CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Year in review..still smiling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladyfisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Year in review..still smiling Reply with quote

Since I just printed out my 2014 fishing license , I took alittle time to remenisce 2013 . Seemed the spring took its time leaving, the water was cold & my hookups didn't begin to happen till April. I did very little Kayaking ...only used my NuCanoe once this year. I fished the Ausable River Two Fly challenge again this year...didn't place but caught fish...Summertime arrived immediately, with the warm water & low flows I decided to do a float on the Housy from Falls Village & caught my 1st Pike on a fly. Something I have decided I need to do every year. Also caught some quality Bass on a fly....come Fall I did my annual trip out west to Montana, A week of rain, snow, 40 mph wind gusts , it was the best time I ever had out West. I caught the largest Cutthroat Trout (21" ) I know I will ever catch, also caught a personal best Rainbow (20"). But I have to say that the best of 2013 for me was closing out the year in Dec in Pulaski catching not only a personal best Brown , but my 1st Steelhead . 2013 is leaving me with one big stupid smile .

Anyone else care to share their 2013 fishng year ?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! My 2013 wasn't great, nor was it terrible. With a new boat I envisioned monster stripers every trip, but had my most challenging season in years. Some big fish, but not much action on topwater with light tackle or the fly rod. Went blue cat fishing for the first time, and scored three citation fish, the largest weighing in a respectable 43+lbs. All released to grow much bigger! I think I scheduled every pre-planned trip the day after a front passed through Sad I've had some decent days up in Pulaski, and am hoping for several more in the next few months. Certainly shouldn't complain, as any day on the water is a good day. My best day was a father-son trip with two of my old roommates and their boys. Danny caught a ton of fish, including this nice one on my St. Croix ultra-lite and 4lb. mono.

ladyfisher wrote:
....come Fall I did my annual trip out west to Montana, A week of rain, snow, 40 mph wind gusts , it was the best time I ever had out West. I caught the largest Cutthroat Trout (21" ) I know I will ever catch, also caught a personal best Rainbow (20").

On a side, I lived out on a ranch in Wyoming for awhile, with the North Platte River flowing right through my back yard (literally). 'Bows of ridiculous proportions were stocked in Big Creek, but the challenge were wild browns on the main river. The ranch had about 20 private miles of what is considered the best fishing on the entire river. Love to get back out there one day.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start off the year, I had some good days on the Mill River TMA after the state did their first stocking before Opening Day. The pond I go to for bass fishing before Opening Day, aka ice out pond, wasn't as productive as it usually is in March and April, esp with the water levels, but still had some good days with 1 catch being a 4 pounder. Sad thing was the person who originally let me fish the private lake no longer wanted me fishing there, but still have the ice out pond.

Crappie fishing at Beardsley and Twin Brooks wasn't good this spring.

Bass fishing didn't pick up until the topwater bite turned on during warmer evenings. Had some productive evenings in June, July, and August with topwaters at Twin Brooks. 1 catch was a 6 pound pig, being the first time in a while I caught a summer evening topwater pig.

1 thing about June was surprised to catch a few rainbows on crankbaits while we had already had some pretty warm, sunny, dry days. I can't remember the last time I caught trout on a warm day in mid June.

Pickerel weren't as active as they usually would be. 2013 was slower than other springs and late summers/early falls I've had a Twin Brooks.

Left freshwater for a few months before having a nice day to end the year at Mondo Pond, resulting in a number of pickerel and crappie. 1 catch was a 2 pound pickerel.

I was very disappointed with the local bluefishing this year, making it the first time I have never caught a bluefish or seen any bunker splashing in Black Rock Harbor and Penfield Reef in July. The only days I had were early June before all the rain came (36" 12 pound gator) and mid November topwater blitz, marking November 2013 only the second time I've caught a bluefish in the month of November and June's catch being the biggest bluefish I've ever caught from the surf.

On the other hand, stripers were very active during October and November. I had a great time with my lighter setups catching tons of schoolies ranging from the lower teens to lower 20s at Seaside Park. Topwater action was great too! One day hit a total of 27! In May I landed a 32" 12 pound 12 ounce keeper that gave me a fight on my light action setup, making it the heaviest striper I've ever caught in CT and the second heaviest in my life (44" approx 30lb in MA 2009).

Fluke was a disaster this year. Hardly any catches at Seaside Park and Penfield Reef. Of all catches, only 1 was a perfect 16" keeper with all others ranging from 12 to 14 inches.

2013 marked the first time I had ever caught a weakfish. One day in May I got into a school and was having a great time.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Ill bite. I really only fish salt but did take my son trout fishing a few times until he lost interest as usual despite me taking him to some decent places where he caught fish and decent size ones at that. As far as me, I had an pretty good spring. Summer was much better then the last few since I decided this year to use eels instead of plugging for the most part. Instead of going weeks on end getting skunked through the late hot nights I very rarely got skunked and produced some nice fish almost every night instead and also with the eels I didnt have to deal with the damn searobins as they dont like or are afraid of the eels. Now, this winter on the other hand is really sucking ass unlike last year where I was catching 70 in 4 hours. I wasnt expecting that kind of a bite again but a few catches once in awhile would be nice. I think I had 3 productive night this year with like 20 or 30 each night and then a few nights only catching 1 but it would be a keeper each time but now I havent caught 1 in like a week and a 1/2 and that is like 9 trips outbeing about 4.5 -7 hours each time! I hope everyone has a better 2014 except for those who keep shorts or bring home more than their share. Dont let me see you doing it, Ill rither turn you in or beat you with the fish!!!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: