CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CTR 7/8 - 7/12 Enfield - East Windsor Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: CTR 7/8 - 7/12 Enfield - East Windsor Reply with quote

I have been wading the river for the past week or so for a few hours at a time. Fished about 5 different spots, some fast shallow water and some deeper slower water with some grass. Each time out I caught less fish than the first, but the fish were getting bigger. Managed to get over 20 smallies my first time out, but not many over a pound. In the faster water I had better luck casting across or downstream and bringing the bait back up, hopping it rather fast. In the slower water best approach seemed to be swimming it downstream or around and through the grass. Best fish was just under 3# and it came from an eddy formed by a rather large rock in 2' of water. Pretty much every fish came from behind a rock, log or some form of current break. I had much better luck in the faster water and was able to cover alot more ground. Went fishing with a buddy who was throwing a rooster tail, caught more fish than my tube but of smaller size.

I also launched the canoe from kings island and went .5 miles down stream and about a mile up river. Water gets moving pretty fast the further upstream you go, I had good luck just positioning the boat in a pocket and casting into riffles. Gets a little hairy paddling over the rocks to get past the old dam but the ride back down was fun, only caught a few up that way. I tryed some spinnerbaits, phoebes, and senkos but almost every fish came on a smoke/red flake tube (also tryed black/blue, G pumpkin, watermelon, and brown. smoke was a clear favorate) . 1/8 tube jig for slow water and 1/4 for fast, worked so well I ran out and can't seem to remember where I bought em. The fish would slam it hard, even the small guys with mouths barely bigger than the tube would crush it and run down river. I also managed to bang off my transducer mount on a rock, so looks like I'll be going back to in hull with the next one.

One of the larger ones, don't mind the blood fish was hooked through the tongue and swam off fine.
RobO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report DV.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish!
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Derek!
Fishface

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Smallie, Good report, never fished that part of the river.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Derek...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out again on 7-15, fished from 2-4 and 6-8. Started off buy using chigger craws texas rigged until I lost a tungsten weight and started putting them on jig heads. Hooked into a good one right off that back that took a run and bent the lightwire hook and escaped, scraped that plan and went back to tubes. Fishing was slow so I moved around a bit till I hooked into a few better fish, changed it up again to 3/8th jigs.Started throwing a blk/brwn jig with a black trailer around and letting it rest on the bottom with the current doing the work. Size of the fish increased with the smallest going 16", worked my way back and made a cast to a spot I knew held fish. Hooked into a monster than pulled drag right off the back, couldn't get a hook in and made another cast. Hooked back up with the same fish and put pressure on it, made a long run and them swam right at me. By the time I saw it, it saw me and came up just enough to throw the hook. At this point I was beyond words, this fish was pushing 22" and 4#s and I had missed it TWICE! I went home muttering cuss words, that didn't last long as I couldn't stand the defeat and headed back out rearmed with a longer rod and 15#pp. Worked some different spots and caught a few more 1.5 and 2lb fish till I lost the 2 jigs that were working. Tied on a similar jig and made maybe 100 casts to the home of the larger fish, I was going to beat this fish into submission. Ended up hooking up with a slighty smaller fish that went 20.5" and a hair over 3lbs on the scale, this fish lacked the holes I put in the others ones lip so I know the big one is still out there. It is weird how some fish are long and slender while others are short and fat, I notice the fatter ones like to jump more with the last one making about 8 jumps on the way in. Caught one more football shaped 15" 1.5lber and called it quits. Lost about $20 in jigs and weights and a 4lb fish, but I had a good time. Here is a few of the larger ones.

chumley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice fish DV ! your gonna make me head out there you know!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is is definitely a good time, till you fall in/drop your phone/soak your cigarettes or my new personal favorite not leaving on time and wading in the dark.
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked it out last night looking for bait on DV info. Didn't see anything - big river for a school of baitfish to stay in the same area. Funny you mention the cigg thing because mine met the same fate, along with my wallet, keys, etc. Rolling Eyes

Was fun though. Reminded me of a time when fishing was much simpler.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao!! didnt you get my pm about leaving before dark!!!!!! lmao!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek,
Those are awesome looking smallies. I got a pair of waders, you gotta take me with you one time!

Jim
DV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I got the pm right after I got home, when it was dark..... Rocks get bigger when the sun goes down.
chumley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no waders!!!!! they will get you killed,pair of jeans no slip shoes leave your phone wallet in car zip lock your smokes and rip some lips

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they do!! its also funny how it always seems the water is deeper on the way back and shore is farther than you think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: