CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Any good spots for decent sized largemouth bass? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Shark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Any good spots for decent sized largemouth bass? Reply with quote

I've been going to a lot of places trying to catch a couple of largemouth bass, however the only thing biting my line were some white perch and smallmouth bass. Sad

I don't think I've caught anything decent sized yet, so I was hoping if someone could suggest me a good spot where I'd be able to catch good sized large mouths. Thanks!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RS,

There are some Trophy Bass lakes listed in the "Ct. Angler's Guide".
Look it over and see which lake might be closest to you.

SeaDog1
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would depend on how you're fishing RS. Water's getting warmer so if you're casting from shore you have to have luck, or the right spot. Different story if you have a way to get on the water.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people look this over, I read it from time to time. You can see the reports on most species including lmb. Good luck.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/fishing/weekly_reports/fishreport061412.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxpxtx wrote:
That would depend on how you're fishing RS. Water's getting warmer so if you're casting from shore you have to have luck, or the right spot. Different story if you have a way to get on the water.

Yea I am casting from the shoreline.
Red Shark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
Some people look this over, I read it from time to time. You can see the reports on most species including lmb. Good luck.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/fishing/weekly_reports/fishreport061412.pdf

Thank you so much for the link! This will greatly help me now when I go out for fishing! Smile
Megaman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: bass Reply with quote

Lately ive been doing the shore fishing thing as well ( i own 2 kayaks) since my time is very very limited...I have been having success....my 2 Cents...

You CAN catch big bass from shore, despite it being post spawn... early morning(before 9am or later afternoon (6pm onwards) and most importantly use bigger baits ie. 10 inch worms, 4-5inch senkos, large craws, frogs and fish near structure (ie down trees, weeds, near millfoil, near feeder creeks) and fish very very slowly, and use bait SCENT/SPRAY......you will get BITES..i got 2 decent sized bass on 10 inch powerworms yesterday while joe schmoe next to me was striking out drowning nightcrawlers Laughing !!!!!!!!!

find a decent sized LOCAL pond, do some homework(golf courses Wink )..there are many East of the River...FORGET those HUGE trophy lakes, you need a depth/fish finder and a boat and TIME to find the fish...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you using?

agree with megaman. you have to go early, late or get a boat. There is also activity when the sun is highest around noon....

If you want to catch big bass you should use larger baits in general. Texas rigged soft plastics and jigs in the weeds WILL produce if you fish them enough.

As far as spots, if there are little bass in a lake, there will be big bass. They are just smarter than the small ones. They arent as quick to hit something, spooked easier and generally more lethargic. Learn to flip and pitch baits so you can quietly drop them in holes or next to structure. let them free fall straight down then slowly teitch or crawl them for a few feet. Always be fishing something (weeds/docks/structure/drop offs)
mikey5string

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you using?

agree with megaman. you have to go early, late or get a boat. There is also activity when the sun is highest around noon....

If you want to catch big bass you should use larger baits in general. Texas rigged soft plastics and jigs in the weeds WILL produce if you fish them enough.

As far as spots, if there are little bass in a lake, there will be big bass. They are just smarter than the small ones. They arent as quick to hit something, spooked easier and generally more lethargic. Learn to flip and pitch baits so you can quietly drop them in holes or next to structure. let them free fall straight down then slowly teitch or crawl them for a few feet. Always be fishing something (weeds/docks/structure/drop offs)
chud059

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish from the shore... lately my luck has been at Risley reservoir on the vernon/manchester/bolton line....at sundown has been key. I've been using shallow running crankbaits. the Ris isn't very deep, the water is very clear but has decent shore structure and/or coverage and some good access points besides the dam. Again, for me it's been sundown and early night time.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my buddy and I hit Mamanasco for the post spawn bite, we work weeds, docks, shoreline drop offs, stumps, islands, and structure which produces. Once it gets closer to sunset, around 6pm we start hitting them shallower and on topwater.
Megaman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: shore... Reply with quote

shore fished yesterday... local little pond, father and son there throwing inline spinners...drowning nightcrawlers...NO FISH...

10inch curly tail worm..12 casts Nothing......i load up a 3/8oz swim jig and craw trailer(shimano chronarch 200E7)----> WHAM!!!!...got 4 fish in 1 hour..including easy 3 pounder, that danced a tail walk for me......3 other miss hits.....JIG bite is ON.... Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winchester Lake is good from shore lots of cover.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: bass Reply with quote

Ive caught a number of 3-6 lb largemouth bass this year on all different baits at all times of the day the fishing could be better early or late but that dont matter if your fishing the right kinds of cover ive been catching them at oxford reservoir #2 maltby lakes and lake chamberlain latter two need a permit also got a 12 pound cat and a 24" pickerel both at maltby all in all a great bass season this year ill be moving to smallies soon just got back from shinipsit and caught some smallies and ive been catching these monsters from shore all year long it helps to have a good baitcaster so you can throw those lures a mile
mikey5string

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: bass Reply with quote

joesenko wrote:
Ive caught a number of 3-6 lb largemouth bass this year on all different baits at all times of the day the fishing could be better early or late but that dont matter if your fishing the right kinds of cover ive been catching them at oxford reservoir #2 maltby lakes and lake chamberlain latter two need a permit also got a 12 pound cat and a 24" pickerel both at maltby all in all a great bass season this year ill be moving to smallies soon just got back from shinipsit and caught some smallies and ive been catching these monsters from shore all year long it helps to have a good baitcaster so you can throw those lures a mile

where do you fish at maltby?

I have fished there a lot and caught plenty of bass but nothing touching 3 pounds. Have you been there lately?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: