CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Hunting
Viewing Topic: Youth Hunt Success
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Youth Hunt Success Reply with quote

Well My daughter did it. She finally connected on her first turkey and took a nice jake at 4:13pm on 4/16/11 almost 12 hours after I dragged her out of bed. It was COLD and windy in the AM and our first stop on State Land proved to a be a bust. The birds we had last week were no where to be found so after 4 hours we headed out to breakfast and then off to private land - same place with all the birds in my previous post.

My daughter and I were hunting with a friend of mine, so the 3 of us started up the field only to have 6 jakes pop out into the field forcing us to hit the dirt and stay down for almost 15 minutes until they cleared the field. We scurried up to the upper field. As we were standing there deciding what to do, Billy noticed two birds coming up the field from where we were laying just minutes before. We got the blind setup in record time. They came around the hedgerow and my daughter took the shot and missed her first long beard...twice. She never ruffled a feather and they stayed in the field and slowly walked off into the woods. Not long after they came back. about 5 minutes of watching them and 3 jakes come into the field and start chasing the two toms as they are running by 3 more jakes pop out across the field and join the chase. It was funny. We continued to watch birds come in and out of the field and at one point we had 6 jakes fighting each other while 2 other toms tried to seduce a couple of hens. about 3pm we decided it was time to get out of the field and over to where all the birds where in a small open area so we hustled across the field and into the woods. It took us a while to move to the spot thanks to prickers and knowing the birds were around.

We got setup and Billy called and the birds gobbled and then we had 4 jakes in the open, but just to far for the 20ga. They went off into the woods. we called some more and birds gobbled from another direction and came in while the 4 jakes came back. My daughter got one lined up and let it rip only to MISS again. The birds never left and we called them back across the opening when 2 more jakes came in from the field and walked right into the shooting lane where my daughter put one down and the other one started jumping all over him. What a day and we have it all on video.

Here is her bird.....The smile says it all.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bird!! Congrats to you and your daughter.
Stratos17

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story! I had the opportunity to do the same thing with my daughter years ago. It's something I'll never forget!! I think extending the hours is pretty cool too. Congratulations!!!
pepperdawg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIce bird/pic.......Congrats to your daughter....

Doesnt Turkey hunting end at noon? Maybe different for kids weekend?

But congrats!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Congrats to both of you!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw your response pepperdawg. During the regular open turkey season, hunting hours end at noon. For both the spring Turkey hutning training days hunting hours end at 5pm. It was a change made a few years ago when they added the second training day.

AS a certified hunter education instructor for the last 20 years I can tell you that regs change every year and I remind my students to read all of them and not just the ones pertaining to their activity. Always no what is open and valid for everyone at any given time because the there are multiple seasons going on and the rules differ.

pepperdawg

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx PTO - Didnt mean to come off like a jerk - if I did sorry - was just curious more than anything....

Congrats again.....

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem Pepperdawg and no you didn't come off like a jerk. There are a ton of regs to deal with and most folks only read the ones they need to be concerned with and sometimes don't read them every year.

On a piece of private land we are hunting for turkey two other guys from MAss are hutning it. We got talking opening day and told them about the birds the kids shot and one guy was spastic. He had no clue we had youth days, let alone two of them prior to the opener. His buddy starting telling us about the Mass youth day and his knuckle head buddy starting spouting about Mass not having a youth hunt and then complaining that it's not fair , it's educating the birds, etc. It was pretty funny to say the least.

The best part was we haven't seen them again, because we've obviously educated the birds on this property because of the youth hunts. Oh wait, we have taken 3 more from this property since those youth hunts. So much for educating the birds. Very Happy

PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like that guy was afraid of getting outsmarted by a turkey. Some guys never get ejumacated. Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice bird.... im sure you both will remember that for a long time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: