CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Candlewood lake Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nories

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL..been fishing candy for years..many tournys..I even caught a 7 lb walleye. On the lake..all I can say is fish it..good luck
FishAllDay

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candy is amazing I'm graduating from college soon and plan to be out there everyday! Quick question: I've read a lot on pre-spawn jerk bait fishing for smallmouth but I'm a little hesitant. I feel like the lake in general is so deep that any sort of jerk bait would be suspended much higher than the fish are. Does anyone have any tips on lure selection, depth to fish it in, and structure (humps, docks)? I'd love to get into it I just have zero faith as of now. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
eatsleepfish91

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always wanted to go there, but it's quite the trip from where im at. Are there many public launches or mostly private access?
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two public launches. Squantz Pond and Latins Cove. Certain times of the year you can launch out of Danbury but its closed to the public from April till September I believe.

The launch manager is pretty strict so I would hesitate using Danbury Park launch.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The state record for Walleye was caught in Candy. You have to put some time in To get consistent with this body of water. The biggest fish in the state are in this huge lake. 75% of the lake is in New Fairfield. 13 miles long. Covers: Sherman, New Milford, Danbury, New Fairfield, Brookfield. I generally stay away because of the intimidation factor of having only a row boat. If I go in my row boat, I stick to the causeway (Squantz/Candy)and always catch huge smallies and perch. Trolling for trout is my thing so I stick to Ball Pond and Mt Tom.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: re: fishallday Reply with quote

In response to fishallday: I'm not much of a jerkbait fisherman, but wouldn't you try to get your boat in the depth or a little deeper than the depth the jerkbait dives to and just cast parallel to shore?
AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: re: fishallday Reply with quote

In response to fishallday: I'm not much of a jerkbait fisherman, but wouldn't you try to get your boat in the depth or a little deeper than the depth the jerkbait dives to and just cast parallel to shore?
Jjconnaire

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
First of all thanks for responding to my original post! Learning a lot from everyone. I put my boat in the slip this weekend! I picked up some alewives from candlewood bait and had my aerator on overnight and my aerator died and all of them died lol... I was fishing with 2 other buddy's and we were fishing swim baits, crankbaits, and a jerk bait. We decided to throw one of the dead alewife on a extra rod and throw it on the rod holder just for sh*ts and giggles. Turns out 10 sec after the dead alewife hit the water, the rod was bowing in half and we pulled in a 20" 4lb smallie! Lol it was too funny. Our first fish in the boat and it was a doozey
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jjconnaire wrote:
Hello all,
First of all thanks for responding to my original post! Learning a lot from everyone. I put my boat in the slip this weekend! I picked up some alewives from candlewood bait and had my aerator on overnight and my aerator died and all of them died lol... I was fishing with 2 other buddy's and we were fishing swim baits, crankbaits, and a jerk bait. We decided to throw one of the dead alewife on a extra rod and throw it on the rod holder just for sh*ts and giggles. Turns out 10 sec after the dead alewife hit the water, the rod was bowing in half and we pulled in a 20" 4lb smallie! Lol it was too funny. Our first fish in the boat and it was a doozey

Candlewood and Squantz are loaded with alewives, so that's not a big surprise. Perhaps you should try throwing artificial lures that imitate distressed alewives. Crayfish imitations aren't bad, either. Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jjconnaire wrote:
Hello all,

drop shot the dead alewives

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea? How deep? I was just breaking in my new yamaha f25 four stroke so I was sticking around chicken rock and deer island. I was marking 35-40+ ft around there. I plan to explore more of the lake when I break in my yammy
Jjconnaire

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a picture... but how do i post it in here?
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deer Island is awesome if you take the time to research it.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you are looking for big fish because Candlewood has got them. Fish are in pre spawn for the most part right now. I've been catching big crappies mixed with big largemouth and smallies. I've caught several crappie over 2lbs this spring with 2 being 2lbs12oz and one a little while ago through the ice at 3lbs even. Just caught my biggest largemouth this spring yesterday at 4lbs 12oz on a big crank. I've seen a couple smallmouth come out around 3.5-4lbs, but we have pretty much been targeting crappies. Just want to clear up the one report someone mentioned seeing lake trout that look like carp. I think you are referring to lake dwelling trout(rainbows and browns) because there are no lake trout in Candlewood. I just don't want there to be any confusion.
anointed130

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never fished candle wood lake before, is it worth taking the hour drive, I usually stick to the northern part of the state

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: