CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Advice for saltwater fishing? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Shark

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Hmm, I will get that Quantum rod/reel combo then today. I also see that they are having $10 off on their combos, so I might be able to get it for $40.

Unless I can find something better at the store today.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not looked at combos so cant help you there and Im OK with what I have which is a 9' Ugly stick and an Okuma Coronado bait Feeder reel. If step up with the rod next time and go St Croix Mojo or Tica or go big with Lamiglas but I really do like my reel. I like the Power Pro Super Slick 40 lb with 50 pb Flouro leader myself but thois really depends on what your doing. If chunking on rocky beach them mono is really better but it doesnt cast as good and every year you need to really replace it due to line memory. I say mono is better because of rock rubbing and stuff. Take a pce of mono and a pce of braid and rub in on a rock and the braid breaks way quicker. I still like the braid though as you can just load the reel up with so much more and not have to replace it until your running low. If going mono which I usually keep 1 pole set up for I load it with Ande 25lb but Ive used the Trilene Big Game line from Walmart before also and it worked fine.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Red Shark

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying another Ugly Stik, but this one was 10' tall and it was designed for both saltwater and freshwater. It is spooled with 14 lb of line and can handle up to 25 lb line. Got it for $30 at Sports Authority today. It was an awesome deal, the only thing this rod doesn't come with is that anti reverse switch control.
Red Shark

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested out the rod today at the river and caught 1 bass, 6 white perch, and 1 yellow perch. Seems like a pretty good rod.

I might change up the 14 lb line on it for 25 lb braided.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you switch to braid remember you want a pole or reel dedigned for most braids or youll want to go with with the smooth braid as some of the other braids are pretty rough anx will start wearing out your guides. On the reel if not designed gor braid youll need to line the reel with backer mono or some electrical tape or the braid will slip on the reel.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: