CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Bait fish in CT?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basscaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Bait fish in CT? Reply with quote

I really never paid much attention to the type of bait fish in my local ponds and lakes. I should have a better handle on this beyond buying bluegill colored square bills. It's a guessing game when I'm buying tackle. What bait fish will be the most common forage in lakes/ponds in new haven county?

Also as I have been paying more attention to this I have seen active schools of baitfish on the surface in open water with their fins cresting the surface at my 2 local ponds and often see them being hunted by bass but have no idea what they are as they scatter from my kayak when i get remotely close. One of the lakes is a trout I'm pretty sure and definitely catfish stocking reservoir but the other is not managed at all and I see similar schools on the surface.

Any insight would be great.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surface schooling fish are often white perch. Sometimes, they don’t seem to eat anything at all, but try a small crankbait.

The most common forage for bass in our lakes and ponds, by far, is crayfish. That’s what you find when you clean out your livewell after a tourney.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this to be the most effective way to fish in CT rivers...heck anywhere.

Catch the smallest sunnies/or cray fish possible > work your way up the food chain.

There has been # of times I pulled a really nice size Pike on a sunny....or small perch....they love them.

You can also start with Minnows which IMO is highest % bait.

With plastics your % drops significantly.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: