CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Candlewood lake Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jjconnaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Candlewood lake Reply with quote

Hello fellow fishermen and women,
I am opening a thread about Candlewood lake since I did not see a thread dedicated to it. I am new to this lake so I only know what I have read online. All I know is that it is loaded with alewife, smallmouth, largemouth, rainbows, and brownies. (Along with cats, rock bass, sunnies). This lake is also very deep, averaging 35ft and having a max depth of 90ft. I have read some places that there are some walleye in there, can anyone confirm this? Please share any information about this fishery.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that in a bass tourney there last weekend, the winning eight fish bag was 32 pounds and the lunker was 5.9 pounds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was up there last weekend working on the house, not fishing but there were a TON of boats on the water.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jjconnaire wrote:
I was up there last weekend working on the house, not fishing but there were a TON of boats on the water.

There were almost 60 boats in the tourney, so it was a big one, even for Candlewood.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard of walleye in there?
ripline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jjconnaire wrote:
Have you heard of walleye in there?

Yep. They come in from Squantz but the actual numbers are unclear. I saw a beauty weighed in at an ice tourney a couple of years back. You will hear of sporadic catches now and then.
Jjconnaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! It's always nice to pull up something that you don't expect and at candlewood it looks like it could be a bass, trout, or walleye.... Are you aware of any Muskie, pike, or pickerel in there?
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just about every species in there. I heard of a guy pulling up a 40" pike on a large twister tail worm near the new Fairfield launch. I hear of a few walleye every year. I've caught tons of white and yellow perch, crappie, rainbow and brown trout, I've seen people get pickerel (decent sizers 20" ?), catfish for sure even got some babies near the island across from Gerard's at night, huge smallies (best fishing in CT for them), don't usually get many largemouth but all the ones I've gotten are pretty big 3-4lbs, biggest carp I've ever seen in my life in there and lots of numbers, rock bass, jumbo bluegill and pumpkin seeds everywhere, golden shiners, alewives, bluebacks, even seen goldfish, only fish i be never heard of were salmon musky and lake trout (do lakers even live in our state anymore??) Although I bet there are some salmon in there. Obviously no bowfin which I'm glad . There are tons of fish in there for sure and many species which is neat cause you never know what you will get. Best bet for walleye is near the squantz causeway but don't expect to get one that day cause they're not too easy to get out of the squantz side. I've fished candlewood since I was 10 or so and I'm 16 now so if I've heard all of that then I bet some old timers who lived on there for 30+ years have a lot more stories and knowledge than me.Good luck, you'll end up with something when fishing there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post man, thanks a lot! I'm super excited to just get on the water. I'm a younger guy as well (26) and looking forward to learning the lake. I'll post how I do this weekend. My slip is rite by chicken rock, so I plan on hitting that area up first.
Cheers
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candlewood is also very well known for its jumbo sized humpback yellow perch.

There are tons of yellow perch 12" and bigger in there that feast on smaller alewives. The females get huge during the late winter months while they have eggs in them.

Brown trout can be of very nice size in there. My personal best brown trout came from Candy while ice fishing one year. It weighed 5.1 pounds.
Jjconnaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I guess I couldn't have asked for a better lake to keep my boat on. Like I said my boat slip is rite across from chicken rock. Any good spots around that area? I have a topography map and those 2 islands look like great places with the sudden drop offs and humps
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked the Brian Kershal Memorial tourney on Sunday (57 Boats)y. The 26 Angels tourney (47 Boats) was on Saturday. Both launched out of Danbury Park. Between both events more than 600 Large and Small Mouth were caught over two days. All were released on the Danbury Town Beach.

That area of the lake is loaded right now.

Research Paul Mueller. He has many video's on Youtube on Candlewood fishing. He shows you what to use and how to use it. He also has a awesome picture on his web site of a 6lb Walley that was caught on Candy last year. I've seen Lake Trout swimming by my boat I've mistaken for Carp.

The winning bag of 8 Fish limit was over 32lbs on Sunday. On Saturday with a 5 fish limit the winning bag was 22 lbs.

A few boats did come back with none but not many.

Fishing during the week is awesome all year around. The only time I fish Candy on Sat or Sunday is at night or early morning unless I have a scheduled tourney.

Last edited by Wanna Fish on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jjconnaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome tons of videos with Paul muller. I am scheduled for a guide named jerry hammond in 2 weeks. Have you guys heard of him? He has a couple YouTube videos also
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Paul Mueller, not Muller. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Phil I corrected it Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: