CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Anyone fished Walnut Beach or Silver Snads in Milford?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many times have you caught Sea Robins?
Never
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Less than 5 times
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
5-10 times
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
10-20 times
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
20-30 times
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
30-100 times
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
100 to 200 times
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 21

Razgriz Ace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Anyone fished Walnut Beach or Silver Snads in Milford? Reply with quote

I've fished Walnut Beach quite a few times. All I've caught are Sea Robins (26 inches)and Snappers (6 inches) I can only cast 50 feet out. I've heard reports of bluefish or stripers but never actually saw someone land one. Also, is it legal to fish Silver Sands State Park? Someone told me it was illegal. Please reply

Ace

Last edited by Razgriz Ace on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
CTBASSIN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Milford about two miles from Walnut Beach. All we did as kids was fish there for snappers. We used to give them to an old retired man that lived on our street. When we got older we starting fishing Gulf beach and the sanbar to Charles Island. We caught plenty of blues and strippers in those areas. Once in awhile you would hook into a decent sand shark as well. Sea robins were just part of the deal. I haven't fished in the area or saltwater in 16 years so I don't know what the deal is about silver sands since it was still a dump when I lived down there,

Fitzwater Lures- Best custom jigs on the market
http://www.fitzwaterlures.com/

American Bass Anglers Draw Tournament Trail
CT Division 6
www.abadivision6.com
NSGSplatmaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live about 3 streets down from the park and never fished it.
Razgriz Ace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTBASSIN wrote:
I grew up in Milford about two miles from Walnut Beach. All we did as kids was fish there for snappers. We used to give them to an old retired man that lived on our street. When we got older we starting fishing Gulf beach and the sanbar to Charles Island. We caught plenty of blues and strippers in those areas. Once in awhile you would hook into a decent sand shark as well. Sea robins were just part of the deal. I haven't fished in the area or saltwater in 16 years so I don't know what the deal is about silver sands since it was still a dump when I lived down there,

Thanks, the snappers are fun, especially when they got picky about the way we hooked our baitfish. I remember once, a kid was using a sunfish rod for 6 in. snappers. Then a monster sea robin jumped out of the water and swallowed his bait. His line broke after a few minutes (and almost his rod too)
tommytbomb88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always use my ultra light trout pole for snapper blues and schoolies caught a 28 incher last year on it good fight ill tell u
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

About SeaRobins!

As a kid, my dad, uncles, and I would make a cod fishing trip out to Brown's bank each year during the Mid-January thaw.
Yes! We'd catch Cod but also lots of really big SeaRobins.
My uncle Ed would cut off the tails and save them.
Being a bottom fish they had some of the sweetest white meat you ever ate!

If you get into them -> Try them -> You'll be surprised how very good they are Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Robins are tasty... only part ya gotta watch out for... there is a "line" between the tail meat, and that big ugly head. you DONT want to be cooking up the head.

Along the same lines... BIG skates are also good eatin, but are NOT worth the effort...between the bony structure, and the rubber-spiked skin.

While Im babblin about eatin, and not fishin... Smooth Dog Fish... AWESOME in the pan!! Google it!! British Fish and Chips are usually Dog Fish!!!!

oh... I do eat real fish too !!
Fish_Whisperer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on Walnut beach but havent gotten out yet this year. You can fish silver sands but youll have the best luck on the right side of the sandbar that leads to Charles island.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish Whisperer, Love your Primus quote!
On twenty-pound test "
marchesejack

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: fish walnut all the time Reply with quote

i live pretty close to walnut and silver sands and i have caught monsters. but gulf beach is even better. there is a bridge you can fish under and the stripers run through there all spring, summer, and fall. but i normal have fun with some snapper on at walnut. and you can pretty much catch just about anything at silver sands. mostly sea robin. last august i was fishing low tide at silver sands and there were so many searobin i dropped the lure by my feet and they would hit it. there were 100's that day, craziest thing i ever saw in my life!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: