CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: dispicable release tatics observed today Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: dispicable release tatics observed today Reply with quote

I have to get this off my chest,
My buddy and I were at Great Hollow Lake in Monroe this morning,
Naturally there were tons of father/sons out there which was great to see, however there was one young gentleman fishing next to me that was using disgraceful release tactics.

He was catching great looking trout one after the other and I observed him cutting the line at the hook and releasing it back in the water.

After seeing this occur three times my friend says to the 14 year old, "do you want to keep a spare set of pliers I have for your trout"? The kid responds by saying "no I just cut the line at the hook and throw it back in the water."

At this point I was furious and then saw the dad doing the same thing,

Had there not been so many young kids there , things could have really gone south, but we chose to say a little something and leave.

I would imagine n one in this forum releases fish in this terrible manner, so I think this is a safe place for me to vent.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No need to get furious whatsoever !

They where properly using the alternative method of C & R, which is to cut the line at the hook. Thumbs Up

If the fish is hooked deep in the mouth, it is better to do as they did and recomended, then to cause futher injury to the fish by trying to pry the hook out with pliers.

The hook will rust out in a few days (as long as its not stainless steel) and the fish will mostly not be impaired in any way and continue its normal activities.

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
The hook will rust out in a few days (as long as its not stainless steel) and the fish will mostly not be impaired in any way and continue its normal activities.

That's not true. I had wondered about this persistent "myth", because common sense tells me that metal hooks simply do not dissolve in water like candy canes. A few days? Really? Rolling Eyes If you don't believe me, here's an article that discusses a study done by John Foster, Recreational Fisheries Coordinator for the Fisheries Division of the Tidewater Administration of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, with striped bass in brackish water:

http://www.nesportsman.com/articles/article11.shtml

If you can't or don't want to read the article, the bottom line is Foster recommends that anglers carefully remove hooks from deeply hooked fish.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Well we agree to dis-agree !

Additional handling and injury to a fish can occur by trying to remove a deeply hooked fish.

I opt to cut the line at the hook and thus reducing said trauma, handling and injury to the fish.

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read several different articles about this subject. One of the things that puzzles researchers is the persistence of the myth. In an article entitled, "Deep Hooks: In or Out?", Ralph Manns wrote:
Quote:
Those of us who try to share the findings of scientific study with non-scientists are often frustrated.. It seems very difficult to get the word out. We write about some important discovery, but find anglers, particularly the influential professional and TV bass anglers, either don't read the new information or dismiss the new scientific insights because they conflict with beliefs the anglers already hold.

Ignorance is bliss. Rolling Eyes You stay happy, Stephen. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignorance is bliss. Rolling Eyes You stay happy, Stephen. Laughing

You too Phil ! Thumbs Up

SeaDog1
Stevius86

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method is to punch a fish in the gut or use the Heimlich maneuver...
CTfirefighter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i,ve seen FAR more trout floating because of someone trying to take a hook out of a deeply hooked fish rather then just cutting the line....

guess the old saying is true.....dont always beleive everything you read
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My feeling is -> do the absolute least amount of injury to the fish and release it while it's strong and give it the best chance of survival.
For me, that means cutting the line at the hook when it's hooked deep.
Injuring the fishe's gills trying to remove a deep hooked fish would most likely cause it to bleed and introduce infection.

IGFA recomends this method for Marline, Sailfish and Tarpon tournaments !

SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
IGF recomends this method for Marline, Sailfish and Tarpon tournaments

Does IGF have a recommendation for trout and largemouth bass, too, Stephen?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one cares about trout. Its a put and take fishery. 90% of the stocked fish dont make it till winter.

Ive caught tons of bass with hooks coming out of there ass etc. Id say the skin around the hook rots/pushed out the hook WAY before it rusts out. Then they pass the hook which is why you catch bass with a hook coming out of there ass.

I cant remember the last time I gut hooked a fish, but to each his own. Pulling on a hook lodged in a bass throat is NO bueno, its literally a death sentence and id give the fish less then 50/50 odds- id rather see you cut the line and release the bass where I feel it has better then 75/25 odds.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the true recommendations from the Release Rules and Recommendations in the IGFA's International Angling Rules ( http://www.igfa.org/images/uploads/files/IGFA%20International%20Angling%20Rules_English.pdf ):

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Yeah! ... It says exactly as I stated -> Remove hook or cut line as close to hook as possible and cause as little injury to the fish as possible !

So what's your problem with that Question
Oh! ....I would be safe to assume their release recomendations applys to all fish !
CHEECH ! ......Lawyers Rolling Eyes

Man ! Your getting cranky in your old age ! LOL Laughing

SeaDog1
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickp wrote:
No one cares about trout. Its a put and take fishery. 90% of the stocked fish dont make it till winter.

Ive caught tons of bass with hooks coming out of there ass etc. Id say the skin around the hook rots/pushed out the hook WAY before it rusts out. Then they pass the hook which is why you catch bass with a hook coming out of there ass.

I cant remember the last time I gut hooked a fish, but to each his own. Pulling on a hook lodged in a bass throat is NO bueno, its literally a death sentence and id give the fish less then 50/50 odds- id rather see you cut the line and release the bass where I feel it has better then 75/25 odds.

No one cares about trout..? You kidding me? So much money goes into trout its pretty crazy. The reason you never gut hook a bass is because their mouths are larger and the lures youre using are most likely on a retrieve instead of the people that use worms and corn and float them downstream hoping to get caught in a trouts mouth midway. Also bass are alot more hardy than trout. Trout arent meant for alot of the places theyre stocked in. They're usually stocked because theyre a good eating fish and its a prize for those who catch them.

Heres a tip for you people who gut hook fish, use lures. Wild trout streams/rivers still have trout in them because they dont allow bait to be used in them strictly only lures with one hook and are barbless. If youre catch and releasing then why do you have barbs on your hooks? I find the only reason to use trebles and barbs is if youre keeping the fish. IF you ever so happen to gut hook a trout and its not in a catch and release area and you dont have a full bag of fish then keep the fish theyre good eating too. If the fish arent in a lake or a deep river theyre most likely going to die in the summers heat.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Yeah! ... It says exactly as I stated -> Remove hook or cut line as close to hook as possible and cause as little injury to the fish as possible !

So what's your problem with that Question
Oh! ....I would be safe to assume their release recomendations applys to all fish !
CHEECH ! ......Lawyers Rolling Eyes

Really, Stephen?!?! It doesn't take a lawyer to understand the IGFA's Release Rules and Recommendations. I think that anyone with the reading comprehension and cognitive abilities of a fifth grader would understand that you're flat out wrong. The maturity to admit when you're wrong would help, too. Your apparent need to believe in your infallibility and water soluble fish hooks is absolutely astounding. While you're welcome to continue believing the BS that you're spouting, my problem with it is your compulsion to spread it in a forum like this, where it might be read and believed by those who don't know any better.

The scientific evidence is that fish mortality is more negatively affected by leaving hooks in fish than by removing them. This is reflected in the IFGA's Release Rules and Recommendations. They do not say, remove the hook or cut the line at the hook. They say (emphasis supplied):
Quote:
The hook should be removed if at all possible and will not cause additional harm to angler or fish.

If the hook cannot be removed, the leader should be cut as close to the hook as possible.

Applying this to the situation described by coastieyaker, the father and son should have removed the hooks from the trout before releasing them.

CHEECH ! ......Angry old guys Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: