CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: breakneck 12-31-10 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: breakneck 12-31-10 Reply with quote

The ice should be five to six inches. I am walking in for the first time this year.
if you want to hike in, I will start at 8am
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: breakneck 12-31-10 Reply with quote

metalfish wrote:
The ice should be five to six inches. I am walking in for the first time this year.
if you want to hike in, I will start at 8am

Heck yeah I'll be there.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh NO!

You guys are really going to hike in that long road dragging your sleds + gear thru 12-14 inches of snow then back Question Shocked

And what happens if you find there isn't any reliable ice when you get there Question Rolling Eyes

Oh - And by the way Exclamation -> Has anyone checked to find out -> that when the gate is closed is the area is now off limits for the season and is ice fishing is even allowed Question

Best you find out before you go Exclamation

Me -> I'm going to be realistic Exclamation Drive to lake -> Parking lot -> 10-15 yds. to the ice -> drill my holes -> Fishing within 20 minutes Exclamation Very Happy Thumbs Up
If I have to go as far as you plan to hike -> Snowmobile or ATV with sled in tow Exclamation

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How clear do you think the path would be? Would snowshoes be a good idea?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Phil! Rolling Eyes

Think! -> If you even have to bring up the subject of snowshoes -> What kind of conditions would warrant the need for such equipment.
Yeap! Deep Snow Exclamation
As for the path -> Buried under snow obviously, wind drifts maybe, encountering flippy's cousin Bigfoot Shocked Very Possible Exclamation Laughing

Walking and working that far and hard to go ice fishing is NOT my idea of fun Exclamation
As I said -> 20 minutes from parking lot to time setting up and fishing is my goal.

This is Ct. -> No need to play Nanook of the North trudging thru the Canadian wilderness to get to ice fishing waters Exclamation Rolling Eyes

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadog1 - Have you ever been to Breakneck? The torture one endures getting in/out of there is offset by spectacular scenery and incredible fishing. I've walked that 1.2 miles 8 times this year, and I'll be the first one to admit that it physically sucks, especially if you're a smoker/carrying heavy stuff. Lots of mini rest breaks. However, upon reaching the southern end of the pond where the sky opens up and there's stumps everywhere...it's more magical than Disney World to a 5-year old.

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/omg-lake-x-rocks-t5014.html?highlight=breakneck
http://www.ctfishtalk.com/breakneck-6-25-t5245.html?highlight=breakneck

It's entirely possible that hikers have already flattened out the path, the ice is solid, and the fish are hungry. Either way, I don't care - I'll go there anytime I can find another lunatic willing to make the trek.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen - We got it. You're not coming along. That's okay! LOL!

Kira - I have no gear. I'll trade you a ride for a loaner rod and reel. Pick you up at 7:15 AM?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Stephen - We got it. You're not coming along. That's okay! LOL!

Kira - I have no gear. I'll trade you a ride for a loaner rod and reel. Pick you up at 7:15 AM?

Better make it 7 - we're going to need to get bait. I think it will be relatively easy if we just take turns pulling just one sled if possible. BTW, prepare to walk an additional half mile each way. I'll take you right to the magic spot.

How on earth did you post at the same exact time I did?

PECo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fast. Really fast! Very Happy

Well, I hope that you would know where to stop for bait. I have no idea.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forecast currently says lower 40's, wind 4-6 mph...time to use up your leftover 2010 sick day, employed people!

Last edited by TurtleKiss on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Kira! -> Call DEP first and check if the area is open at this time of year.

No sense getting all wound up about going there if it's closed Exclamation

SeaDog1

OK! -> Update -> I called DEP -> Breakneck is Open Exclamation
metalfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a extra pole, showdown, plenty off jigs and this is going to be sweet. Back packing in. No sled I am learning. Everything you need for a great day of jigging fits in a back pack. Cool
dave_376

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to go ice fishing I took a 6 gallon bucket (taller than 5=more comfortable to sit on) and my Mora auger. Everything I needed either fit in the bucket or on it. I would put the bucket in to auger offset and put it over my shoulder. This way I could almost walk hands free**, the auger bucket combination would basically balance themselves on me shoulder. I have used this setup to walk 2 miles in with 18-20 inches of snow, while everybody with a sled bitching I was fishing because it was so much more portable.

Rods in tubes around the bucket

Tip ups (if i brought them) in a homemade sleeve hung on the bucket

hat, gloves, thermos, jigs, sounders, hooks, snacks, PB&J, BlackBerry, hand warmer packs were all stored in the bucket with plenty of room for the days catch/keep.

Note
** if I brought tip ups I would also bring a cooler of bait and have to carry it my hand.

only downside there is no escape from the wind like a Clam
metalfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_376 wrote:
When I used to go ice fishing I took a 6 gallon bucket (taller than 5=more comfortable to sit on) and my Mora auger. Everything I needed either fit in the bucket or on it. I would put the bucket in to auger offset and put it over my shoulder. This way I could almost walk hands free**, the auger bucket combination would basically balance themselves on me shoulder. I have used this setup to walk 2 miles in with 18-20 inches of snow, while everybody with a sled bitching I was fishing because it was so much more portable.

Rods in tubes around the bucket

Tip ups (if i brought them) in a homemade sleeve hung on the bucket

hat, gloves, thermos, jigs, sounders, hooks, snacks, PB&J, BlackBerry, hand warmer packs were all stored in the bucket with plenty of room for the days catch/keep.

Note
** if I brought tip ups I would also bring a cooler of bait and have to carry it my hand.

only downside there is no escape from the wind like a Clam

Great Idea.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm not an ice fisherman, but I am a firemen. Please remember to bring a rope and some small hand held ice picks.

Just in case someone falls in.

Over my 30 years in the fire sevice, I have had the unfortunate opportunity to do three ice rescues. Neither of them survived, because they could not get out of the water.

Each of them could have been avoided with those two items I mentioned.

Be safe, have fun.

Happy New Year

Just my 2 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: