CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Windsor Locks Canal 6/29
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee_Boog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Windsor Locks Canal 6/29 Reply with quote

Made the trip from New Britian to my first and favorite smallmouth bass location at the beginning of the Canal State Park in suffield. Been going there 10+ years, actually worked broadleaf tobacco to buy a bike so I could ride to the spot, good ole days lol.
Arrived shortly after 7:30 am and right away knew it was tough conditions. Water was up and fairly cloudy from the CTR flowing so rapid. I posted up on a stone pillar and started working my brightest Bomber 6a crankbait along the structure lines in about 10 ft water. If there were ever any water conditions to sour the mood I think I found it, just terrible visibility, and an annoying breeze coming at 2 directions. To be honest I expected it to start raining as the sky was fairly overcast.
Switched over to a Rapala SSR-7 perch color and right away it produced a small largemouth about 9" but very healthy looking. No sooner after I threw him in I must've got into a rock bass pool, 5 fish in 6 casts with all of them in full color display( defense habit?). Switched over to a 4" super salt watermelon/red flake work and drop shotted for a bit with no results.
At this point it was about 9 am and I had officially sold out. I called my buddy and told him to meet me with 2 dozen shiners, medium heavy. Tied on size 4 hook with a gold blade and waited for his arrival. During this time I noticed the water starting to clear up slightly and the clouds kinda breaking, perhaps a turn for the good? Smile
9:30 and I'm back in the water with a medium heavy shiner hooked up, no weight. Instantly start gettin hammered, with the glasses on I can see 2-3 bass just swarming which was way better then any fishing show in HD lol. Started pulling up some nice 14"-15" smallies, very nice coloring, no real visible scarring which had been a problem there with all the rocks. This guy was the lunker out of them all, I couldn't get a great measurement but it looked like 16"[BR][BR]
Shortly before we decided to call it quits my buddy connects with somethin real decent. This was definitely the lunker measuring at 19 1/4". All told we both got a half dozen smallies and some other panfish mixed in.[BR][BR]
chud059

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's on the canal side? wow! I haven't fished there in a couple of years... I grew up in WL and used to ride my bike from downtown to the damn a lot! Last time I was there, the canal side seemed very shallow..didn't catch anything....30 years ago it was deeper...wow, 30 years ago..i'm old...lol... nice catch, I'll have to try it again when I'm in the area again...nice fish.
chud059

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...oh yea, I picked tobacco for one summer also, christian brothers, suffield and agawam.... worst job of my life, wouldn't do it again...dirty hot disgusting, the pay was ok at the time but still, I hated that summer.
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey nice bass, and nice report! -Dan
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome smallies!
OLD TIMER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WAS RAISED IN ENFIELD STARTED FISHING THE DAM WHEN I WAS 8 YEARS OLD THATS WHEN BIGALOW CARPET STILL PUMPED DYE IN THE RIVER AND THE WATER WOULD FOAM BLUE AND GREEN BELOW THE DAM THE BEST SMALL MOUTH IN THE STATE FROM THE TRAIN BRIDGE TO THE DAM
Gee_Boog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather worked at Bigelow waaaayyyy back when and my father remembers them taking down the old bridge. All well before my time but interesting to hear about the history. Worth appreciating when the fish aren't biting Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: