't cut it on the main river you will end up in the mouth. Especially with all the rain.

Justin
BASSINJAYCT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the launch in windsor is hard to keep boat staight when loading or unloading the current is very strong and will push the boat side ways onto the trailer .the water is shallow in that part of the river but if you stay in the channel it is passable just be careful the smallies are up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: