CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Won a 6 day fishing trip to Ramsey lake in CANADA!! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Won a 6 day fishing trip to Ramsey lake in CANADA!! Reply with quote

Went to the Whitetails Unlimited dinner/raffle and my friend Dave and I bid during the live auction on a 2 person, 6 night fishing trip in Ontario, Canada on Ramsey Lake courtesy of Ray's Camps.

I'll be fishing for pike, walleye, and smallies mostly. They also say the perch bite up there is great, but I can catch plenty of perch in CT. lol.

The camp is the only fishing camp on the lake, and the whole thing includes a 14ft boat, 9.9 hp evinrude motor, a full pantry stocked with food, and lodging.

I CAN'T WAIT!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I will be bringing my Hat-Cam to take hands free video, my digital camera for pics/vids and probably a throw away camera as well.

Has anyone fished Canada before?? I've never been up there at all, for fishing or otherwise. We still have to book the trip but I will obviously let you all know when we are going and how we do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, should be a blast!
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Deal, have fun and I can't wait to see the pics. I'd love to see huge pike pictures and some monster smallies of course.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ive been fishing Canada since I was a youngin.
Mostly fished in Quebec, but been there lots o times. Twice, did a "fly-in". that was WAY cool.

Lemme know what ya wanna know. I could ramble on for days.

in case your curious... been to:
Lac Chibougamau
Lac Obatogamau- a few times
Lac Kipawa - it sucked real bad.
Lac Poutrincourt-a couple times-this was the fly-in camp
Lac Buade
LaVerendrye; 10-day canoe/camp trip. tried to get a different lake each day.
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<-------------jealous
On twenty-pound test "
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too will be on that awesome Northern Fishin adventure!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEEEETT!!

Fishin Canada is like fishin a different Planet. depending on how far north you trek, even the day light hours are alot longer. you will find you are gettin' hungry, and sun is starting to set, check your watch and its 9:30pm.

You dudes are gonna have a BLAST if you plan and pack right.
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I can't wait...it's all booked Cool

Hopefully the new gear I bought at Cabelas will assist in catching some monster pike and walleye. We will be pretty far up in Ontario on Ramsey Lake...the camp is the only camp on the lake and is accesible only by a several hour long barge ride. (Which means NO FISHING PRESSURE!!!)

Just need to be prepared for potential black flies/mosquitos...don't want to be bit to death.

So excited, I can't wait...I may even see if my little spot has any open water...if it does you may very well catch me there the next few days. The bass might be lazy but who knows, they may hit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Flies, Mosquitoes, chiggers, and no-see-ums... They are BRUTAL up there.

Checklist item #1 should be something with DEET. 100% if you can still find it. Its getting hard to find,..but it is justabout all that works.
Repel makes one that is up in the low 30%, that works around here.

Checklist item #2 should be GOOD rain gear. During the summer up there, due to the long days, the sheer amount of surface water, you will get alot of 'pop up" storms. its cool, its so flat, and the trees are so short, you can see them coming from a ways off. and if your lake is big enough, it could be pouring on the west, and you are wearing shades on the east...
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh...forgot to mention...
If you hit your honey hole, super slow roll a spinner bait, jig n pig, or a jiggin spoon at 0.01mpg will wake em up enough to catch em.

I cant wait til next weekend. gonna break out the bass boat, and see what the pike are doing on the CT.
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishinschmoe- yea deet is a must, saw some 100 percent deet at Cabelas but didn't grab it, probably should soon though....

and that pond still had too much ice, not enuf for safe ice fishing and too much for any shore fishing...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% deet kinda freaks me out, but sounds better than layers of insect bites lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fishinschmoe, i hear that the waters in Northern Canada are very clear when compared to around here, true?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: 100% deet will dissolve monofilament. But I tell ya... a week's worth of carcinogens beats dying of exanguination (did I spell that right?)

As far as the water being clearer, it really depends on the water; and whats around it. Some lakes are CRYSTAL clear. However, most of the waters Ive fished for pike and walleye up there have a very distinctive "tea" color, which is from all the tanens that leech out of the pines. What you won't see, is that cloudy crap we get down here. There isn't much clay up there, and the algae doesn't do so good either... so even the stained water is "Clear"... if that makes any sense.
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the water forecast man! It's gonna be a blast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: