CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Advice for saltwater fishing? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Shark

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Advice for saltwater fishing? Reply with quote

Hello, I am going to Ocean Beach Park this Saturday and I was wondering, what would you guys recommend for catching some good sized fish? I'm not too sure what I want to be catching, but I'm aiming for anything that the rod can handle.

I am going to be fishing from the shore, I have a medium action Ugly Stik rod with 8lb line. For baits, lures, sinkers, etc, what should I use? Also is there any way for me to cast further? So far with my rod, I've only been able to cast about 100 feet. Any suggestions on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 pound line and a medium action Ugly Stick is more for lighter lures and smaller blues, stripers, fluke, and sea robins. No chunking with that setup.
Red Shark

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I won't be able to do decent fishing with it at the beach then?
Michael

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet would be bring a few spoons no heavier than 3/4oz and a few shallow plugs that can cast out but no heavier than an ounce.

If you're looking into doing more surf fishing and want to catch bigger fish and do some chunking, you need to look into a whole new setup. What you're bringing is considered a "schoolie setup" which means it's meant for smaller fish and lighter lures.
Steak And Eggs

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for casting further, was the line pre-spooled on the reel? when was the last time you changed it? Swirly twirly line is no good for casting and you could get a lot more distance if you have some fresh line on there.
Red Shark

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line came prespooled with the rod. But I went to Dick's today and the guy working at the fishing area told me that Ocean Beach Park isn't that great for surf fishing and said that my rod should be enough.

He suggested that I use sandworms and chopped squid as bait.

Will this also work?
Steak And Eggs

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandworms are good for fluke and probly schoolies, which your setup seems to be pretty good for. My advice would be to go to your local tackle shop when it's not too busy, buy a fluke rig or something and talk to the guys there. They're going to be way more knowledgeable (especially in your respective area) than most other places ie Dick's, walmart, etc. They probly wont tell you their personal spots, but most of the guys at tackle shops know their stuff and would be happy to tell you what to look for.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and IMO dont think your really set up for the surf at all with that equipment. What size lure and line is the rod rated for, it usually says so right on the side of the rod.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Steak And Eggs

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^agreed. Off of a pier you might be alright, so long as a fish doesn't wrap itself around the piling, but it sounds like ya got a pretty light set up there for surf casting. Nothing is impossible tho! But it does help to be prepared for something bigger than the small ones.
Red Shark

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
I agree and IMO dont think your really set up for the surf at all with that equipment. What size lure and line is the rod rated for, it usually says so right on the side of the rod.

It's a medium action rod, which can take between 6-15 lb of line.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like said above then lighter lures will work but if you start throwing a chunk and some weights on there your in for trouble especially with 8 lb line.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Fishfinder said, chunking with 8 lb line means trouble. Sinker and bait vs 8 lb line means SNAP!!! Could also mean broken rod!
Red Shark

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I tried the rod today at Ocean Beach Park...but no luck. Couldn't find a decent casting spot from the shore since the line can't be cast very far. I think it went about 50 feet at max and the waves started to bring it back to shore.

I am probably going to return this rod now and purchase a surf rod. Any suggestions? I think I saw a Quantum rod at Dick's the other day for about $50. I'm not sure which one it was, but it was definitely a surf rod. It was a combo rod, which came with some pre-spooled line, I think about 15 lb or maybe heavier. What do you guys think, will this rod work for me? I don't have a very huge budget, about $50-$60 for a surf rod, but I would appreciate any recommendations for any rods in this price range that can handle better weight.

Thanks!
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford a little more for a surf combo, get the Okuma Sentara surf combo. Seen it today at dicks in Milford for around $80, and spool it up with some 65lb braid with a 20lb flourocarbon leader. I am no saltwater expert but thats just my $.02 FWIW
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Shark...

If in fact that Quantum combo was $50.00 it most likely would be a good starter rig to get used to that type of fishing. I have a Silstar rod/reel combo I bought at Dick's back in the 90's and a Mitchell Orca combo that I still use today.

I myself would get one in the 8&1/2 foot to 9&1/2 foot length.

You don't NEED any BIG $$$ St' Croix rod and a Van Staal reel either, the fish aren't going to know the difference. Rolling Eyes

Good Luck.

JC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: