CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Double digits in CT??? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Double digits in CT??? Reply with quote

I know of a few 9-lbers in the last couple of years, but what do you guys think,...are we gonna ever see a 10-lber in CT??
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF we do I think it comes from either a private pond or a body of water under 200 acres due to the fishing pressure in CT. Maybe somewhere like Cedar, Batterson park, Crystal Lake in Ellington.
Nickp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really think batterson has a chance at a 10? That lake is TOUGH, im guessing it'll fall to your jig chuck Wink

My 8 was out of a pond thats about the same size as beseck, ive done better in small ponds for numbers of 3's, 4's, and 5's but I think you need trout/alewives to put out a big fish. If you fished a huddleston consistently for maybe 2 weeks directly after the stocking of highland I would go ahead and pretty much guarantee a few 5's, 6's, and possibly WAY bigger fish.

You down to give that a try this year mark? Meet up at my house and bring my meyers conversion up. Cool
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I say Batterson is because of the amount of forage in the lake. There are TONS of perch white and yellow and a few other bait fish. I have spooked some monsters really shallow in there in the spring.
Nickp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still think you need a high fat content prey to make a double digit bass- you need a trout eater. That place is an enigma to me chuck , scored 2 bass on a jig fishing no structure in the summer, a 3 and a 1. Couple skunks tossed in to Sad
chumley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will. I also think it will come from a smaller bodie of water that are cartopper only acsess,, low fishing pressure, farmers pond someplace like that.A place like crystal takes a constent beating by fisherman of all sorts. I think every bass in that place has had a hook in its mouth at least twice
T_Shan BAWS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had what I think was an 8+ lb largemouth follow in a 2 lb fish I was reeling in at Candlewood last year ('06). I'm guessing that fish was looking to eat the 2 lber that I had on my line. It was huge, I wish it had hit the fish I had on, that would've been a story for life . . . If that fish was looking to eat a 2 lb bass, it had to be a hawgzilla. The fish turned away once it saw the boat. Some guy caught a 9 lber out of there a couple of years ago as well. I think I've seen reports of a 9 lber (or close to it) coming out of Beach as well.

But to answer the question, someone is going to have to get VERY lucky to have a 10lber bite their lure. You'd think somoene would've stumbled upon one in the past 20 years, ya know? If I see that in my life time, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by T_Shan BAWS on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chumley wrote:
A place like crystal takes a constent beating by fisherman of all sorts. I think every bass in that place has had a hook in its mouth at least twice

True, but the DEP has Shocked some hawgs in there! Just ask Dusty! Wink
THE RODFATHER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK A 10+ WILL HAVE TO COME FROM A LAKE LIKE CANDY OR TWIN MARK MY WORDS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont rule out highland! Plain and simple. You'll see the damage I do there this early spring with swimbaits. Rolling Eyes
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for sure that there is a 8+ pounder in Highland, and probably bigger fish in there too. In a club tourney 2 years ago, I saw with my own eyes, on a digital scale, a 7-15 weighed in. It was caught in late
October, in 22 foot of water on a 4 inch black grub with a chartreuse tail. the guy said he thought he was hung on the bottom, until it started to pull back.

I have also seen 7 and 8 pounders up shallow at Amos during the spawn, but couldn't get them to take a bait of any kind. They get too smart and are very spookey when they get that big and old.

Also Long Pond has shown some huge ladies from time to time.

I think we will see a 10 pounder soon enough, I just hope the angler who catches it, will appreciate it. Not some toothless old wench who goes out 1 time a year and get lucky, or by a white bucket bandit who slaughters it for the dinner table, along with 20 other fish that should go back in the lake because they are to big or to small, because they are unaware of the slot limits on any lakes.

Sorry I didn't mean to start venting, it's just a sore spot I have. Tight Lines All

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think that if it happens that it will probably be from a larger body of water where they stock trout! I think that it will have to be a bass that has the genetics to make it larger than the "normal" CT bass that always seem to top out in the 6-8lb range.
The best chance of this happening to my way of thinking is in a large lake where there is a larger population of bass of all sizes! It's kind of like the probability of finding a person that's 7 feet tall in a small town versus the probability of finding someone in a whole state! Just my $.02
THE RODFATHER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES NICK HIGHLAND HAS SOME BIG BASS IN IT DON'T COUNT OUT HIGHLAND

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Quonnipaug? I've gotten some that went around 7 in there. It's pretty deep. Lot's of baitfish, trout, etc...

Joe
robbyducati

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of the lakes have the same potential genetically,ecept for lakes newly stocked with new breeds.
that being the case it comes down to forage availability + #'s + first year growth.
so to grow a trophy bass (or any kind of fish) you need a lake that has moderate #'s of fish consistently good forage with one year of super bait available, not mention keeping the guys with the white buckets out!!!
find or create that lake and youll have your 10+ nick!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: