CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: dispicable release tatics observed today Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait i have a question, were the fish even gut hooked? Were the hooks removable at all?
anointed130

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just wondering, but if the kid and his father was keeping everything they caught would that also be a problem. I think people fail to understand that everyone does not use the same fishing tactics and everyone doesn't fish for the same reasons. The issue is NOT that serious at all.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
angry john

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although i dont think you should be using barbed hooks to catch and release trout, i do believe in most cases, that people would handle the trout so poorly that the damage done, time out of the water, would be death either way. I dont eat fish, mostly because the wife has the kabosh on bringing them in the house. I bend the rules by giving my fish away. Per example i gave my 4lb 12oz trout that i caught on sat to another boater. It fought very hard for a long time and the acid buildup meant death if i let it go. I was not targeting trout at all to begin with, but i felt that it was the best course considering the situation. Now if the fish swallows the hook, then by all means cut the line and carefully release it. The long toss or football spike is no way to treat a living thing you expect to keep living. The best way to make a change is to show the youngster the correct way, and set a good example. Killing with kindness is a great tool if you can get over your pride. Its a big pill to swallow.
Night Fisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my daughter and a bunch of other little ones to day pond yesterday. First time for many of them. I must of saw 30-40 dead trout floating around. Water teststhere recently show it safe to swim, so no contamination. Its people just not caring or were never taught. I honestly think there should be a course sometimes. I catch and release often. Esoecially trout and other small fish. Having the kids see that made me instantly teach them how to release first. I understand gut hooks arerare to save, but throwing the fish 30' back into the water iisn't helpful either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely don't believe in throwing a fish like your in shotgun formation, that's just cruelty.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
SeaDog1 wrote:
Yeah! ... It says exactly as I stated -> Remove hook or cut line as close to hook as possible and cause as little injury to the fish as possible !

So what's your problem with that Question
Oh! ....I would be safe to assume their release recomendations applys to all fish !
CHEECH ! ......Lawyers Rolling Eyes

Really, Stephen?!?! It doesn't take a lawyer to understand the IGFA's Release Rules and Recommendations. I think that anyone with the reading comprehension and cognitive abilities of a fifth grader would understand that you're flat out wrong. The maturity to admit when you're wrong would help, too. Your apparent need to believe in your infallibility and water soluble fish hooks is absolutely astounding. While you're welcome to continue believing the BS that you're spouting, my problem with it is your compulsion to spread it in a forum like this, where it might be read and believed by those who don't know any better.

The scientific evidence is that fish mortality is more negatively affected by leaving hooks in fish than by removing them. This is reflected in the IFGA's Release Rules and Recommendations. They do not say, remove the hook or cut the line at the hook. They say (emphasis supplied):
Quote:
The hook should be removed if at all possible and will not cause additional harm to angler or fish.

If the hook cannot be removed, the leader should be cut as close to the hook as possible.

Applying this to the situation described by coastieyaker, the father and son should have removed the hooks from the trout before releasing them.

CHEECH ! ......Angry old guys Rolling Eyes

Oh Phil,

What are you ranting about ?

Mabey I didn't use the exact same words, but I did say "Remove the hook and if deep hooked cut the line at the hook and cause as little injury to the fish as possible" !
That is pretty much what the IGA (bullet #2 and #3) release recomendations says!

I am not going to get into a ridiculous argument with you over this !
Go back and re-read the posts counselor.

Now you want to be the new messiah of C&R, and tell everyone to gouge out a deeply hooked fish and cause it more stress, trauma, and injury -> then you do so !

Me -> I would prefer to cause the absolute least amount of injury to a fish, no matter what species, -> so I will continue to cut the line at the hook with a deeply hooked fish and give said fish as much of a chance at survival then to gouge the hook out.

If that's so wrong -> Then I'm guilty as charged counselor Exclamation

Phil, .....You do a good job pointing out and posting rules, regs, and the law -> but in this case you blew it "Big Time" ! -> and you even made demeaning public remarks of my ability to read and comprehend ........Tisk - Tisk - Tisk -> Now who's really acting like a fifth grader here !
I'm stunned -> stunned that you of all people could stoop to such a low level.

I have no idea what made you take off on such a wild rocket ride with your tirade -> But please, send us a post once you've loop around PLUTO and are headed back to the home planet !
And Oh! -> Remember to tap on the brakes every so often so you don't overshoot !

SeaDog1...."Angry Old Guy"
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angry AND ridiculous. Best of luck with that, Stephen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Really Question

That's a pretty petty response, from a well educated barrister !

So be it ! ..... You gouge out all your hooks from deeply hooked fish.
Wonder how many of your fish will have a fighting chance at survival once you stress them out and rip their gills and throats up !

SeaDog1
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with Seadog on this. Ripping the fishes guts out to extract your hook is a sure death to the fish. When gut jooked I cut as close to or even cut the hook if possible. I do agree with pinching the barbs but will afmit to not always remembeting to do so until Im strughling eith a release snd then say sh!t and do it then. Typically though Im fadt at the set and dont let fish get gut hooked.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cut the line and leave the hook the fish wont eat because it has a hook jammed in its stomach. Also if you can see the barb while its in the fishs mouth then clip the barb and it'll come out. And if you hold the fish in moving water or move it back and forth and actually support the fish then it should be good. Otherwise it'll be slamming the rocks and on a journey for a sure death.
angry john

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moving the fish back and forth is also a misnomer. There only designed to move fwd, and moving them backward is not good either. Keep the fish in the water, handle as little as possible, and just hold in place while the fish recovers. If it was a decent fight the acid buildup in its muscles means the fish is most likely a gonner. Trout are not a great sport fish due to being so sensitive. Catch it keep it, eat it, or give it away.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed the part where coastieyaker said the trout were deeply hooked. Rolling Eyes What he described is a father and son cutting the line at the hook as a matter of routine.
fishfinder wrote:
Im with Seadog on this. Ripping the fishes guts out to extract your hook is a sure death to the fish. When gut jooked I cut as close to or even cut the hook if possible. I do agree with pinching the barbs but will afmit to not always remembeting to do so until Im strughling eith a release snd then say sh!t and do it then. Typically though Im fadt at the set and dont let fish get gut hooked.

Wade, my problem is with SeaDog1's statement:
SeaDog1 wrote:
They where properly using the alternative method of C & R, which is to cut the line at the hook. Thumbs Up

That's totally incorrect when it comes to responsible catch and release. The first step in responsible catch and release is removing the hook, if at all possible. And by "if at all possible", I mean without causing further harm to the fish, just like the IGFA says. You don't think that it's never possible to remove a hook from a fish without causing further harm to the fish, do you? Rolling Eyes

Cutting the line at the hook isn't "the alternative method of C & R". Cutting the line at the hook is the last resort.

And SeaDog1's belief that hooks somehow dissolve in a few days? Well, that's just silly. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wildtroutstreams.com/CatchRelease/catch_and_release_review_and_guidelines.pdf

and now the other side of the story...
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTfirefighter wrote:
http://www.wildtroutstreams.com/CatchRelease/catch_and_release_review_and_guidelines.pdf

and now the other side of the story...

Nice report. But it says that cutting the line is the last resort, too:
Quote:
Unhooking a Fish
• Have longnose pliers available to back the hook out.
• Remove the hook quickly, keeping the fish underwater.
• If the fish is deeply hooked, cut the line and release the fish as quickly as possible.
• Avoid using stainless steel hooks as they take longer to corrode if left in the fish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if thats all you came away with then , you didnt read the whole article
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: